Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Raptors Nation

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mapping Raptors Nation

Don't know if you saw this :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...47.533,-81.297

What strikes me is the low % of likes in the city of Toronto. 30% is ok, but it's pretty weak compared to most NBA cities where you can see a high percentage of likers around the very city that hosts the team. Raptors nation seems to be spread among the country rather than built as concentric circles around the ACC, as it seems to be built in other NBA cities.

On a side note:

1. This will sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway: winning is key. Look at how popular the Bulls are in weird places. You build a winning team, you get fans all over the basketball world.

2. The Halifax training camp routine seems to work: the Halifax (and Nova Scotia) fan base seems to be quite strongly established. Maybe ownership should look into visiting other parts of the country on a more regular basis?

2. Like chch166, OldSkoolCool, stretch liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so excited when the Raps played a pre-season game in Edmonton. Got tickets right behind the bench and skipped studying for a midterm I had the next morning because I finally got a chance to see them in real life

4. Like 2KJ, chch166, BrydenB, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nets hardly register at all other than in Kings County and Richmond County N.Y..

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at all those dirty Frenchy traitors. Raps didn't even make their top 3.
    When the hell are we gonna kick them out of Canada already.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a lot of Raptor fans in Montreal
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Tell that to NY Times.

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Look at all those dirty Frenchy traitors. Raps didn't even make their top 3.
    When the hell are we gonna kick them out of Canada already.
    Lmao, as a montrealer, there is so few media coverage to anything beside the NHL and the Canadiens that it makes any interest in any other sports a marginal interest. The remaining sports coverage (about 10%) is split between soccer, CFL and NFL.

The only people I know who are basketball fans were basketball players. And the Lakers/heat/Celtics connection is more related to in-store merchandise then basketball interest.

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Really? Where are they at.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

10. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    Lmao, as a montrealer, there is so few media coverage to anything beside the NHL and the Canadiens that it makes any interest in any other sports a marginal interest. The remaining sports coverage (about 10%) is split between soccer, CFL and NFL.

The only people I know who are basketball fans were basketball players. And the Lakers/heat/Celtics connection is more related to in-store merchandise then basketball interest.

Every time they've held a preseason game in Montreal, they've sold out. I lived there up until recently and there were lots of people (on the West Island in particular) who were fans.

12. Like OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shame on you, Rainy River, Ontario.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lakers seem to have alot of fans in western canada. Most of the country seems to be divided into Raps, Lakers, and Heat fans. Alot of people obviously just supporting the good teams and casual fans identifying with the superstars. If the Raps keep winning that whole map of Canada should be Raptors red!!

15. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Don't know if you saw this :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...47.533,-81.297

What strikes me is the low % of likes in the city of Toronto. 30% is ok, but it's pretty weak compared to most NBA cities where you can see a high percentage of likers around the very city that hosts the team. Raptors nation seems to be spread among the country rather than built as concentric circles around the ACC, as it seems to be built in other NBA cities.

On a side note:

1. This will sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway: winning is key. Look at how popular the Bulls are in weird places. You build a winning team, you get fans all over the basketball world.

2. The Halifax training camp routine seems to work: the Halifax (and Nova Scotia) fan base seems to be quite strongly established. Maybe ownership should look into visiting other parts of the country on a more regular basis?
    There have been many Raptors fans in Halifax long before the training camp the last 2 years. The Raps played an exhibition game vs the 76ers in their inaugural season, and basketball is quite popular here in general. The fact that the Raps get the most TV coverage is a big reason they are #1 out east. A lot of east coast fans support who they can watch, which is why there are far too many Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics fans out here too. The Raps benefit from that though. I think the training camps helps breed a bit of goodwill and might help get some of the younger fans on board, but it's a bit na´ve to say that it's the reason for their popularity here.

Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wooo Niagara 37% raptors
    interesting to see all the Celtics fans in Kentucky
    and who the hell is liking in baffin island?

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Every time they've held a preseason game in Montreal, they've sold out. I lived there up until recently and there were lots of people (on the West Island in particular) who were fans.
    Montreal has also sold out a Timberwolves vs Celtics (woot-woot) pre-season game. People see it more as an "event" than an actual "basketball game".

But I've lived more in the french part of the city, that might be part of my observations.

Great too know though, I think they should come play 1 REGULAR season game in Montreal. This way I won't have to traael to Toronto once a year haha.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So many Heat bandwagoners lol. I mean seriously, no one cares about the Heat in Western Canada before LeBron. Now that he's there and won back to back championship, all of a sudden there's Heat fans everywhere! LOL
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    So many Heat bandwagoners lol. I mean seriously, no one cares about the Heat in Western Canada before LeBron. Now that he's there and won back to back championship, all of a sudden there's Heat fans everywhere! LOL
    I think that's fairly common in all sports. There's a reason why people who aren't even baseball fans could recognize the Yankees logo.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post

Mostly Anglo and immigrant areas, NDG, Mo West, West Isl, Dorval etc. Lil Burgundy has a lot of ballers. I agree coverage is terrible. Makes Toronto Media's Leafs/Jays bias look tame. When i went to the Preseason game at the Bell Centre it was packed, loud and very hype.

Also BBall is strangely popular up in Nunavik.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    wooo Niagara 37% raptors
    interesting to see all the Celtics fans in Kentucky
    and who the hell is liking in baffin island?
    Rondo and to a lesser extent Keith Bogans (Antoine Walker perhaps, too) are responsible for the Kentucky interest in the Celtics.

What else is there to do in the darkness of the Arctic Winter but to watch sports on satellite?

Post Thanks / Like

God Dammit Vancouver, my beloved hometown, the Raps don't show up.

God Dammit.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

did this a while ago but..... who is your second team?

I really enjoyed watching Phoenix this year

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too.

Phoenix
    Golden State
    Memphis

Come playoff time when all my other teams are gone, I'm on the Spurs bandwagon. Huge respect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information