2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Big mistake ... He will be cancer in the locker room with his shitty work ethics and love for playing in US. We need hard nosed Veterans who have passion to teach, play defence and are known for their work ethics. No more Mama's boy please.
    You say this same tired crap over and over and it's clearly not true. Vince has said how much he loved playing here and basically Babcocks incompetence is why he left. He's also said he'd love to come back and he'd do it in a heartbeat.

His work ethic has been nothing but fantastic in Dallas, so no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Mama's boy? Just stop man, just stop...

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      Who gives a fuck about long term when you're addressing the backup SF position? He'll get 20 minutes a game or less. Our draft pick this year will be addressing the future. Vince is sliding into that Salmons role, and he can do it much better for the next 2-3 years than the fish could.

Vince brings veteran leadership, solid play for the position (still above average PER, TS%, 3pt%), and EYEBALLS to the Raptors games. That's the main reason to bring Vince back. EYEBALLS! He'll probably be the most popular player on the team, and that's not an exaggeration.

We love to bitch and moan here about how US fans (and TV stations) don't give a shit about the Raptors. Adding Vince will instantly make them care a bunch more. Adding Dorrell Wright or someone else of that ilk won't do shit for interest in the team.
      I completely understand the logic from a marketing perspective, but I don't agree from a basketball perspective. This team isn't in 'win now' mode, so I fail to see what a player in the twilight of his career who has never been known as a 'character' player, will really add. MU has always been about talent acquisition and stacking young prospects with upside at every position - signing VC would seem to run counter to his MO, in a blatant attempt to cash-in on nostalgia and marketing, ahead of the team's 20th anniversary and all-star hosting.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I completely understand the logic from a marketing perspective, but I don't agree from a basketball perspective. This team isn't in 'win now' mode, so I fail to see what a player in the twilight of his career who has never been known as a 'character' player, will really add. MU has always been about talent acquisition and stacking young prospects with upside at every position - signing VC would seem to run counter to his MO, in a blatant attempt to cash-in on nostalgia and marketing, ahead of the team's 20th anniversary and all-star hosting.
        You're being pretty close minded about this. Not "every single signing" by Masai needs to be a young prospect. Just the majority. He can afford to sign some savvy veterans, and he should. Every team needs them.

Also, why are you questioning his character? Has he not been beloved in Dallas for 3 straight years? Doesn't sound like a low character guy to me. He sounds like a guy who can teach guys like DD and Lowry how to have 20 year long careers.

I know we're not in win-now mode, but we could easily take the Atlantic again next season with minor tweaks. One minor tweak would be Vince in place of the fish. Just look at the division, it's just us and Brooklyn again.

Comment

It makes sense to sign him from marketing perspective. Toronto does not have a true superstar, who has played as an Raptor and has his jersey retired. Retiring his jersey and restoring his reputation would make sense, especially when it comes to clubs repuatation and identity building. Show the league how professional this club is, how people who talked trash about this club, shows respect to it now, and other free agents will notice. Fix the broken link between fans and Vince, fix mistakes done by previous club management.
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

You say this same tired crap over and over and it's clearly not true. Vince has said how much he loved playing here and basically Babcocks incompetence is why he left. He's also said he'd love to come back and he'd do it in a heartbeat.

His work ethic has been nothing but fantastic in Dallas, so no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Mama's boy? Just stop man, just stop...
            You say this same tired crap over and over and it is clearly not true

Vince had no love for the city, admitted quoting on the team, admitted taking nights off and even going to his useless graduation on the morning of the biggest game of this franchise.

These are facts and what you are saying is basically untrue BS.

Show me a reference to his work ethics in Dallas ?? What fuck are you talking about ?? Even if he is showing good work ethic there, it is because that team has tons of Vets who will wipe his Mama's boy ass into shape.

Just stop, stop ....

P.S. Do you see how easy it is to type a response full of personal attacks and insults .... You want a reply from me from now on, right like a mature adult and not an angry teenager.

Comment

You're being pretty close minded about this. Not "every single signing" by Masai needs to be a young prospect. Just the majority. He can afford to sign some savvy veterans, and he should. Every team needs them.

Also, why are you questioning his character? Has he not been beloved in Dallas for 3 straight years? Doesn't sound like a low character guy to me. He sounds like a guy who can teach guys like DD and Lowry how to have 20 year long careers.

I know we're not in win-now mode, but we could easily take the Atlantic again next season with minor tweaks. One minor tweak would be Vince in place of the fish. Just look at the division, it's just us and Brooklyn again.
              I get where you're coming from, but my preference is to take a longer-term approach when making team-building decisions. VC is not going to be part of the future of this team, so that alone is reason enough for me to take a pass. He may be a veteran, but he's never had the reputation of being a mentor (what I should have said instead of "never known as a 'character' player").

I just think there are equal/better players that can likely be acquired for about the same amount, who will be able to contribute as much next season, with much more potential for contributing beyond next season (let alone actually improving beyond next season, since VC will only decline).

Comment

I get where you're coming from, but my preference is to take a longer-term approach when making team-building decisions. VC is not going to be part of the future of this team, so that alone is reason enough for me to take a pass. He may be a veteran, but he's never had the reputation of being a mentor (what I should have said instead of "never known as a 'character' player").

I just think there are equal/better players that can likely be acquired for about the same amount, who will be able to contribute as much next season, with much more potential for contributing beyond next season (let alone actually improving beyond next season, since VC will only decline).
                We're talking a 2 year deal here though. If it's between Vince and Dorrell Wright I'm taking Vince every single time. I expect we take a SF in the 1st round of the draft, and that will be the future, and a much cheaper higher upside option than signing a free agent SF.

Comment

Carter's basically been a model citizen ever since leaving Toronto. 10 years is plenty of time to change someone.

He's been a big asset to Dallas this year. They'd probably spit out their Gatorade reading some of these Carter comments.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                    You say this same tired crap over and over and it is clearly not true

Vince had no love for the city, admitted quoting on the team, admitted taking nights off and even going to his useless graduation on the morning of the biggest game of this franchise.

These are facts and what you are saying is basically untrue BS.

Show me a reference to his work ethics in Dallas ?? What fuck are you talking about ?? Even if he is showing good work ethic there, it is because that team has tons of Vets who will wipe his Mama's boy ass into shape.

Just stop, stop ....

P.S. Do you see how easy it is to type a response full of personal attacks and insults .... You want a reply from me from now on, right like a mature adult and not an angry teenager.
                    Sorry, but your post was full of blatant bullshit lies. Do you remember Rob Babcock? That's why Vince quit on the team. We had the worst GM in NBA history running the show. He did such a horrendous job he was fired shortly thereafter. It's much easier to see things from Vince's side in hindsight. He was on a team going nowhere with the worst GM ever at the helm.

That was also 15 years ago. Vince has been nothing but a great teammate in Dallas, and is beloved by the players and ownership there. If we don't get Vince it's because Dallas outbid us. Not somethingt they would do for a no talent, no character momma's boy, but far be it from you to look at the evidence.

Comment

I'd take Carter back but only if the price was right. I would rather not break the bank for him. He's no longer a superstar and it would make for warm fuzzies in this city, and an interesting story, I would hardly call this a splash. Vince has never been the one to play D, so why bring him in at age 37? I think there are better fits out there out on the free agent market this off season.

Edit: What CalgaryRapsFan said.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by MangoKid; Mon May 5, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Don't you guys think our biggest need this offseason is getting a starting calibre small forward? I love Ross (even after the horrendous first round) but I just don't see him and Derozan working well together defensively against the bigger small forwards or shooting guards. That's the biggest reason why we lost round 1, we couldn't stop Joe Johnson for our life. Who do you think we can realistically get? Or do you think we stick with Terrence and Demar going forward?
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

I don't think Ujiri is gunning to make major moves this offseason. It'll be next offseason when Hayes, Fields, Camby and Amir's contracts come off the books is when we'll make some noise.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                            Don't you guys think our biggest need this offseason is getting a starting calibre small forward? I love Ross (even after the horrendous first round) but I just don't see him and Derozan working well together defensively against the bigger small forwards or shooting guards. That's the biggest reason why we lost round 1, we couldn't stop Joe Johnson for our life. Who do you think we can realistically get? Or do you think we stick with Terrence and Demar going forward?
                            SF will be addressed in the draft. It's absolutely loaded with SF's. Everyone always forgets about the draft. We should get a starting caliber talent at pick 20. Lets not waste precious cap space on some mediocre SF like Aminu. Give Vince a cheap 2 year deal to back up the position, and let Ross or the 2014 pick start.

Also, just look at the Atlantic. If we brought back the same exact team I'd have us as favorites to win the division. A few minor tweaks and a new coach and we should easily take the division. The real FA signings will happen in 2015 when we actually have cap space and the FA class is much better.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              well I agree with Matt, I think we need to find a creative way to get a big two way SF.
                              KJ McDaniels at pick 20. Done and done. Don't need to get creative, just scout well. The draft is loaded with SF's who would go lotto most years.

Comment

SF will be addressed in the draft. It's absolutely loaded with SF's. Everyone always forgets about the draft. We should get a starting caliber talent at pick 20. Lets not waste precious cap space on some mediocre SF like Aminu. Give Vince a cheap 2 year deal to back up the position, and let Ross or the 2014 pick start.

Also, just look at the Atlantic. If we brought back the same exact team I'd have us as favorites to win the division. A few minor tweaks and a new coach and we should easily take the division. The real FA signings will happen in 2015 when we actually have cap space and the FA class is much better.
                                True. But I'm thinking more about the playoffs, and Terrence or DD can't guard biggers small forwards. It cost us the first round this season so there is no reason why it won't cost us in the playoffs next season. I do know we can get a good small forward in the draft but that player is going to take time to develop and will probably struggle hard in the playoffs like Terrence did. Everything we do at this point we should be thinking playoffs and how it will help us in the playoffs. But you are very correct that 2015 has the better prospects and we will have more cap space. I guess we can handle another first round exit if it means better things in the future.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X