Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Stats guy gives John Salmons an award

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Stats guy gives John Salmons an award

    For years stats-inclined Raptors fans have had to mutter over Andrea Bargnani, who year after year stood out as one of the (statistically) worst players in the NBA.

    So we traded Andrea this year. Time for the end of the Raptors star turns in the anti-MVPs? No!

    Thanks to this year's anti-MVP, John Salmons. He won for the player with the lowest FG% in >300 attempts, with 36.7%. The Raptors dominance goes on!!
    http://www.hickory-high.com/2014-nba-anti-awards/

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Amir got beat out by Jason Thompson by mere points for the Shawn Kemp award for most Foul Outs.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We better not waive this stud.

  4. Like Fully liked this post
  5. #4
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OP didn't even mention the award Salmons won was the Darrick Martin award! One of our own even!
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  6. #5
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OP also didn't mention that Steve Novak won the Matt Bullard award for a player 6'10" or taller with the fewest Rebounds.

    And Rudy's horrible play here garnered him an award as well ... this is getting bad.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  7. #6
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And they've renamed the award for the player who provides the least overall production the Andrea Bargnani Award.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lol, all these records...
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    True, I missed just how much the Raptors dominated.

    I figured awards like the most foul-outs (where both Amir and Lowry were honorable mentions), while nice to laugh over, didn't really impact the bottom line of winning (or losing) basketball games to the degree that Salmons' horrendous shooting did.

    And yes, the Raptors (Gay was a Raptor when he won) won 3 of the 9 NBA anti-awards last year ... and Kyle and Amir were runner-ups for a fourth.
    Last edited by Kuh; Fri May 9th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    9,481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Someone should show this to DC LMAO

    And then DC needs to explain why he played him without using the word Veteran!
    Masai treats the Knicks like they are his personal farm team system, where he can cultivate assets for the future. It's not right or fair, but he's THE WARLORD

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Someone should show this to DC LMAO

    And then DC needs to explain why he played him without using the word Veteran!
    in short, 38.8% on three pointers

    edit: and literally no better option
    Last edited by stooley; Fri May 9th, 2014 at 07:58 PM.

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Kuh wrote: View Post
    For years stats-inclined Raptors fans have had to mutter over Andrea Bargnani, who year after year stood out as one of the (statistically) worst players in the NBA.

    So we traded Andrea this year. Time for the end of the Raptors star turns in the anti-MVPs? No!

    Thanks to this year's anti-MVP, John Salmons. He won for the player with the lowest FG% in >300 attempts, with 36.7%. The Raptors dominance goes on!!
    http://www.hickory-high.com/2014-nba-anti-awards/
    Somebody please tell me how Landry Fields is a bigger liability on offense than Salmons.

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    Somebody please tell me how Landry Fields is a bigger liability on offense than Salmons.
    in short, 38.8% on 3 pointers

  14. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    Somebody please tell me how Landry Fields is a bigger liability on offense than Salmons.
    I think he's less of a liability. Defenders sag off both of them because they know they won't score. The difference is Fields doesn't jack up a miss every time a defender sags off, he usually looks for a pass. Salmons can't wait to jack up a miss when a defender gives him space.

    I think this is the last post I will ever make regarding Salmons. The guy is basically off the team at this point (no way he comes back). Talking about him is like talking about Bargs. Puts me in a bad mood.

  15. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    in short, 38.8% on 3 pointers
    There's more to offense than shooting.

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I think he's less of a liability. Defenders sag off both of them because they know they won't score. The difference is Fields doesn't jack up a miss every time a defender sags off, he usually looks for a pass. Salmons can't wait to jack up a miss when a defender gives him space.
    Exactly. The offense still flows when the ball goes into Fields' hands. And he's great at getting open under the basket.

    Salmons doesn't do anything. He's a waste of space on the court. And to say that he's a veteran is a joke too. Being a volume shooter your whole career doesn't amount to any useful experience. So glad this guy will be gone next year.
    Last edited by nubreed000; Fri May 9th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.

  16. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    There's more to offense than shooting.

    Exactly. The offense still flows when the ball goes into Fields' hands. And he's great at getting open under the basket.

    Salmons doesn't do anything. He's a waste of space on the court. And to say that he's a veteran is a joke too. Being a volume shooter your whole career doesn't amount to any useful experience. So glad this guy will be gone next year.
    Guys, he's not good, but you might be blowing this up a little bit.

    And nubreed, that was a strange turnaround for your opinion on shooting percentages, since you literally just referenced his low overall percentage, pointing to his poor offense with literally nothing else to say.

  17. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For reference, John Salmons took 296 FGA in 1281 minutes played with the raptors. That's 1 shot every 4.35 minutes. With a TS% of 47.2%, which is bad, but with his strong 3 pt performance, he at least stretched the floor.

    Terrence Ross took 751 FGA in 2159 minutes played. That's 1 shot every 2.87 minutes. With a TS% of 55.3%.

    So TRoss was jacking up WAY more shots than John Salmons, but was more efficient. Their 3 pt % are almost identical though.

    So obviously, you'd prefer to see TRoss shoot since we're developing him, but John Salmons is not a chucker, stretches the floor and offers passable defense with more size than Ross. For a backup, that's half decent.

    For further reference, in his rookie year, when Landry knew how to shoot, and was actually coveted as a 3 and D player, he shot nearly the same percentage as John Salmons did from 3 this year.
    Last edited by stooley; Fri May 9th, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

  18. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    For reference, John Salmons took 296 FGA in 1281 minutes played with the raptors. That's 1 shot every 4.35 minutes. With a TS% of 47.2%, which is bad, but with his strong 3 pt performance, he at least stretched the floor.

    Terrence Ross took 751 FGA in 2159 minutes played. That's 1 shot every 2.87 minutes. With a TS% of 55.3%.

    So TRoss was jacking up WAY more shots than John Salmons, but was more efficient. Their 3 pt % are almost identical though.

    So obviously, you'd prefer to see TRoss shoot since we're developing him, but John Salmons is not a chucker, stretches the floor and offers passable defense with more size than Ross. For a backup, that's half decent.

    For further reference, in his rookie year, when Landry knew how to shoot, and was actually coveted as a 3 and D player, he shot nearly the same percentage as John Salmons did from 3 this year.
    I love how you're defending the guy who just won the "worst shooter of the year" award. Pick your battles man....

  19. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kindergarten stats winner. Salmons shot badly and got worse as the year went on, but his crappy .472 TS% with the Raps was better than Fields .443. Tayshaun Prince .438. Also lower than Salmons .472 - Rondo, Josh Smith, Garnett.

  20. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    There's more to offense than shooting.



    Exactly. The offense still flows when the ball goes into Fields' hands. And he's great at getting open under the basket.

    Salmons doesn't do anything. He's a waste of space on the court. And to say that he's a veteran is a joke too. Being a volume shooter your whole career doesn't amount to any useful experience. So glad this guy will be gone next year.
    Salmons had a higher Assit% than Fields and a lower Turnover %

  21. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Salmons had a higher Assit% than Fields and a lower Turnover %
    must be offseason if cats are arguing about John Salmons vs Landry Fields in reference to an Anti-MVP award
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

  22. Like consmap liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •