Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
    I don't believe in the concept of "he's a good coach, but he can't win a championship." I think any half decent coach has a chance to win a championship with the right mix of players.

It's like people complaining that T-Mac never got out of the first round. If he stayed with the Raptors and played a supporting role to Vince, he almost certainly would have gotten out of the first round in 2001 (and the Raps probably would have made the finals), but he'd still be the same player...
    Agree. I hate it when people (and commentators on TV) say "Yeah, but he doesn't have any rings," like that is some kind of an indication of anything. Well, it is. An indication of bad management on the part of GM's the guy played for. As if aging veterans that go and play for a stacked team and accept minimal contracts are somehow demonstrating ultimate Bball skills. Acumen maybe, but not skills.

Pops is the great example of a great coach, but who has done the drafting over the years? And how much has Pops learned on the job, with the luxury of starting Duncan and Robinson together while he learned?

I'n not comparing Pops and Casey. Pops obviously IS a great coach, but when you can coach a group of guys with that level of personnel consistency, and you are essentially tweaking a roster each year as opposed to having to figure out a whole new group, maybe it is easier to be a great coach. Of course the Spurs also have the luxury of being able to go shopping for players that fit their system.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
      I don't believe in the concept of "he's a good coach, but he can't win a championship." I think any half decent coach has a chance to win a championship with the right mix of players.

It's like people complaining that T-Mac never got out of the first round. If he stayed with the Raptors and played a supporting role to Vince, he almost certainly would have gotten out of the first round in 2001 (and the Raps probably would have made the finals), but he'd still be the same player. A coach, like a player is one part of a winning formula. Having an all time great coach makes it a lot easier to win, like having an all time great player can. But any player can win a championship with the right mix around him. Same with any non-incompetent coach.
      I mean damn, Tom Thibodeau is an elite coach and has nothing to show for it as a head coach
      @Boymusic66

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Agree. I hate it when people (and commentators on TV) say "Yeah, but he doesn't have any rings," like that is some kind of an indication of anything. Well, it is. An indication of bad management on the part of GM's the guy played for. As if aging veterans that go and play for a stacked team and accept minimal contracts are somehow demonstrating ultimate Bball skills. Acumen maybe, but not skills.

Pops is the great example of a great coach, but who has done the drafting over the years? And how much has Pops learned on the job, with the luxury of starting Duncan and Robinson together while he learned?

I'n not comparing Pops and Casey. Pops obviously IS a great coach, but when you can coach a group of guys with that level of personnel consistency, and you are essentially tweaking a roster each year as opposed to having to figure out a whole new group, maybe it is easier to be a great coach. Of course the Spurs also have the luxury of being able to go shopping for players that fit their system.
        It's certainly an interesting question. People (reporters, fans, etc..) tend to get shunned if they question the greatness of Phil Jackson, he of so many championships, but he's never really coached what would be considered an average team or a team without an all-time great player(s). It's really hard to properly evaluate a GM, coach or core players individually, since their destinies are so dependent on one another.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          ...People (reporters, fans, etc..) tend to get shunned if they question the greatness of Phil Jackson, he of so many championships, but he's never really coached what would be considered an average team or a team without an all-time great player(s)....
          Jackson gets credit for shepherding collections of role players, undoubted stars and sometimes outrageous and conflicting personalities through the regular season. This stuff tends to get sorted out in the playoffs, but Jackson got a lot of teams there. Can't knock him for that. He used role players VERY well...on the other hand maybe that isn't so tough when you have Jordan and Bryant attracting opponents attention. Hasn't worked out for Melo though. Lots of great player don't have rings...the role played by coaches, GM's and staff should not be underestimated. Excellent talent helps

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
            We tried everything with Bargnani. Smitch tried tough love with Bargs (didn't talk to him for three weeks). Bargs was essentially uncoachable. It's simply his personality, and why he tested so high on the Caliper test; he really doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Pop adjusts his strategy to the nature of the player. Tony Parker came into the league very cocky, and Pop had to discipline him into being a "Spurs-type" player. But Pop also gives his young players opportunities to develop in the clutch.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...gregg-popovich

This is why flexibility is so important for a coach. Some players need a tough-love approach. Some need their confidence built up. If we were talking about a reckless gunner like Dion Waiters, I would understand the quick hook. But neither Val nor Ross is like that.

Casey has a very rigid approach to vets and youth that dates back all the way to his time as a coach in Minnesota. It's the hell-or-high-water approach. Given that Masai butted heads with George Karl over developing the Denver youth, I would imagine this is the same subject that was alluded to when it came out that Masai and Casey sometimes butted heads. And I'm guessing that's also why Masai never brought in a true backup C.

Now the question is how that development will continue going forward, given that we likely add another rookie to the mix next year.
            Actiually, I don't know how legit this is. But someone on the main page claimed to be close to the raptors organization and said valanciunis is very cocky and he wasn't being a good teammate after his double double performances in the first couple of games. So if hats true I totally understand how he got the quick hook so much
            Last edited by yabadabayolo; Fri May 9, 2014, 06:12 PM.
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
              Actiually, I don't know how legit this is. But someone on the main page claimed to be close to the raptors organization and said valanciunis is very cocky and he wasn't being a good teammate after his double double performances in the first couple of games. So if hats true I totally understand how he got the quick hook so much
              Haha, that sounds like Casey.

"JV is getting too cocky dominating out there getting double doubles. I better bench him or the vets will get jealous."

Why is it a bad thing that JV was getting confidence from putting up monster games in the playoffs? Why would you punish a player for that? Casey is an idiot.

Forget this humble crap. The best NBA players are the guys who believe they're the best.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Haha, that sounds like Casey.

"JV is getting too cocky dominating out there getting double doubles. I better bench him or the vets will get jealous."

Why is it a bad thing that JV was getting confidence from putting up monster games in the playoffs? Why would you punish a player for that? Casey is an idiot.

Forget this humble crap. The best NBA players are the guys who believe they're the best.
                JR Smith. Kevin Durant.

The best believe they're the best but aren't cocky. They're good but know there's a long way to go. It's a delicate balance.

I'm starting to wonder if you're just trolling, because your opinions are equally as ridiculous as the straw-man you've painted of Casey.
                Last edited by stooley; Fri May 9, 2014, 08:44 PM.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                  JR Smith. Kevin Durant.

The best believe they're the best but aren't cocky. They're good but know there's a long way to go. It's a delicate balance.

I'm starting to wonder if you're just trolling, because your opinions are equally as ridiculous as the straw-man you've painted of Casey.
                  Michael Jordan on line 2 with something to say!

Wilt Chamberlain on line 4!

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    JR Smith. Kevin Durant.

Lots of people on the forums seem to agree with my opinions. It's not trolling just because you disagree.

In addition to what mcHappy said. Kobe, Shaq, Barkley, Bird, Magic.... The list goes on and on. The best players usually have an edge.

Comment

Lots of people on the forums seem to agree with my opinions. It's not trolling just because you disagree.

In addition to what mcHappy said. Kobe, Shaq, Barkley, Bird, Magic.... The list goes on and on. The best players usually have an edge.
                      Do you know who else is cocky, andray blatch, swaggy p, Stephen Jackson. I don't want Jv ending up like any of those losers. I like what Casey is doing because honestly jonas is no mj or Kobe. So chill the fuck up

Comment

Do you know who else is cocky, andray blatch, swaggy p, Stephen Jackson. I don't want Jv ending up like any of those losers. I like what Casey is doing because honestly jonas is no mj or Kobe. So chill the fuck up
                        Jonas is a blue chip prospect. Blatch and Swaggy P were known to be terrible and have lived up to that. Stephen Jackson actually had some pretty good years so I'm not gonna bash him. Jonas could be the most dominant center in the game, and you want to compare him to Blatche and Swaggy P? That's bullshit if I've ever heard it.

Comment

Jonas is a blue chip prospect. Blatch and Swaggy P were known to be terrible and have lived up to that. Stephen Jackson actually had some pretty good years so I'm not gonna bash him. Jonas could be the most dominant center in the game, and you want to compare him to Blatche and Swaggy P? That's bullshit if I've ever heard it.
                          Jonas ain't Kobe or mj, hibert is also cocky as fuck. Jonas shouldn't be getting all cocky after like 2 solid games and one that his team didn't even win.

Comment

• I highly doubt ujiri would keep Casey aboard if he thinks he'll be detrimental to JV's development

Comment

You ripped on Casey for an unlikely rumor that his name wasn't even associated with. It just seems like your digging for more reasons to hate him lol

Comment

Jonas ain't Kobe or mj, hibert is also cocky as fuck. Jonas shouldn't be getting all cocky after like 2 solid games and one that his team didn't even win.
                                Dude what are you talking about? Also Hibbert isn't cocky, he's actually said to be very kind hearted and humble. You're blowing this all way out of proportion.

Comment

Working...
                                X