Steve Kerr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocwell wrote: View Post
    Well.. It's never been a problem with Phil Jackson.
    Phil is a Zen Buddhist.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      $25M, 5 year contract. I don't understand GSW execs.. really weird management team. Fired Mark Jackson to hire rookie coach ( + gave him 5 years!!! ).
      They're paying a rookie coach with name recognition more than Dwane Casey. At least Dwane won his ring as an assistant coach.

Thank God we have Masai and a competent executive team now. I know coach's salaries don't count against the cap, but how you make decisions at the top sets the expectations and culture of an entire organization. Like the Knicks, the Warriors are rewarding people based on their name and reputation, not on their actual job performance. Let's see how that translates on the court.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
        Jackson was difficult to deal with, a high maintenance guy. The Bible thumping was a turn off. Kerr is not green at all. Played at a high level, excellent GM, intelligent and most importantly he has the people skills to deal with players.
        A turn off to who? The players loved him. He did his job, he won games. If a coach turned the Colangelo Raptors around as quickly as he did people up here wouldn't have cared if the person was a voodoo priest. This stinks.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          A turn off to who? The players loved him. He did his job, he won games. If a coach turned the Colangelo Raptors around as quickly as he did people up here wouldn't have cared if the person was a voodoo priest. This stinks.
          It was a turn off to almost everyone including the new owner. Jackson got what he deserved. From Zach Lowe:

I first interviewed Mark Jackson about 20 games into last season for a piece about Golden State’s massive improvement on defense. Jackson went out of his way to point out, unsolicited and on the record, that it would be wrong to publicly credit any single assistant coach for the team’s transformation.

It was a weird thing to say unprompted, my first window into Jackson’s personality — a strange brew of braggadocio, inspiration, and insecurity. That personality ultimately cost Jackson his job in Golden State despite a near-unprecedented run of on-court success for one of the league’s sad-sack franchises. There were some on-court issues, but Jackson and his staff did a nice job with this roster. They are gone mostly because the environment in Golden State became toxic.

As I wrote last week, Jackson demoted Brian Scalabrine, an assistant coach, to the D-League after initially firing him without cause in front of players. The team fired another assistant, Darren Erman, after learning he had been secretly recording conversations Jackson had with other coaches. Erman was concerned Jackson was bad-mouthing him behind his back, multiple sources have said, and poisoning his relationship with players. The team changed the location of Erman’s parking spot without warning, sources say. Jackson also made it known he preferred that Jerry West, a senior adviser to the Warriors, stay away from practices.

The Warriors have looked into allegations that another assistant coach beyond Erman had also been recording internal conversations, per multiple sources. The environment had just grown dysfunctional; Jackson’s “don’t mention a particular assistant” quip, a reference to Mike Malone, now the Kings’ coach, turned out to be a harbinger.

The responsibility isn’t all on Jackson. Joe Lacob, the team’s owner, is a loud and strong personality, and two such personalities mixed together can create bad results. No one should be taping conversations in California without consent. West is an intimidating presence, and Jackson isn’t the first head coach to request West keep his distance; Phil Jackson famously did the same in Los Angeles, asserting himself early as the franchise’s alpha male.

But the front office clearly became fed up with Jackson’s combativeness, and Jackson justifiably did not want to return as a potential lame duck in the last year of his contract next season. Firing Jackson is a risk, but front offices and ownership ultimately hold the power, and they have the right to take that kind of risk.
          The full article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ma...tate-warriors/
          Last edited by stretch; Fri May 16, 2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Can we call him Steve Curry now

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Can we call him Steve Curry now
              Steve Kerr-y?
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Mark Jackson and Steve Kerr are flipping jobs. Jackson is back as an ESPN analyst.

Comment

I don't know why GS had to overpay another rookie coach. I was hoping they'd hire D'Antoni, as their roster perfectly fits his system. They would be like how the Nash-led Suns were in the mid to late 2000s, or maybe even better as Curry is just money.

The thing about D'Antoni is that he's damn stubborn who won't adapt to what his roster has. Knicks and LA don't fit his system.

Anyways, good luck with them. The best they could do next season is match what they did this year. Otherwise, I think they're gonna regress, esp since the West is really really competitive. Plus it's the same Steve Kerr who destroyed the Suns when he was GM, so I'm not really impressed. I'm gonna miss him commentating on NBA 2K tho, esp him hating on my player on My Career when I answer boastfully in the press conference LOL.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    It was a turn off to almost everyone including the new owner. Jackson got what he deserved. From Zach Lowe:

The full article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ma...tate-warriors/
                    So I'm supposed to believe a team that hired a coach whose only qualifications are that he plays golf with the owner's son and Phil Jackson wanted to make him his lackey, over a coach who had his locker room and had a better record than any coach they've had in a decade?

All the PR spin and one-sided leaks in the world won't change my mind. The owner planted assistant coaches to illegally record conversations -- that was confirmed. They gave him a contract that you would expect for a HC like Thibs. It is ridiculous.

Comment

The owner of the Warriors, Joe Lacob, has given some insight into the firing of Mark Jackson:

Of Jackson's firing, Lacob said, "Part of it was, he couldn't get along with anybody else in the organization. And, look, he did a great job -- and I'll always compliment him in many respects -- but you can't have 200 other people in the organization not like you."

Lacob described Jackson's style as something the Warriors initially needed to change for the culture of the organization, even though Jackson was an inexperienced coach who the owner said "didn't know X's and O's, really."

Lacob said the key was to hire an experienced staff around Jackson, an idea that was met with resistance from him.
                      Sources:
                      http://www.insidebayarea.com/warrior...s-firing-mark#
                      http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...h-mark-jackson

Comment

Anyone still arguing that Kerr was a bad hire?
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                          Anyone still arguing that Kerr was a bad hire?
                          yes. 19-2? thats fucking pathetic.

Comment

This is just another example of us not knowing shit even though we vehemently believe we do. How much of what goes into successful NBA coaching do we really know? 10%? 5% 2%?

On the other hand if we were all true realists, and actually understood how completely uninformed our opinions actually were, boards such as this would be pretty fucking boring places. I joked about Dunning-Kruger a while back, but it really explains a lot of the comments we make here.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              This is just another example of us not knowing shit even though we vehemently believe we do. How much of what goes into successful NBA coaching do we really know? 10%? 5% 2%?

On the other hand if we were all true realists, and actually understood how completely uninformed our opinions actually were, boards such as this would be pretty fucking boring places. I joked about Dunning-Kruger a while back, but it really explains a lot of the comments we make here.
                              The uninformed opinions aren't that bad. The uninformed facts on the internet are hard to let pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X