Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valanciunas
    Johnson
    Ross
    DeRozan
    Lowry
    Hansbrough
    Patterson
    Novak
    Fields
    Vasquez
    Hayes
    De Colo

Sign a good backup G/F (Vince, Thabo, Aminu, etc.)

Sign a backup C (Okafor, O'Neal, Kaman, etc.)

Draft best player available.

*I think I'd even prefer if no veteran center is signed, and we draft a promising center instead.

Valanciunas/Hansbrough/Rookie
    Johnson/Patterson/Hayes
    Ross/Carter/Novak
    DeRozan/Fields/Rookie
    Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo

*The rookie who's a guard could be a PG or a SG, so De Colo would be the 3rd guy of any of those positions... Or even a SF.

Valanciunas/Hansbrough/Rookie
    Johnson/Patterson/Hayes
    Ross/Rookie/Novak
    DeRozan/Carter/Fields
    Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Sun May 11, 2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• caccia wrote: View Post
      Yeah, I can't think of anyone who would want a guy that ranks in the top three on the Raptors in WS/48, TR%, ORtg, and TRB per 36.
      Lol, small sample size much?
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
        How can we pry Greg Monroe from the Pistons without trading any of our core players. I think Monroe fits well at the PF for the Raptors. Our priority in the summer is to acquire a starting star-calibre PF and not Vince Carter.

Monroe is a RFA, and with detroit having Drummond and JSmove as well, their frontline is clogged. One of them has to go, most likely Monroe since he's a RFA and would cost a lot for sure.

I would like either of this 3: Monroe/Pau/ZBo. Then Jordan Hill as the backup centre. VC is my favourite to replace Salmons though, but only for the right price. So yeah I agree with you that he's not the main priority, after of course Kyle and Greivis.

Comment

• 2KJ wrote: View Post
          Monroe is a RFA, and with detroit having Drummond and JSmove as well, their frontline is clogged. One of them has to go, most likely Monroe since he's a RFA and would cost a lot for sure.

I would like either of this 3: Monroe/Pau/ZBo. Then Jordan Hill as the backup centre. VC is my favourite to replace Salmons though, but only for the right price. So yeah I agree with you that he's not the main priority, after of course Kyle and Greivis.
          One can only dream.

Sign Monroe, VC. Guess Hill wouldn't be bad at backup C.

Resign Lowry, Vasquez, 2Pat.

Somehow manage to keep the core intact.

That being said, I would only sign Monroe. Woudln't tough Pau or ZBo, they're too old. Doesn't fit with what we're trying to do with the team.

Can we even sign Monroe to a "reasonable" contract? I'd imagine he'd command upwards of 10M+, I believe we don't have the cap-space?

Comment

• phiLLy wrote: View Post
            One can only dream.

Sign Monroe, VC. Guess Hill wouldn't be bad at backup C.

Resign Lowry, Vasquez, 2Pat.

Somehow manage to keep the core intact.

That being said, I would only sign Monroe. Woudln't tough Pau or ZBo, they're too old. Doesn't fit with what we're trying to do with the team.

Can we even sign Monroe to a "reasonable" contract? I'd imagine he'd command upwards of 10M+, I believe we don't have the cap-space?
            Maybe we could do a sign and trade with fields and salmons and a first for Monroe.

The salary is there but I wouldn't do it
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• 2KJ wrote: View Post

what is their cap looking like? i like the idea of amir going that way. in a sign and trade. i think that his ankle is showing to be unreliable and no matter how hard he plays we need reliability going forward.

i really hope wince signs with the mavs. i hate that idea.

got here late but love the thread title of "devolve dream scenarios" i think a lot on here is going to go that way.

i want to sign aaron craft, and grab an athletic c to play back up. main goal this summer should be signing kyle and preparing for next year when we have a lot of cap room.

Comment

• We don't have the proper cap space to sign Monroe. I also don't think he's superstar quality, and based on that I wouldn't want to sign him for longer then 3 years. If we get him I do hope I'm wrong.

I think it's silly to sign anyone to long-term contracts on this team right now. Nobody should be an untouchable on this team, as nobody on this team is a bonafide superstar. DD is the closest thing we have to a superstar, and I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that he's a star, but not a superstar. Monroe falls in the same boat.

I'm not suggesting a complete roster overhaul, but at the end of the day this team right now at best is 2nd round fodder, even including improvements from all our young players.

The core of the team deserves another year to push further as they've earned it, but if I was MU I would be looking at getting assets back for players at their peak trade value, such as Amir and DD. I'd hate to be the one making a trade like that, especially knowing the two players and loyalty to Toronto. It's a sad truth, but it's the way of business towards an NBA championship.

Basically, MU can go about this two ways:

Evaluate the value of ALL players on the team for use on the trade market, minus players whose roles and contributions are unlikely to be upgraded based on their position or contract status on the team, such as GV (great back-up PG for a fair price), Ross and JV.
                If trading members of the core are necessary for an upgrade, do so by first respecting and notifying the players of the potential trade. Its important to continue the culture we obtained this year that players WANT to play here, and maintaining the respect of traded players is another step in that direction.
                Also, if trading the core is necessary, do NOT trade all core members, to keep the culture of stability within the organization.

The second option is to keep the core intact for one more year of assessing each players trade value. Best care scenario for this option are short-term contracts for use in the trade market next year.

I'm excited for next year, but I have to be realistic too. This core is not a championship core, and sacrifices will have be made to make Toronto contenders and not pretenders.

Comment

• caccia wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, I can't think of anyone who would want a guy that ranks in the top three on the Raptors in WS/48, TR%, ORtg, and TRB per 36.
                  When advanced stats go wrong.

Comment

• I just want to address a growing sentiment here and say that we should not trade Amir.

Amir is the lynchpin of our defense. Outside of Kyle (who isn't as good at it) he's our only starter-level player who really understands help defense and how the team should organize to defend in specific situations, which is exactly why our defensive efficiency always plummeted this season when he wasn't on the court.

For all the people complaining about "unreliability," he played 77 games this year and averaged 29 minutes per game. This is not to say that we should pay him more money, because he's earning right about what he should be earning given the ongoing concern about his ankles; the possibility that he might only play 40 games (granted, he's never played less than 62 as a starter/6th man but whatever) is moderately serious, so we get his efficiency at a discount.

And he IS efficient. He's a $7m expiring but his play value is worth more than that. I mean, his winshare this past season was 6.3 games, or about 13 percent of our wins; if you want to factor that into salary, we paid him less than ten percent of the team's salary, so he got us more wins, mathematically speaking, than we paid him to get. This is the sort of player you want around.

And all of that before you count the fact that he loves it here, he plays hard every single game, he's beloved in the locker room, he's young enough to be fiery but experienced enough to be an old hand, etc. He's very, very hard to replace - which makes the argument that maybe we shouldn't try, unless a true superstar-level power forward like Chris Bosh or Kevin Love is going to sign here. Which doesn't seem likely in the near future, so...

Comment

• tyler hansbrough for jared dudley anyone?
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        what is their cap looking like? i like the idea of amir going that way. in a sign and trade. i think that his ankle is showing to be unreliable and no matter how hard he plays we need reliability going forward.

i really hope wince signs with the mavs. i hate that idea.

got here late but love the thread title of "devolve dream scenarios" i think a lot on here is going to go that way.

i want to sign aaron craft, and grab an athletic c to play back up. main goal this summer should be signing kyle and preparing for next year when we have a lot of cap room.
                        Pistons have cap space. Jerebko has a player option for $4.5M. Billups has a team option for $2.5M. Other than that they have to decide on Monroe (and since he's an RFA they can match any offer he gets).

So assuming Jerebko picks up his option, and assuming the Pistons drop Chauncey they are at about $42M (including their draft pick).

If Monroe is back for $12M than their payroll is at $54M. The cap is expected to go up to $63M so even with Monroe they should be able to get a high end free agent. If they don't keep Monroe they'll have even more money to spend.

With Dumars gone I assume they will decide on Monroe or Smith and try to move the other. Smith will be harder to move though due to his salary ($13.5M a year - geezus). Not sure what Detroit will be looking for but I assume it would be a guy that can shoot.

Personally I'd pass on Monroe. Don't think he and JV would look good against each other especially on the defensive end.

Comment

• If Melo opts out is it possible for us to sign him or not?

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                            If Melo opts out is it possible for us to sign him or not?
                            nope
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                              If Melo opts out is it possible for us to sign him or not?
                              They can if they renounce GV, 2Pat, Buycks, Stone and Lowry. Then waive Salmons and Psycho-T.

If Carmelo wants to come here and the Knicks are open to a S&T than that opens up more options of course.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                tyler hansbrough for jared dudley anyone?
                                Or even the $4.5M TPE remaining from Gay trade.

Clippers are flirting with luxury tax. $1M might make a big difference. Remember luxury tax is a double whammy because you have to pay but you also miss out on revenue sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X