No announcement yet.

Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, I highly recommend that you guys don't listen to the latest Raptors Republic podcast unless you want to freak out and break your keyboards, lol.

Comment

• Casey makes really odd/questionable decisions.. and I don't think he should be back.. but have there been any signs that Casey's on the hot seat? I even read somewhere that Casey was basically a shoe-in to come back next season. He was like 5th in the COY nominations as well. It would be hard to remove the guy that got you the most wins in franchise history, a division title and a single shot away from the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Casey will probably be back. I suspect MU will probably give him until Christmas to determine if he should stay or if he should be let go. He has to have an extension of course but it's not the first time that a coach got fired after getting a new contract.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        “Nick Nurse has come in and done an unbelievable job figuring out sets and bringing in a different type of offence, a more up-tempo type of offence,” - Kyle Lowry

I think Lowry would be fine with Nick Nurse as head coach.

It doesn't have to be Nurse, I just think he's a viable candidate.
        Well, Nick Nurse's offensive sets were pretty unimpressive in the playoffs - and that's where the effect of coaching is really noticeable.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Casey makes really odd/questionable decisions.. and I don't think he should be back.. but have there been any signs that Casey's on the hot seat? I even read somewhere that Casey was basically a shoe-in to come back next season. He was like 5th in the COY nominations as well. It would be hard to remove the guy that got you the most wins in franchise history, a division title and a single shot away from the 2nd round in the playoffs.

Casey will probably be back. I suspect MU will probably give him until Christmas to determine if he should stay or if he should be let go. He has to have an extension of course but it's not the first time that a coach got fired after getting a new contract.
          Yeah I'm very confident he will be back as well. It's almost a guarantee.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            Well, Nick Nurse's offensive sets were pretty unimpressive in the playoffs - and that's where the effect of coaching is really noticeable.
            In his defence I'm fairly sure it was his first year as an NBA assistant coach. Far different to the D League.

Comment

• Kinda sad about not wanting Casey anymore. I tried numerous times to stick up for him. Not playing Fields on Johnson will remain the most baffling decision I've ever seen a coach make, especially when offense isn't your problem, especially when Fields has shown he can body and muscle big SFs into bad games. It's not like I THOUGHT Fields could do it...he has proved it. I'm done defending him.

I also know that consistency at the coaching position is huge... It's the one spot I wish there was zero turnover. I wish we could find a Pop, Sloan, Carlisle type and just stick it out with them for the next decade.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Isn't it a bit odd that we never saw Casey try his renowned zone defense to try and shut down some of Brooklyn's huge runs? For a guy supposed to be a defensive expert, it looked all series long like Brooklyn executed defensive schemes much better than the Raps. Maybe it's mostly a case of our young guys getting rattled by the pressure, but I'd say Casey looked pretty bad these playoffs, against a rookie coach, no less. And the season ended with yet another "we have no idea how to run a clever 5-second play" exposures.

Casey, Casey. We gotta go. Yeah, yeah, yeah....

Comment

• Casey is not going anywhere.

Comment

• Beagle wrote: View Post
                    Isn't it a bit odd that we never saw Casey try his renowned zone defense to try and shut down some of Brooklyn's huge runs? For a guy supposed to be a defensive expert it looked all series long like Brooklyn executed defensive schemes much better than the Raps. Maybe it's mostly a case of our young guys getting rattled by the pressure, but I'd say Casey looked pretty bad these playoffs, against a rookie coach, no less. And the season ended with yet another "we have no idea how to run a clever 5-second play" exposures.

Casey, Casey. We gotta go. Yeah, yeah, yeah....
                    It's funny how when you remove Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion from the equation, the proof of defensive expertise isn't so easy to find.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      But it's not like we're dealing with a championship nucleus here. Major personnel moves still need to be made before this team can be truly elite.

And so the question becomes: if/when these players are brought in, and the team is legitimately contending for a title...

...would you trust Casey to lead them?

And if your answer is no: isn't the savvy play to get rid of him sooner, rather than later? So that something like a Scott Brooks scenario is nipped in the bud?
                      This right here. When we finally have championship talent, does everyone want us stuck with a shitty coach? Someone who doesn't understand NBA offense. Someone whose defensive scheming let the Nets put up tons of points doing the same exact things over and over and over again. Casey can't think on the fly, he sucks at making adjustments, and he didn't even become half decent as a coach until new assistants were forced on him by Masai. We have 3.5 years of terrible head coaching from Casey, and 1 year of decent coaching where assistants took over a bunch of the head coaches responsibilities.

As for the hot seat comments. It's way too early for that (1 day after elimination). I'm sure we will interview candidates and Casey will get an interview, but ultimately we'll go another way.

Comment

• Casey is not in a hot seat. He is actually in the driver's seat.

Believe it our not guys, there are several other teams that are probably going to make a run at Casey for a head or assistant coaching position.

You guys disagree with a few in-game coaching decisions, and assume a coach is a terrible hack. Look at what Jay Triano has accomplished while assisting in Portland.

People are going to look at Casey's record this season, and how much the team has improved here year after year, and want him coaching their team. And he'll probably do a great job with their team if given the opportunity.

Comment

• Hope somebody takes him. Tim Liewke is hunting for a coach now. Nobody has even mentioned Casey but Lowry, PPat is in every discusion. Nobody is asking MU on the fate of Casey

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                            Casey is not in a hot seat. He is actually in the driver's seat.

Believe it our not guys, there are several other teams that are probably going to make a run at Casey for a head or assistant coaching position.

You guys disagree with a few in-game coaching decisions, and assume a coach is a terrible hack. Look at what Jay Triano has accomplished while assisting in Portland.

People are going to look at Casey's record this season, and how much the team has improved here year after year, and want him coaching their team. And he'll probably do a great job with their team if given the opportunity.
                            Exactly.

Just like Triano, Casey is an unbelievable assistant coach.

Comment

• I don't know why there's so much hate for Casey. I've used different examples before about this but now I have more:

This team was expected to be in the lottery.
                              This team won the Atlantic division with 48 wins, a franchise record.
                              This team hung around in a series against a team that has Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett.
                              Brooklyn has 2+ players better than anyone on our entire roster.
                              Brooklyn can produce 2-3 players that singled-handedly have more playoff experience than our entire roster combined.
                              We nearly beat a team with a payroll of $102M.

Goodness gracious you people, I'm not sure what else there is to say. You can't fire a coach that is causing your team to play better than they are supposed to. Unless your name is Bryan Colangelo.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                                Casey is not in a hot seat. He is actually in the driver's seat.

I'd be very surprised if Casey doesn't come back - unless we actually do tear this thing down (trade DD, sign and trade Lowry).

ebrian wrote: View Post
                                I don't know why there's so much hate for Casey. I've used different examples before about this but now I have more:

This team was expected to be in the lottery.
                                This team won the Atlantic division with 48 wins, a franchise record.
                                This team hung around in a series against a team that has Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett.
                                Brooklyn has 2+ players better than anyone on our entire roster.
                                Brooklyn can produce 2-3 players that singled-handedly have more playoff experience than our entire roster combined.
                                We nearly beat a team with a payroll of $102M.

Goodness gracious you people, I'm not sure what else there is to say. You can't fire a coach that is causing your team to play better than they are supposed to. Unless your name is Bryan Colangelo.
                                I think Casey did a good job. The only clear problem I had with Casey was not playing Landry. Although, supposedly he did re-injure his back, so how large a role that played, I don't know.

There wasn't much to be done about Joe Johnson. Our team's only real 3s are John Salmons and Landry Fields - pick your poison, they both suck. Ross is a SG, so is Demar.

The raptors are half-decent, but have some serious match up problems (Hayes, Ross). We badly need a backup 5 taller than 6'6" and a SF heavier than 185 lbs.

Wait and see, but if the core of this team stays in tact, I'd put a lot of money on Casey coming back, and I'm perfectly OK with that.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X