Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    If the plan is to hire Casey to a short term contract what's the point. Either hire someone long term or give some else a two year deal.
    You should just save you're letters, Some poster's on here just say the same shit every time we criticize Casey.
    Didn't Casey lead us to 48wins?
    Isn't all of our players having career years?
    ETC
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
      Let me coach this team

My philosophy would be to feed JV in the post if you don't comply were gonna take you out back !

Also JV hit the gym! Because you're gonna by playing 45MPG!

Any long 2's from DD and he will be shot on site!

If Ross does not dunk on the opposing teams biggest player were not gonna let him on the plane to comeback home!

If John Salmonella ask's me why he's not playing......... Were gonna put him in a box and send him to Siberia!

Also Amir No god damn Summer 3's or you'll go back to Detroit and can play with Smith&Jennings

Lowry? Just keep Lowry'ing

Psycho T? You're job is to get ejected withing 2 mins upon entering the game!
      How old are you man? lol

Comment

nopropsneeded wrote: View Post
        how old are you man? Lol
        9................................................. ............

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

If Casey doesn't sign a 3 year or longer contract with the Raptors this off-season, I ask the mods to kindly ban me from this site for good. Let's consider some things, this team doesn't get its best regular season record ever and is on pretty good playoff run so far, with very little playoff experience and then not try and re-sign there head coach.

But, don't worry this season was never about wins and losses anyways, so let's ignore all that winning. According, to Masai there are 3 things he was looking for from the coaching staff this season. What kind of team culture can the coaching staff develop and this is the hardest working, closest group of players who hold each other accountable and support one another I have ever seen play in Toronto. So, that is a check mark. The other two things was looking at the development of Jonas and Terrence. Jonas went from not playing in 4th quarters for like the first half of the season, to closing out the ends of tight playoff games. Jonas is an easy player to love, but his youthful mistakes would make many winning teams reluctant to play him as much as he's played in these playoffs. Credit goes to the coaching staff, the other players supporting him and especially credit to Jonas himself for working his butt off and improving throughout this season.

Terrence Ross, development is also important. Ross didn't get the starting job, because he earned it, but because it is key for his development as a potentially major piece to this franchise. Normally, you'd expect Salmons to take his starting spot, but the coaching staff was committed to having Ross work through his mistakes as much as was necessary for the team to win games.

Casey easily passes Masai's criteria test. 2016 is the year that we are supposed to contend, culture and player development weren't problems this year, so it's already a success before the season is even over. Casey has already won a championship as an assistant coach and no other coach, has instilled a winning culture here as successfully.

Maybe, more credit should be given to the assistant coaches, but unlike the Hollins situation in Memphis, MLSE isn't cheap and would pay Casey what he wants, so it would never come to that. Casey has the loyalty of the players so a Collins or Smitch situation is never likely to develop either. Short of Seattle getting another franchise and Casey wanting to take the opportunity to go home and coach there or Toronto goes into another rebuilding situation and Casey forces his way out like Doc, you guys better get used to coach Casey for at least another 10 years.

He is our second best head coach after Lenny Wilkins and you'd be deluding yourself to think otherwise. It's not a matter of me being a Casey cheerleader, just a matter of making a rational instead of an emotional evaluation of what he has accomplished in 3 years. This team was the best 4th quarter team in the league this year and you guys used to piss and moan about his 4th quarter substitutions in previous years and even throughout this season. Clearly, this team has played well beyond its talent level and Casey obviously did a great job preparing this team for the playoffs.

This team could win the championship and some of you guys would continue to irrationalize a reason for him to go. Haters gonna hate.

Edit: Welcome, Carbonic and nice first post on the site.
          Last edited by Raptorsss; Fri May 2, 2014, 12:48 AM.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I think we should give Casey a chance. This is after all the first time in his career where he is coaching a group of legitimate players.
            A coaching change also may cause more harm than good look at Mike Brown, Woodson and D'antoni

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
              If Casey doesn't sign a 3 year or longer contract with the Raptors this off-season, I ask the mods to kindly ban me from this site for good. Let's consider some things, this team doesn't get its best regular season record ever and is on pretty good playoff run so far, with very little playoff experience and then not try and re-sign there head coach.

But, don't worry this season was never about wins and losses anyways, so let's ignore all that winning. According, to Masai there are 3 things he was looking for from the coaching staff this season. What kind of team culture can the coaching staff develop and this is the hardest working, closest group of players who hold each other accountable and support one another I have ever seen play in Toronto. So, that is a check mark. The other two things was looking at the development of Jonas and Terrence. Jonas went from not playing in 4th quarters for like the first half of the season, to closing out the ends of tight playoff games. Jonas is an easy player to love, but his youthful mistakes would make many winning teams reluctant to play him as much as he's played in these playoffs. Credit goes to the coaching staff, the other players supporting him and especially credit to Jonas himself for working his butt off and improving throughout this season.

Terrence Ross, development is also important. Ross didn't get the starting job, because he earned it, but because it is key for his development as a potentially major piece to this franchise. Normally, you'd expect Salmons to take his starting spot, but the coaching staff was committed to having Ross work through his mistakes as much as was necessary for the team to win games.

Casey easily passes Masai's criteria test. 2016 is the year that we are supposed to contend, culture and player development weren't problems this year, so it's already a success before the season is even over. Casey has already won a championship as an assistant coach and no other coach, has instilled a winning culture here as successfully.

Maybe, more credit should be given to the assistant coaches, but unlike the Hollins situation in Memphis, MLSE isn't cheap and would pay Casey what he wants, so it would never come to that. Casey has the loyalty of the players so a Collins or Smitch situation is never likely to develop either. Short of Seattle getting another franchise and Casey wanting to take the opportunity to go home and coach there or Toronto goes into another rebuilding situation and Casey forces his way out like Doc, you guys better get used to coach Casey for at least another 10 years.

He is our second best head coach after Lenny Wilkins and you'd be deluding yourself to think otherwise. It's not a matter of me being a Casey cheerleader, just a matter of making a rational instead of an emotional evaluation of what he has accomplished in 3 years. This team was the best 4th quarter team in the league this year and you guys used to piss and moan about his 4th quarter substitutions in previous years and even throughout this season. Clearly, this team has played well beyond its talent level and Casey obviously did a great job preparing this team for the playoffs.

This team could win the championship and some of you guys would continue to irrationalize a reason for him to go. Haters gonna hate.

Edit: Welcome, Carbonic and nice first post on the site.
              Maybe? Maybe? Are you serious? Did you not watch Casey's first two seasons? He was absolutely terrible on offense until Nurse got here and took over the offense. JV's development was stagnant until Bayno got here and started working with him. You really think Casey made that big of a leap this year? Far more likely it's due to to the new coaching staff Masai forced on Casey this year. Masai will finish the job in the offseason and bring in his head coach.

Comment

If Vogel, Mark Jackson, Brooke's are fired and Jeff Van Gundy,Stan Van Gundy , George Karl available who should try to bring in as Head Coach

Honestly, I think this is a classic case of impatient fans thinking the grass is always greener somewhere else. I guarantee there are fans of the Pacers, Thunder and Warriors that are hoping that they fire their coach and make a play for Casey this summer.

I think Bird will stick with Vogel. Vogel isn't the guy that disrupted team chemistry by trading away a beloved Pacer lifer and locker room voice-of-reason for Turner and festering cancer (Bynum). But if Vogel was available, he's proven to be no better at handling chemistry issues (like the Rudy Gay debacle) than Casey. Not to mention the Pacer's offense is in complete disarray.

Mark Jackson has a Butch Carter me-first vibe to him.

Scott Brook should be giving Westbrook and Durant a cut of his salary for making him look like a much better coach than he actually is.

I think of Jeff Van Gundy as a half-court tactician. I love him as a coach and analyst. I just don't know if I like the idea of watching the Raptors turn into a grind-it-out half-court team, but I'm probably not giving Van Gundy enough credit. Anyway, I consider this a pretty lateral move given our personnel, but who knows.

Casey, for the most part, is doing a great job. He brought a culture of hard work, defense and discipline to a franchise with no identity whatsoever. He somehow made a team that featured matadors like Calderon and Bargnani and ball-hogs like Gay into a respectable defensive team while they were here.

And believe or not, I think he has done a great job bringing Ross and Valancuinas along slowly, forcing them earn minutes, minimize their mistakes and learn how to play the game the right way. I'm sure Ross or Val could average 20 pts a night on a team like the 76ers or Cavs, but that's why those teams are the 76ers or Cavs.

Casey always had a system in place and finally, he has the personnel to see it implemented well. Since the Rudy Gay trade, the culture and system he has been fostering over the past few years has exceeded expectations.

If you think Casey doesn't deserve some credit for the team's recent success — that if, magically, this team would be a title contender with George Karl at the helm — you would be nuts.

The only coaches I think are worth overpaying for off the top of my head is Stotts, Carlisle, Popovich and Phil Jackson. And those guys are unavailable.

Casey is not a bad option if the price is right. Unless there is some kind of scheme to bring in some next-level talent, or a 'superstar' that would require a complete overhaul of team around him (like Curry), I don't see much gains in replacing him.
                Last edited by bryan colangelo; Fri May 2, 2014, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Maybe? Maybe? Are you serious? Did you not watch Casey's first two seasons? He was absolutely terrible on offense until Nurse got here and took over the offense. JV's development was stagnant until Bayno got here and started working with him. You really think Casey made that big of a leap this year? Far more likely it's due to to the new coaching staff Masai forced on Casey this year. Masai will finish the job in the offseason and bring in his head coach.
                  Triano is credited as playing a significant role in developing Bosh's shooting form, but as a head coach his offense was pretty like D'Antoni's, but the teams defense let them down. Casey was a defensive assistant coach, who was able to establish his defensive system, successfully to a team with essentially the same players, as the one made-up what was the worst defensive team the year previous. Don't overrate offensive assistant coaches as better head coaching candidates than defensive ones. In year 2 Casey, admitted that Colangelo and his appointed assistant coaches were meddling with what Casey wanted to do, so the offense improved but defense regressed, guess what direction the wins went? So, Casey finally gets pound the rock type players that outside of Alan Anderson he never really had in his first 2 seasons. The teams defense goes back to where it was in his first season, the core players on the team continue to improve, the offense doesn't go into the tank and the team wins?

But, you are right, let's replace one of the best defensive coaches in the game with a coach who preaches a crafty offense instead. Because, offense wins championships right? I rather my head coach focuses on game planning and overall strategy and leaving the shooting lessons to the assistants.
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Who are these new players. Rick Carlisle stopped LeBron. Casey is overrated. Same apologists over and over. There's also a Salmons appreciation thread..

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                      Honestly, I think this is a classic case of impatient fans thinking the grass is always greener somewhere else. I guarantee there are fans of the Pacers, Thunder and Warriors that are hoping that they fire their coach and make a play for Casey this summer.

I think Bird will stick with Vogel. Vogel isn't the guy that disrupted team chemistry by trading away a beloved Pacer lifer and locker room voice-of-reason for Turner and festering cancer (Bynum). But if Vogel was available, he's proven to be no better at handling chemistry issues (like the Rudy Gay debacle) than Casey. Not to mention the Pacer's offense is in complete disarray.

Mark Jackson has a Butch Carter me-first vibe to him.

Scott Brook should be giving Westbrook and Durant a cut of his salary for making him look like a much better coach than he actually is.

I think of Jeff Van Gundy as a half-court tactician. I love him as a coach and analyst. I just don't know if I like the idea of watching the Raptors turn into a grind-it-out half-court team, but I'm probably not giving Van Gundy enough credit. Anyway, I consider this a pretty lateral move given our personnel, but who knows.

Casey, for the most part, is doing a great job. He brought a culture of hard work, defense and discipline to a franchise with no identity whatsoever. He somehow made a team that featured matadors like Calderon and Bargnani and ball-hogs like Gay into a respectable defensive team while they were here.

And believe or not, I think he has done a great job bringing Ross and Valancuinas along slowly, forcing them earn minutes, minimize their mistakes and learn how to play the game the right way. I'm sure Ross or Val could average 20 pts a night on a team like the 76ers or Cavs, but that's why those teams are the 76ers or Cavs.

Casey always had a system in place and finally, he has the personnel to see it implemented well. Since the Rudy Gay trade, the culture and system he has been fostering over the past few years has exceeded expectations.

If you think Casey doesn't deserve some credit for the team's recent success — that if, magically, this team would be a title contender with George Karl at the helm — you would be nuts.

The only coaches I think are worth overpaying for off the top of my head is Stotts, Carlisle, Popovich and Phil Jackson. And those guys are unavailable.

Casey is not a bad option if the price is right. Unless there is some kind of scheme to bring in some next-level talent, or a 'superstar' that would require a complete overhaul of team around him (like Curry), I don't see much gains in replacing him.
                      Not really a response to your whole post, but why Stotts? This is his first successful year as a head coach. He's struggled mightily in every other season. To put his name next to those other guys seems really strange.

Comment

Abc anyone but casey

Comment

Who are these new players. Rick Carlisle stopped LeBron. Casey is overrated. Same apologists over and over. There's also a Salmons appreciation thread..
                          You want to replace a coach that went 42-22 — 20 games over .500! — since the Rudy Gay trade. Really? What's you're argument, smart guy? Do you think if we had Frank Vogel, this same team would have gone 52 and 12?

Let's use Frank Vogel for a comparison.

The Pacers traded their sixth man at the All-Star Game for young but promising player, and their entire team fell apart. That's how WEAK the culture in the Indiana Pacer's locker room was, and Vogel is partially (if not completely) responsible for that.

The Raptors traded their 'star player' while they had a losing 6-12 record. Their starting point guard was swirling in trade rumors, the management was prepared to tank and Dwayne Casey was a lame-duck coach.

On most teams, the remaining 'stars' would go into me-first mode and start padding their stats. But Casey and the team treated it like another day at the office, and worked even harder. That's how STRONG the culture in the Raptors locker room was.

That's the product of good coaching. You sit over there and daydream about how great Vogel or Mark Jackson is, when it's obvious to me that the Raptors would have tanked if either of them were our coach this season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Not really a response to your whole post, but why Stotts? This is his first successful year as a head coach. He's struggled mightily in every other season. To put his name next to those other guys seems really strange.
                            Oh, I just think he's just gotten a lot out of his line-up. I consider Lillard overrated (like Demar). Outside of Lillard and Aldridge does anyone on that roster really stand out? 54 wins in the Western Conference with that roster seems abnormally good.

Comment

If Casey went with talent over age and didn't play favourites, I'd probably have no issue moving forward.

Unfortunately he doesn't do those things.

I'm not sure how he fits with a GM who wants to build through the draft when you have a young player like jv playing backup to chuck fucking Hayes when the game is on the line.

Comment

I can't help but think that part of the reason that Casey gets so much dislike is that the two parts of the job he's worst at, subbing in players and final possession play calling is also the most visible part of what coach does. These things are also some of the least important, in my opinion.

What's more important, playing the right backup small forward, or getting a team who has no great defensive players (Lowry is a good defensive player, and flashy, but no Patrick Beverly or anything like that), and getting them committed to defense in such a way that they play top 10.

Every starter on the Raptors is having a career year pretty well simultaneously. You don't give any of that credit to the head coach? If not, why not?

And the "he doesn't give enough time to Jonas and Terrence" argument just doesn't hold water. They both start, if they play well they get at least 25 minutes a game. What other playoff team has two rookies or sophomores doing that simultaneously?

There's a lot of pounding on Casey like the world is going to end every time something goes wrong and then not giving him any credit when something goes right. Take the Oklahoma City game for example. Casey in the two overtimes had a "swarm Kevin Durant strategy" in the two overtimes which was working like a charm. But because he brought Salmons in when Vazquez fouled out he deserved an F for the game? You need to have some perspective.

I'm not saying Casey's a top 5 coach in the league. But if the Raptors get beat in the second round (barring a collapse the next two games), its because they don't have the talent to get them farther at this point. Not because they don't have the coach.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X