X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping Raptors Nation

Don't know if you saw this :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...47.533,-81.297

What strikes me is the low % of likes in the city of Toronto. 30% is ok, but it's pretty weak compared to most NBA cities where you can see a high percentage of likers around the very city that hosts the team. Raptors nation seems to be spread among the country rather than built as concentric circles around the ACC, as it seems to be built in other NBA cities.

On a side note:

1. This will sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway: winning is key. Look at how popular the Bulls are in weird places. You build a winning team, you get fans all over the basketball world.

2. The Halifax training camp routine seems to work: the Halifax (and Nova Scotia) fan base seems to be quite strongly established. Maybe ownership should look into visiting other parts of the country on a more regular basis?

I was so excited when the Raps played a pre-season game in Edmonton. Got tickets right behind the bench and skipped studying for a midterm I had the next morning because I finally got a chance to see them in real life

Comment

The Nets hardly register at all other than in Kings County and Richmond County N.Y..

Comment

Look at all those dirty Frenchy traitors. Raps didn't even make their top 3.
        When the hell are we gonna kick them out of Canada already.

Comment

Definitely a lot of Raptor fans in Montreal
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
            Tell that to NY Times.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              Look at all those dirty Frenchy traitors. Raps didn't even make their top 3.
              When the hell are we gonna kick them out of Canada already.
              Lmao, as a montrealer, there is so few media coverage to anything beside the NHL and the Canadiens that it makes any interest in any other sports a marginal interest. The remaining sports coverage (about 10%) is split between soccer, CFL and NFL.

The only people I know who are basketball fans were basketball players. And the Lakers/heat/Celtics connection is more related to in-store merchandise then basketball interest.

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              Really? Where are they at.
              Myself (March 2014):
              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                Lmao, as a montrealer, there is so few media coverage to anything beside the NHL and the Canadiens that it makes any interest in any other sports a marginal interest. The remaining sports coverage (about 10%) is split between soccer, CFL and NFL.

The only people I know who are basketball fans were basketball players. And the Lakers/heat/Celtics connection is more related to in-store merchandise then basketball interest.

Really? Where are they at.
                Every time they've held a preseason game in Montreal, they've sold out. I lived there up until recently and there were lots of people (on the West Island in particular) who were fans.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Shame on you, Rainy River, Ontario.

Comment

Lakers seem to have alot of fans in western canada. Most of the country seems to be divided into Raps, Lakers, and Heat fans. Alot of people obviously just supporting the good teams and casual fans identifying with the superstars. If the Raps keep winning that whole map of Canada should be Raptors red!!

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                      Don't know if you saw this :

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...47.533,-81.297

What strikes me is the low % of likes in the city of Toronto. 30% is ok, but it's pretty weak compared to most NBA cities where you can see a high percentage of likers around the very city that hosts the team. Raptors nation seems to be spread among the country rather than built as concentric circles around the ACC, as it seems to be built in other NBA cities.

On a side note:

1. This will sound stupid, but I'll say it anyway: winning is key. Look at how popular the Bulls are in weird places. You build a winning team, you get fans all over the basketball world.

2. The Halifax training camp routine seems to work: the Halifax (and Nova Scotia) fan base seems to be quite strongly established. Maybe ownership should look into visiting other parts of the country on a more regular basis?
                      There have been many Raptors fans in Halifax long before the training camp the last 2 years. The Raps played an exhibition game vs the 76ers in their inaugural season, and basketball is quite popular here in general. The fact that the Raps get the most TV coverage is a big reason they are #1 out east. A lot of east coast fans support who they can watch, which is why there are far too many Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics fans out here too. The Raps benefit from that though. I think the training camps helps breed a bit of goodwill and might help get some of the younger fans on board, but it's a bit naïve to say that it's the reason for their popularity here.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

wooo Niagara 37% raptors
                        interesting to see all the Celtics fans in Kentucky
                        and who the hell is liking in baffin island?

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          Every time they've held a preseason game in Montreal, they've sold out. I lived there up until recently and there were lots of people (on the West Island in particular) who were fans.
                          Montreal has also sold out a Timberwolves vs Celtics (woot-woot) pre-season game. People see it more as an "event" than an actual "basketball game".

But I've lived more in the french part of the city, that might be part of my observations.

Great too know though, I think they should come play 1 REGULAR season game in Montreal. This way I won't have to traael to Toronto once a year haha.
                          Myself (March 2014):
                          The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

So many Heat bandwagoners lol. I mean seriously, no one cares about the Heat in Western Canada before LeBron. Now that he's there and won back to back championship, all of a sudden there's Heat fans everywhere! LOL
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              So many Heat bandwagoners lol. I mean seriously, no one cares about the Heat in Western Canada before LeBron. Now that he's there and won back to back championship, all of a sudden there's Heat fans everywhere! LOL
                              I think that's fairly common in all sports. There's a reason why people who aren't even baseball fans could recognize the Yankees logo.

Comment

Working...
                              X