Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 off-season Compendium

Post Thanks / Like

I say avoid Al Horford (and his faulty boob) like the Plague.
    In Masai we Trust.

2. Like YoungGunRaptor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Prince is washed up. He wasn't that bad this year, but he could be John Salmons useless by next season. And I don't know, you'd have to specifically have a target that falls on draft day to make that worthwhile. I really don't care to have Prince on this team.
    Then don't get Prince and try to get 1st rounder for Salmons, if we can get any first for him it's a win.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Well, for one, cap holds don't specifically have anything to do with free agents - they are placed on the "team salary." Team salary totals are what determines cap space for free agency and trades alike.

If what you said were true, you'd see loads of teams doing sign and trades every year to circumvent the cap and utilize their players' Bird Rights to full effect.
    thats the BROOKLYN way... .. capholds of teams own FA has nothing to do with trades and salary absorption

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    no idea why you think we should be planning like we're gonna play the same nets lineup in 2015 playoffs or something. how do you know the other team will have some crafty, beefy SF in their lineup? what if its some wirey, super athletic guy like kawhi leonard?

and why would someone we draft automatically struggle hard in the playoffs just because one single player on this team did? no logic or sense at all.
    Well a lot of rookies/young inexperienced players struggle in the playoffs. I'm not just basing it off Terrence. Experience is big in the playoffs. Also Brooklyn isn't the only team that has beefer small forwards or shooting guards and it would just be nice to get a guy that can guard those guys a little more decent than DD or Ross can. It's probably not realistic for this offseason but I do believe we need to go after one.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't look like Vince is going to come here anyway so I think we should all calm down. I agree that we should look to get a younger player who does the same things. I think people are forgetting Vince is 38. He can turn into John Salmons at anytime. Father time waits on no one and he comes at unexpected times.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    It doesn't look like Vince is going to come here anyway so I think we should all calm down. I agree that we should look to get a younger player who does the same things. I think people are forgetting Vince is 38. He can turn into John Salmons at anytime. Father time waits on no one and he comes at unexpected times.
    Vince had an amazing playoffs, Salmons had one of the worst playoffs in history. Vince is an all time great, salmons is a never was. I don't think it's an apt comparison to make.

8. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Vince had an amazing playoffs, Salmons had one of the worst playoffs in history. Vince is an all time great, salmons is a never was. I don't think it's an apt comparison to make.
    Well I was somewhat exaggerating but at 38 he can become shit at anytime. 38 is A LOT older than I thought he was. This could easily be his last good season. I would not be shocked at all if he came here next season and played no where as good as he played for Dallas. Age creeps up on you very unexpectedly. One day you just wake up and can't do what you used to. But hey if we do get Vince hopefully he has one more good season in him. But from the way he's talking it doesn't look like he'll be coming here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    thats the BROOKLYN way... .. capholds of teams own FA has nothing to do with trades and salary absorption
    Brooklyn didn't use cap space. They had to match salaries in that trade, hence the inclusion of Keith Bogans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Except consummating a trade in the NBA is extremely difficult at the best of times.

It is also why you see so many deals agreed to on draft night but not completed until July 10/11th.
    Sure, it's difficult.

That was secondary anyway - commentary on the situation. Disregard it if you wish, but cap holds are very much included in team salary for trade purposes.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    No surprise. Still hope it doesn't happen, for both basketball and non-basketball reasons.
    Hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a good defensive wing, or least a solid wing. does not matter whether it is Vince or not.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I completely understand the logic from a marketing perspective, but I don't agree from a basketball perspective. This team isn't in 'win now' mode, so I fail to see what a player in the twilight of his career who has never been known as a 'character' player, will really add. MU has always been about talent acquisition and stacking young prospects with upside at every position - signing VC would seem to run counter to his MO, in a blatant attempt to cash-in on nostalgia and marketing, ahead of the team's 20th anniversary and all-star hosting.
    Think Toronto is dusting off the golf clubs today if Vince was playing for them last night?

You guys need to reset your brains a bit. carter is good, and he's a solid vet. Period.

15. Like Nilanka, TRex liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    Then don't get Prince and try to get 1st rounder for Salmons, if we can get any first for him it's a win.

Exacty, the main goal is the first rounder, the trial run of an old veteran at the same position that we need is just an extra. We get the first rounder for taking on the extra year of contract that is Prince.

Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Joey. I love Al Horford's game, but I am reluctant to bring him in based on his injury-prone ways.

However,the lineup that CalgaryRapsFan mentioned is extremely solid.

I must say though, that we still need to sign a backup centre (Im still leaning towards Jordan Hill)
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I dug around on CBAFAQ and found the reference you are probably remembering. Free agent cap holds are excluded from team salary only when considering exceptions and S+T's in relation to the apron and whether a hard cap is instituted. Check Q14. I believe that is where your confusion is coming from.

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Prince is washed up. He wasn't that bad this year, but he could be John Salmons useless by next season. And I don't know, you'd have to specifically have a target that falls on draft day to make that worthwhile. I really don't care to have Prince on this team.
    Yeah, checked their RPM #'s - Prince and Salmons were almost identical both offensively and defensively.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Well I was somewhat exaggerating but at 38 he can become shit at anytime. 38 is A LOT older than I thought he was. This could easily be his last good season. I would not be shocked at all if he came here next season and played no where as good as he played for Dallas. Age creeps up on you very unexpectedly. One day you just wake up and can't do what you used to. But hey if we do get Vince hopefully he has one more good season in him. But from the way he's talking it doesn't look like he'll be coming here.
    Let's stick to facts instead of unlikely hypotheticals. Vince was an above average NBA player by every advanced metric this past season. It's far more likely Vince is a good player next year than for his numbers to fall of a cliff as you'd like to predict (no surprise, it's the most negative outlook).

Also, the way he is talking is the way any respected veteran should be talking the day after your team was eliminated from the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Yeah, checked their RPM #'s - Prince and Salmons were almost identical both offensively and defensively.
    Yeah, the only reason I thought Prince might be slightly better is because of his length and thus ability to play some matchups. Salmons is slow and average sized...and utterly useless. Like, I actually felt bad for him because he clearly was not able to fill the role he was being asked to.

Post Thanks / Like

It makes basketball sense. Throw a decade ago out the window.
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Then we do the trade, and MU tells Casey he will shoot him if Prince sees the floor.

Thread Information