Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Coach

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I guess I'd be disappointed if he didn't at least interview other coaches before retaining Casey, if that's the route he goes.
    From an informed shopping perspective, it would make a lot of sense to do so.

But from a relationship maintenance standpoint, it tells Casey that he's not entirely trusted.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It has a lot to do with coaching, assistant coaching, as in the new assistant coaches that Masai forced on Casey this year are why Casey finally doesn't look like shit.
    How on Earth could you know that?

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    How on Earth could you know that?
    Well I'm sure they've had an effect.

But I'm also sure appropriate player personnel has helped. Casey didn't ever have a complete, rounded roster until the Gay trade. It's a little of both, and it's not the end of the world to have a coach who relies on assistants (to a certain extent) and can't turn a rag-tag bunch of effortless scrubs (led by Bargnani and Gay) into a successful team.
    Last edited by stooley; Fri May 2nd, 2014 at 11:20 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Well I'm sure they've had an effect.

But I'm also sure appropriate player personnel has helped. Casey didn't ever have a complete, rounded roster until the Gay trade. It's a little of both, and it's not the end of the world to have a coach who relies on assistants (to a certain extent) and can't turn a rag-tag bunch of effortless scrubs (led by Bargnani and Gay) into a successful team.
    And, of course, remember how the team looked before the Gay trade...when these new assistants were very much a part of the staff

5. Like stooley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Budenholzer is the perfect example of what I'm looking for. He could be championship caliber, and looks really good so far with a very under-talented squad. If they had Horford healthy they might be title contenders the way the East shook out.
    Many could say the same of Casey.

Post Thanks / Like

If we had Horford, we'd be a title contender.

Lets gooo baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Lets gooo baby!
    haha, but not what I meant.

9. Like stooley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the coaches job is to motivate the players, develop culture, to get them to believe in themselves and the team, and to buy in to the system, whatever that is. I have no issues if assistants are completely responsible for developing the system the team will employ. In many cases, I would actually expect them to, and I wouldn't doubt at all if the most successful teams have assistants worry about the x's and o's. Ultimately, even the best system is crap if the players don't buy in, and that is on the head coach. I could care less if Casey can design an offence. He's shown he can design a defence, which is just as important if not more, and more importantly, that he can get his players to play it. And that defensive system Casey has implemented has really defined this teams identity and culture, which has strengthened the locker room and chemistry btw players and staff. No doubt he can improve but as far as I'm concerned he has earned the right to come back.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Please no. This team just got to the playoffs, and this team has overachieved. I know, I was one of those at the beginning of the season who wants Casey to be fired, or those who want him to be the tank commander and get replaced in the offseason. We witnessed how sloppy his offensive sets were (if any), how he calls untimely timeouts, and questionable rotations (Aaron Grey guarding Kobe in the perimeter last year LOL).

But we all so that Coach Casey also improved a lot in his game decisions, after timeout plays, rotations. They're not perfect but he's getting better compared to how he was when he first started, last year, Gay era, etc. He's also one of the classiest coaches who never trashes his players in the media or try to drop F-bombs on interviews just to give himself a tough guy image. Masai also gave him a great support personnel in Nurse and Bayno, who I believe are instrumental in the improvement on how offensive sets are run.

Coaches also grow with the team's growth. Plus we are all witnesses on how this roster is one of the healthiest in the league due to their love and desire to play for one another, and of course, the coach is a key player in that. I'd give him at least 2 years, depending on which direction Masai wants the team to be. Next year should be this team's biggest test, as for sure, the East will be more competitive. This team has to prove that this season was not a fluke.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets gooo baby!
    One big reason to actually aim for 2016 capspace.

Post Thanks / Like

If we were, I dunno, GSW, i'd fire Casey. But he's working with a still-developing roster, without championship caliber pieces yet, and he's seemed perfect. He's coaxed a career season out of Lowry. He's definitely done a good job developing Ross and JV this year, and DD has been a revelation under Casey. Patterson has gone from eh, decent trade fodder to a key cog with a bright future. In the time he's had them, KL, DD, Ross, JV, Hansbrough, GV, and 2Pat have all improved their trade value since when he got them (Although Ross and JV were expected). If you're the GM, you look at this roster as something missing that key cog, and a reasonable way to get that guy is to trade for him. So a guy who has consistently improved your team, and has improved the trade value of almost all your roster except the veteran bench guys and Amir, that's a guy you want to keep in your employ.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    If we were, I dunno, GSW, i'd fire Casey. But he's working with a still-developing roster, without championship caliber pieces yet, and he's seemed perfect. He's coaxed a career season out of Lowry. He's definitely done a good job developing Ross and JV this year, and DD has been a revelation under Casey. Patterson has gone from eh, decent trade fodder to a key cog with a bright future. In the time he's had them, KL, DD, Ross, JV, Hansbrough, GV, and 2Pat have all improved their trade value since when he got them (Although Ross and JV were expected). If you're the GM, you look at this roster as something missing that key cog, and a reasonable way to get that guy is to trade for him. So a guy who has consistently improved your team, and has improved the trade value of almost all your roster except the veteran bench guys and Amir, that's a guy you want to keep in your employ.
    This is just nitpicking, but I couldn't help it, because in what way has Hansbrough improved his trade value? To me it seems it's about the same with no significant movement either way, and I'd think if anything, it's gone slightly down.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The big difference between the two is that Budenholzer looked great from the get go (this is his first season as head coach). Casey looked pretty bad for 2 years in Toronto, and 1.5 years in Minnesota. He has only looked better now with the new assistant coaches Masai got him.

Is no one else concerned that Casey played prevent defense (borrowing an NFL term) the entire 4th quarter against the Nets last game. He was trying to eat the clock while holding onto the lead, and got us completely away from what we had been doing the first 3 quarters. Every offensive possession we were purposefully dribbling the shot clock out until it was under 10, then starting the offense, which resulted in a ton of bad shots. It's boneheaded moves like that (he has so many) which make me not have faith in Casey as coach of the future.
    Last edited by Primer; Fri May 2nd, 2014 at 01:37 PM.

16. Like OldSkoolCool, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This is just nitpicking, but I couldn't help it, because in what way has Hansbrough improved his trade value? To me it seems it's about the same with no significant movement either way, and I'd think if anything, it's gone slightly down.
    Just the feeling I get after he got crapped on in Indiana. But even if we take out Psycho T, there's still a bunch of trade value improvement
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

The big difference between the two is that Budenholzer looked great from the get go (this is his first season as head coach). Casey looked pretty bad for 2 years in Toronto, and 1.5 years in Minnesota. He has only looked better now with the new assistant coaches Masai got him.
    Well, you contribute the teams turnaround to the assistant coaches primarily, but I would attribute it to moving the bad pieces and acquiring more malleable players. Budenholzer, I would imagine, would have a difficult time getting good minutes out of Bargs, especially if he was expected to play him alot of minutes and rely on him offensively.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lionel Hollins comparisons are perfect except Hollins was a good coach before his lame duck year. Hollins didn't get an extension so he refused to play guys and became beligerant and erratic then got swept first round. Except for the sweep its very similar. Casey sucked before and sucks now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    The Lionel Hollins comparisons are perfect except Hollins was a good coach before his lame duck year. Hollins didn't get an extension so he refused to play guys and became beligerant and erratic then got swept first round. Except for the sweep its very similar. Casey sucked before and sucks now.
    Hollins made the conference finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Previous year. He lost it when Gay was traded and wasn't renewed.

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollins got his team to the WCF his final season, then was not rehired. The contentious points between Hollins and management involved the trading of Rudy Gay, which Hollins strongly opposed and his open disdain for analytics, which culminated in a well publicised meltdown toward VP of Operations Hollinger in front of the team.

Nothing similar whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Playoff run, Not renewed, then fired.Hollins is a good coach Casey is a scrub. Interesting but both Gay and Daye were involved in Hollins dismissal.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information