Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chef wrote: View Post
    I think Marvin Williams would be a great SF pickup. I think his negative rep is based largely on his being a #2 draft pick. Relative to that, is he a bust? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible player. He's got good size and athleticism for the SF spot, is a solid defender, shoots decent from three (%36 last season), etc. Also, he's still only 27, and doesn't have a bad injury track record.

Is he a flashy star? No, but I think he's under-rated, and could definitely be a starter on a good team/contender, especially if he's the 3rd or 4th option on offense, as he would be here.

He's finishing up a 2-year $7.5m/year contract with Utah, but I think we could get him for a little cheaper (5-6mil), especially on a longer deal. He'd be an important piece without tying up our cap situation. Thoughts?
    Thoughts are very positive on that. Especially if we draft someone who'd let us drop Patman or Vasquez (I feel heartless saying that - I love those guys).
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I think Marvin Williams would be a great SF pickup. I think his negative rep is based largely on his being a #2 draft pick. Relative to that, is he a bust? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible player. He's got good size and athleticism for the SF spot, is a solid defender, shoots decent from three (%36 last season), etc. Also, he's still only 27, and doesn't have a bad injury track record.

Is he a flashy star? No, but I think he's under-rated, and could definitely be a starter on a good team/contender, especially if he's the 3rd or 4th option on offense, as he would be here.

He's finishing up a 2-year $7.5m/year contract with Utah, but I think we could get him for a little cheaper (5-6mil), especially on a longer deal. He'd be an important piece without tying up our cap situation. Thoughts?
      That's way too much to tie into a player that you're not 100% sure would positively benefit our team in the long run. Terrible move imo. It's those 3-4 year 5-6M deals on role players that fuck your cap situation. It's just enough money that teams don't want to take on their contracts in trades, and they can really limit flexibility.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Realistic Expectations:

1. See these guys brought back....

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
        SG: DeRozan
        SF: Ross
        PF: Amir, Patterson
        C: JV

..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).

2. Live with reality likely stuck with Novak, Hayes, and Fields - with Novak having highest trade value. Hayes and Fields, no biggie as they expire in 2015, but trading Novak would be a plus.

3. See MLSE pony up to acquire long term assets. There are no free agent prizes on Raptors horizon this summer. Use team option salaries of Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, and Stone to stock the cupboards with players on rookie deals, 2014 draft picks, or future draft picks in exchange for some nasty contracts that expire in 2014-15 (Lin, Asik, Boozer, most of the Sacramento Kings, etc.).

Predictions:

1. Raptors add another first round draft pick in 2014.

2. None of 'the core' are traded. We are officially on the Indiana Pacers road to glory - minus the headcases and drama.

3. Al-Farouq Aminu is signed via free agency.

4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.

Dream Acquisition:

1. Building towards Kevin Durant in 2016.

2. If Durant fails, enough flexibility to be able to offer a maximum contract (only to a deserving player, of course) and enough assets to trade for one (here is to awful 2016 seasons for the Nuggets and Knicks!).

Nothing drastic above because, unless Masai has truly pulled the wool over my eyes, I don't expect anything drastic. Everyone is happy to hold hands and sing, "Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this franchise grow." That might not be a bad plan considering the last 20 years.
        Dream Acquisitions getting an edit:

3. Obtain Vonleh!

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          That's way too much to tie into a player that you're not 100% sure would positively benefit our team in the long run. Terrible move imo. It's those 3-4 year 5-6M deals on role players that fuck your cap situation. It's just enough money that teams don't want to take on their contracts in trades, and they can really limit flexibility.
          I know the mid-range deal is often dreaded as poor value, but I think he does positively benefit the team. He fits a positional need, has a track record as a solid defender and offensive player, and is not a head case. Also, as Zach Lowe recently wrote, the difference between value, minimum-contract guys and the mid-level guys can swing a playoff series. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if we had a solid two-way SF with size (Marvin Williams, Trevor Ariza, etc) we would have beaten Brooklyn.

But I'm also of the opinion that Toronto needs more star-level talent in the next year or two, and am happy maintaining max cap flexibility to achieve that. If we were to go the cheapo route to leave more room for a big acquisition in the future, I would be happy if the Raps targeted one of the following Small Forwards this summer:

Caron Butler
          Mike Miller
          Al Farouq Aminu
          Wesley Johnson
          Francisco Garcia
          Chris Douglas-Roberts
          Andres Nocioni

Just keep in mind that I think Marvin Williams makes a bigger contribution than any of these others, and team success is an important part of attracting star-level FAs. It's a delicate balance.

Comment

• Also, for a backup big with size, this is my list of FAs I would like targeted this summer, hopefully receiving close to the min, definitely none at more than 3-4mill/season:

Emeka Okafor
            Nazr Mohammed
            Jordan Hill
            Ekpe Udoh
            Jason Smith
            Cole Aldrich

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
              Thoughts are very positive on that. Especially if we draft someone who'd let us drop Patman or Vasquez (I feel heartless saying that - I love those guys).
              I don't think that's necessary, and I don't see us drafting anyone that will contribute as much next season as these guys, but even our #20 pick is only going to be earning a little over 1 mil/season. I'd like the #20 pick to be drafted on potential, and occupy an end of bench role for the next couple of seasons.

Comment

I know the mid-range deal is often dreaded as poor value, but I think he does positively benefit the team. He fits a positional need, has a track record as a solid defender and offensive player, and is not a head case. Also, as Zach Lowe recently wrote, the difference between value, minimum-contract guys and the mid-level guys can swing a playoff series. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if we had a solid two-way SF with size (Marvin Williams, Trevor Ariza, etc) we would have beaten Brooklyn.

But I'm also of the opinion that Toronto needs more star-level talent in the next year or two, and am happy maintaining max cap flexibility to achieve that. If we were to go the cheapo route to leave more room for a big acquisition in the future, I would be happy if the Raps targeted one of the following Small Forwards this summer:

Caron Butler
                Mike Miller
                Al Farouq Aminu
                Wesley Johnson
                Francisco Garcia
                Chris Douglas-Roberts
                Andres Nocioni

Just keep in mind that I think Marvin Williams makes a bigger contribution than any of these others, and team success is an important part of attracting star-level FAs. It's a delicate balance.
                I wouldn't take any of those guys you listed other than al farouq aminu (love fucking saying that) Wes Johnson or Marvin Williams. All three are recent lottery picks that could still have some untapped potential. I feel like there is no point in giving Caron butler minutes because he will be like salmons 2.0. Has anyone see him play, he's a shell of his former self
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I don't think that's necessary, and I don't see us drafting anyone that will contribute as much next season as these guys, but even our #20 pick is only going to be earning a little over 1 mil/season. I'd like the #20 pick to be drafted on potential, and occupy an end of bench role for the next couple of seasons.
                  I just feel like otherwise we're giving out too much long term salary.

Also, those two guys are solid, but they're also backups. Marvin Williams would just fill a more significant hole on our team. Either you're drafting a bench wing, a bench 4 or a bench pg.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Offseason Block Buster Trade

1) Toronto out: John Salmons Grevais Vazquez (Sign and Trade), Landry Fields, Terrence Ross, OKC Pick (Give Them Back the Pick)
                    Toronto in: Serge Ibaka, Kendrick Perkins (expiring)
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lucnas6

2) Toronto out: Patrick Patterson (Sign and Trade)
                    Toronto in: Nate Robinson
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m6t6brt

Draft

1) Draft Kyle Anderson (if he slips) or TJ Warren or Jeremy Grant (@ No20)

2) Draft Damien Inglis at No37 (if he slips) or Kristaps Porzingis (@ No37)

FA Sign

1) Sign Vince Carter to the minimum

2) Resign Nando De Colo to a 2 years 3mil contract

Raps Roster
                    Lowry/Robinson/Bycks or Stone
                    DeRozan/Carter/Nando De Colo
                    20th Draft Pick/37th pick/Novak
                    Ibaka/Amir/Hayes
                    Val/Hansborough/Perkins

Comment

• Woah, isn't that a lot for Ibaka and Perkins?
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• What do you guys think it would take for us to get Chandler Parsons? Assuming Houston does not pick up the option?

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                          What do you guys think it would take for us to get Chandler Parsons? Assuming Houston does not pick up the option?
                          All three of our picks probably

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                            All three of our picks probably
                            He would be an RFA, I'm talking money.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                              He would be an RFA, I'm talking money.
                              Oh my badddd

Probably like 8 or 9 mill. Close to what demar is making.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                Offseason Block Buster Trade

1) Toronto out: John Salmons Grevais Vazquez (Sign and Trade), Landry Fields, Terrence Ross, OKC Pick (Give Them Back the Pick)
                                Toronto in: Serge Ibaka, Kendrick Perkins (expiring)
                                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lucnas6

2) Toronto out: Patrick Patterson (Sign and Trade)
                                Toronto in: Nate Robinson
                                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m6t6brt

Draft

1) Draft Kyle Anderson (if he slips) or TJ Warren or Jeremy Grant (@ No20)

2) Draft Damien Inglis at No37 (if he slips) or Kristaps Porzingis (@ No37)

FA Sign

1) Sign Vince Carter to the minimum

2) Resign Nando De Colo to a 2 years 3mil contract

Raps Roster
                                Lowry/Robinson/Bycks or Stone
                                DeRozan/Carter/Nando De Colo
                                20th Draft Pick/37th pick/Novak
                                Ibaka/Amir/Hayes
                                Val/Hansborough/Perkins
                                They probably would only want Salmons so they could waive him, so it would have to be before July, so it wouldn't be able to involve Vasquez.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X