Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 214

Thread: Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    as a follow up on what Butch Carter said, here's what he wrote (although this is more about what Casey has to do). Good read

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...in-at-the-end/

  2. Like Nilanka, stooley liked this post
  3. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    as a follow up on what Butch Carter said, here's what he wrote (although this is more about what Casey has to do). Good read

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...in-at-the-end/
    Hmm. Good article and I definitely agree with most of what was said there.

    I'd also add that it seems like play calling is one of the easier areas to improve if the coach can wrap his head around it.

  4. #23
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hear Michael Jordan is a free agent!

    Hakeem Olajuwon too

  5. #24
    Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ideal offseason would include

    Draft Rodney Hood (20), Bogdan Bogdanovic (37) & Thanasis Antetokounmpo (59)
    Resign Lowry, Vasquez
    Sign Greg Monroe making Amir a trade chip or backup & PP expendable or back-up
    Buyout Salmons & Hansborough
    Waive Stone & Buycks...Sign Kabongo as a project.
    Somehow dump Fields & Hayes brutal contracts
    Sign Vince Carter

    everything else is just a matter of moving chess pieces around.
    Last edited by RepTdot; Thu May 8th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

  6. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    478
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RepTdot wrote: View Post
    ideal offseason would include

    Draft Rodney Hood (20), Bogdan Bogdanovic (37) & Thanasis Antetokounmpo (59)
    Resign Lowry, Vasquez
    Sign Greg Monroe making Amir a trade chip or backup & PP expendable or back-up
    Buyout Salmons & Hansborough
    Waive Stone & Buycks...Sign Kabongo as a project.
    Somehow dump Fields & Hayes brutal contracts
    Sign Vince Carter

    everything else is just a matter of moving chess pieces around.
    Why Myck?

  7. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,158
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did Michael Jordan put up great numbers off the bench for a playoff team last year? What about Hakeem?


    You know who did?

  8. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
    Why Myck?
    I've got a soft spot for him...he was a top 5 projected lottery pick before he got screwed by the NCAA, he's a talented, hometown Toronto kid that deserves a second chance & I believe that the hometown raptors should be the one giving it to him. Buycks was looked at as a project...i'd rather give that shot to a former projected lottery pick from Toronto that clearly has talent and could be a real contributor & I have a feeling will be a steal in the long run
    Last edited by RepTdot; Thu May 8th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

  9. Like Raptor Jesus liked this post
  10. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Did Michael Jordan put up great numbers off the bench for a playoff team last year? What about Hakeem?


    You know who did?
    Keon Clark?

  11. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great Thread ... I think we learned a lot about our players in this season and in the play offs. We have a great core of young guys but some of them have some REAL CEILINGS ... I know everyone wants to be patient and wants to develop this core of guys and ... but lets face it, the ceiling is there and does not matter how patient we are, how slow we take things, REALITY will not change.

    Ross: He is not a starting caliber SF in this league and will never be an elite SF in this league. You can wait 5 more years and give him all the oppurtunities in the world but it will not happen. However, he will be a great guy off the bench , 6th man type of guy in a very good and championship level team.

    Amir Johnson: He is not a starting caliber PF in this league and will never be an elite PF in this league. He is a GREAT first big off the bench and he can play that role even in a championship team.

    Patterson: He is not a starting caliber PF in this league and will never be an elite PF in this league. He is a GREAT 2nd big off the bench.

    This is the ceiling for these guys, the best case scenario ... So what does this mean ??

    Big holes in SF, PF and back up C.

    My expectation are as follow:

    MU needs to address 2 of these issues this off season ... This can be true FAs or trade ... but it has to get down if we want to make it far ( East Finals) next year and be a serious PLAYER in the FAs of 2016.

    If we want a big star in 2016, we need to make it to East Finals next year and with Ross and Amir and 2Pat, as our starters, we will not.

    So address 2 of these issues these off season and leave SF or PF position for that SUPER STAR that we all hope to get in 2016.

    Next, Draft smart ... He needs to show us he is able to draft that deep in the first round a useable player. This is where this team is going to be for next few years and enough of wasting draft picks on Joey Graham, Charlie V and ... type players.

    Take a page from Spurs' book and draft SMART ...

    DO NOT OVER SPEND on Lowry and especially DO NOT over spent on Vasquez. You will need that money in 2016 ... Do not get stuck in the no man's land of mediocrity.

    Move some of these SHIT contracts even if it means for 2nd round picks: Fields, Novak and Hayes ...


    These are my expectations and anything less than that and it will be a F for MU in my book.

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Realistic Expectations:

    1. See these guys brought back....

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez
    SG: DeRozan
    SF: Ross
    PF: Amir, Patterson
    C: JV

    ..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).

    2. Live with reality likely stuck with Novak, Hayes, and Fields - with Novak having highest trade value. Hayes and Fields, no biggie as they expire in 2015, but trading Novak would be a plus.

    3. See MLSE pony up to acquire long term assets. There are no free agent prizes on Raptors horizon this summer. Use team option salaries of Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, and Stone to stock the cupboards with players on rookie deals, 2014 draft picks, or future draft picks in exchange for some nasty contracts that expire in 2014-15 (Lin, Asik, Boozer, most of the Sacramento Kings, etc.).


    Predictions:

    1. Raptors add another first round draft pick in 2014.

    2. None of 'the core' are traded. We are officially on the Indiana Pacers road to glory - minus the headcases and drama.

    3. Al-Farouq Aminu is signed via free agency.

    4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.


    Dream Acquisition:

    1. Building towards Kevin Durant in 2016.

    2. If Durant fails, enough flexibility to be able to offer a maximum contract (only to a deserving player, of course) and enough assets to trade for one (here is to awful 2016 seasons for the Nuggets and Knicks!).



    Nothing drastic above because, unless Masai has truly pulled the wool over my eyes, I don't expect anything drastic. Everyone is happy to hold hands and sing, "Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this franchise grow." That might not be a bad plan considering the last 20 years.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  13. #31
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Just heard butch carter on tim&sid. He mentioned (and he's not the first) that the raps need a "shot blocker". This seems to be a common idea. But then what is our 7ft (ish) Lithuanian for? I understand he didn't excel at it this year but isn't that part of his development? Are people imaging more of a 4 that can block shots? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    JV has physical attributes to be a shot blocker (7'4" wingspan) but he lacks timing and anticipation. Part of that comes with experience.

    Actual shots blocked doesn't concern me though. Opponent field goal percentage at the rim (0-3') is a much bigger concern. I believe Amir is one of the best in the league. JV became much better at jumping straight up as year went along. A forced missed shot is just as good as a blocked shot in my books - probably better actually because the odds favour gaining possession of the ball.

    I do understand the point of the shot blocker though - lane intimidation is certainly not a Raptor strong suit right now... not with Chuck Hayes manning the C spot in the 4th Q at least.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  14. Like JawsGT liked this post
  15. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Realistic Expectations:

    1. See these guys brought back....

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez
    SG: DeRozan
    SF: Ross
    PF: Amir, Patterson
    C: JV

    ..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).

    2. Live with reality likely stuck with Novak, Hayes, and Fields - with Novak having highest trade value. Hayes and Fields, no biggie as they expire in 2015, but trading Novak would be a plus.

    3. See MLSE pony up to acquire long term assets. There are no free agent prizes on Raptors horizon this summer. Use team option salaries of Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, and Stone to stock the cupboards with players on rookie deals, 2014 draft picks, or future draft picks in exchange for some nasty contracts that expire in 2014-15 (Lin, Asik, Boozer, most of the Sacramento Kings, etc.).


    Predictions:

    1. Raptors add another first round draft pick in 2014.

    2. None of 'the core' are traded. We are officially on the Indiana Pacers road to glory - minus the headcases and drama.

    3. Al-Farouq Aminu is signed via free agency.

    4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.


    Dream Acquisition:

    1. Building towards Kevin Durant in 2016.

    2. If Durant fails, enough flexibility to be able to offer a maximum contract (only to a deserving player, of course) and enough assets to trade for one (here is to awful 2016 seasons for the Nuggets and Knicks!).



    Nothing drastic above because, unless Masai has truly pulled the wool over my eyes, I don't expect anything drastic. Everyone is happy to hold hands and sing, "Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this franchise grow." That might not be a bad plan considering the last 20 years.

    What you posted is the minimal thing that he needs to do VERY EASILY ... That is what an average GM in this league should be able to do and if does not even achieve this, then the summer was a failure for him.

  16. #33
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    What you posted is the minimal thing that he needs to do VERY EASILY ... That is what an average GM in this league should be able to do and if does not even achieve this, then the summer was a failure for him.
    I'm not sure why you believe this is easy.

    - Signing Lowry, GV and Patterson under $18M collectively is difficult especially since KL played like an all-star and will be one of the most desirable free agents
    - Potentially going into luxury to swing trades for Salmons/Novak/Hansborogh to get richer contracts but additional prospects/picks (especially when picks/prospects are valued highly and many teams have cap space already) and ensuring those contracts run out in 2015
    - Signing Aminu who is liked in NO and could use his skill-set just as easily as Toronto could
    - Getting an extra first round pick.


    I'd be very happy if that happened.. and that's not easy in my opinion.

    Signing mediocre players to big contracts - now that's easy.

  17. Like Puffer, FoxMachine, stooley liked this post
  18. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    ..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).
    That's going to be really tough. I see Lowry @ 11-12M, 2Pat @ 4-5M, GV @ 3-4M. 18M is the low estimate. 23M is the overpay

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.
    Is Casey on board with this?

  19. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post


    Is Casey on board with this?
    Casey: nobody under 35 is brought in for next season.

    He is actually the mastermind behind bringing back VC.

  20. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Al Farouq Aminu will be a good signings, he is a real size SF (6'9), He is still young (turns 24), he is a good defender and he is also a Nigerian like Masai so hopefully it will be a slam dunk.

  21. #37
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    10,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Casey: nobody under 35 is brought in for next season.

    He is actually the mastermind behind bringing back VC.
    Casey' ultimate lineup

    Derek Fisher
    Andre Miller
    Rasual Butler
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Magloire
    Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

  22. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Casey' ultimate lineup

    Derek Fisher
    Andre Miller
    Rasual Butler
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Magloire
    Honestly, that's a pretty dirty lineup I would love to have that as my starting lineup...10 years ago.

    But seriously, ima call it right now. Greivas Vasquez is coming back next year. He is always saying how he loves Toronto and he is still here, I think he brought his fam here so more of his greasy big balls next year!
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  23. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Casey' ultimate lineup

    Derek Fisher
    Andre Miller
    Rasual Butler
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jamaal Magloire
    With Steve Nash as the sixth man and Kenyon Martin first big man off the bench.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  24. Like Niagara Raptor liked this post
  25. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Al Farouq Aminu will be a good signings, he is a real size SF (6'9), He is still young (turns 24), he is a good defender and he is also a Nigerian like Masai so hopefully it will be a slam dunk.
    Is he a RFA or just a FA this summer ?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •