Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Or even the $4.5M TPE remaining from Gay trade.

Clippers are flirting with luxury tax. $1M might make a big difference. Remember luxury tax is a double whammy because you have to pay but you also miss out on revenue sharing.
    if they're sold to steve ballmer, that's not going to be a problem

I'd add, I'd almost rather trade THans.

And the Clippers do have a need for tough, backup big men.
    Last edited by stooley; Mon May 12, 2014, 05:44 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Clippers can't trade their 2014 pick until draft night (2015 owed to Boston). But if we can get Dudley (who's been awful) and their first round pick for Pscho-T I'd do it.. straight up I'm not sure. Dudley has a player option through 2015 and I'd rather have the cap space that year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Clippers can't trade their 2014 pick until draft night (2015 owed to Boston). But if we can get Dudley (who's been awful) and their first round pick for Pscho-T I'd do it.. straight up I'm not sure. Dudley has a player option through 2015 and I'd rather have the cap space that year.
        I actually WANT Dudley, so if they want to throw in a first, I'd be all over using the TPE to absorb his salary.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• And on that note.

Perkins + DAL 2014 1st for Hansbrough and Salmons.

Then you trade up in the draft with your 3 tradable picks (DAL, TOR, SAC 2nd) to get a lotto pick, or even include the NYK 2016 pick and/or DD in the package if you have a shot the very top prospects. And you still have that Clipper pick (if they send one with Dudley) to grab a long shot prospect later.

That leaves you with the bigger 3 and defensive C Ujiri wanted for this season, the core largely (except for any game changing draft day trade) intact, a couple of rookies added, and little impact on 2015 cap space (just Dudley's 4.5M).
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            I actually WANT Dudley, so if they want to throw in a first, I'd be all over using the TPE to absorb his salary.
            He was a good player when Nash was setting him up.. and I think he's a good character guy to have on a team. My concern is the $4.25M in 2015-2106. He has an ETO but I can't see why he wouldn't pick that option up.

Assuming KL/GV/PP are back and Amir is resigned.. there goes a lot of that cap space we'd get once Fields/Hayes and Novak are off the payroll.

For me it's easier to swallow that $4.25M bill in 2015 if we get another first round pick. If not than I'd rather just get a D-leaguer to play back up minutes at the 3.

Comment

• The other team to watch out for is Memphis. According to shamsports Memphis has a payroll of $71,894,258. Luxury tax is at $71,748,000. So the Grizzlies are over the tax by $146,258.

Could offer them a TPE and a future 2nd for Calathes. That would get them under the cap this year.

Don't really need another guard but Calathes could turn into a special player.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                I just want to address a growing sentiment here and say that we should not trade Amir.

Amir is the lynchpin of our defense. Outside of Kyle (who isn't as good at it) he's our only starter-level player who really understands help defense and how the team should organize to defend in specific situations, which is exactly why our defensive efficiency always plummeted this season when he wasn't on the court.

For all the people complaining about "unreliability," he played 77 games this year and averaged 29 minutes per game. This is not to say that we should pay him more money, because he's earning right about what he should be earning given the ongoing concern about his ankles; the possibility that he might only play 40 games (granted, he's never played less than 62 as a starter/6th man but whatever) is moderately serious, so we get his efficiency at a discount.

And he IS efficient. He's a $7m expiring but his play value is worth more than that. I mean, his winshare this past season was 6.3 games, or about 13 percent of our wins; if you want to factor that into salary, we paid him less than ten percent of the team's salary, so he got us more wins, mathematically speaking, than we paid him to get. This is the sort of player you want around.

And all of that before you count the fact that he loves it here, he plays hard every single game, he's beloved in the locker room, he's young enough to be fiery but experienced enough to be an old hand, etc. He's very, very hard to replace - which makes the argument that maybe we shouldn't try, unless a true superstar-level power forward like Chris Bosh or Kevin Love is going to sign here. Which doesn't seem likely in the near future, so...
                I couldn't agree more. Amir has been invaluable to this teams success this season. And personally, I'm not sure if I even like the idea of a Bosh or Love in Amir's place. Don't get me wrong, those are obviously great players and upgrades over Amir, but I think that is only true from a go to guy offensive perspective. And I so fear that having a high usage post player like Love would basically neuter JV. As far as I'm concerned, this organization should be looking to develop Jonas into a higher usage post player. I think he has all the tools to succeed in that role, but would he get the opportunity if a ball dominant big man were brought in?

I think Amir compliments JV quite well, and I think if JV continues to improve the pairing will only get better. I've said it before and I really believe that Taj Gibson is the only PF out there that could come in and replace Amir and do so without giving up defence while upgrading the offence, while not neutering JV's development.

If we could get Gibson (perhaps impossible) than I would be comfortable moving Amir, but otherwise I'm not so sure.

Many fans seem to want to get more or better offensive players on this team. I don't think scoring is the problem with the Raps because I also think that the team as is, can improve it's offense with little to no help from new players. JV, Ross, DD, and even GV and PP can all improve a little, at least, with their individual offensive games, but the team as whole should be able to improve it's offensive efficiency as a group next season with more practice and playing time together.

I think the challenge in the offseason is to improve a little defensively, or at the least ensure that we go into next season with the same type of defensive philosophy and capability, and moving Amir could really throw a wrench into that if he wasn't replaced with the right guy.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  And on that note.

Perkins + DAL 2014 1st for Hansbrough and Salmons.
                  Kendrick is an expiring contract right? if so I would love that move.
                  Myself (March 2014):
                  The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• In the realm of the possible... The FA signing of Emeka Okafor as a backup to JV would be a solid move. We get a veteran presence to back up JV and add a little rim protection to boot. While not a capologist I think he can be had for the MLE of 5M. It fills a need and spares Amirs body from extra pounding. He is a 10 and 10 type guy and can play 20 mins a night if needed and mentor JV for what he can provide. Chuck slides a little further down the bench as we have him till end of 2015.

In the draft we hope we get lucky and either wait for or if not to pricey trade up for another Kyle. This one an Anderson from UCLA who would be an upgrade over Salmons as a SF who can handle the ball and is 10 years younger. If Anderson is gone, and he well may be by the time the 20th pick is on the clock , then look at one of James Young, TJ Warren or Jerami Grant to fill the need at the SF position.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue May 13, 2014, 04:30 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• As an aside: it appears Stan Van Gundy has decided he's not going to re-sign Greg Monroe. I don't want the Raptors to sign Monroe (I think he's overrated, a good offensive big who's a sieve on defense). But this matters because the Pistons were always going to be a team that could potentially chase after Kyle, and if they aren't paying Greg Monroe lots of money that gives them money to chase Kyle with if they so chose.

Comment

As an aside: it appears Stan Van Gundy has decided he's not going to re-sign Greg Monroe. I don't want the Raptors to sign Monroe (I think he's overrated, a good offensive big who's a sieve on defense). But this matters because the Pistons were always going to be a team that could potentially chase after Kyle, and if they aren't paying Greg Monroe lots of money that gives them money to chase Kyle with if they so chose.
                        Josh Smith is actually a pretty decent 4 despite being the worst 3 in the league.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          Josh Smith is actually a pretty decent 4 despite being the worst 3 in the league.
                          True, but he's good as an in-the-paint 4 and if SVG is following his Orlando model with Drummond in the Dwight Howard role, SVG's looking for a stretch 4.

Honestly, I think if Monroe goes Smith becomes better by default since the paint won't be nearly as clogged. Smith is a fine playmaker, defender, and paint scorer. He's just crap at outside shooting.

Comment

As an aside: it appears Stan Van Gundy has decided he's not going to re-sign Greg Monroe. I don't want the Raptors to sign Monroe (I think he's overrated, a good offensive big who's a sieve on defense). But this matters because the Pistons were always going to be a team that could potentially chase after Kyle, and if they aren't paying Greg Monroe lots of money that gives them money to chase Kyle with if they so chose.
                            Jennings still has 3 years left on his contract. Would be difficult to keep him on the roster and go after Lowry. KL would be an upgrade, and I don't think many teams would want BJ. But yeah that would suck because they can offer a lot of money especially if Monroe leaves the team.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Jennings still has 3 years left on his contract. Would be difficult to keep him on the roster and go after Lowry. KL would be an upgrade, and I don't think many teams would want BJ. But yeah that would suck because they can offer a lot of money especially if Monroe leaves the team.
                              theyre goin after deng

Comment

• I think Marvin Williams would be a great SF pickup. I think his negative rep is based largely on his being a #2 draft pick. Relative to that, is he a bust? Sure, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible player. He's got good size and athleticism for the SF spot, is a solid defender, shoots decent from three (%36 last season), etc. Also, he's still only 27, and doesn't have a bad injury track record.

Is he a flashy star? No, but I think he's under-rated, and could definitely be a starter on a good team/contender, especially if he's the 3rd or 4th option on offense, as he would be here.

He's finishing up a 2-year $7.5m/year contract with Utah, but I think we could get him for a little cheaper (5-6mil), especially on a longer deal. He'd be an important piece without tying up our cap situation. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X