No announcement yet.

Vasquez says that KD will come to Toronto to win championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope Vasquez is right but lets not jinx it in anyway VASQUEZ!!

Comment

I have never seen a bigger suckup than Vasquez these last couple weeks.

I can't believe people are excited by all his talk. It sounds great, but when was the last time a superstar decided to team up with a backup point guard? Or a 39 year old backup wing?

Let's focus on winning first and let the hype take care of itself.

Comment

I wouldn't call anyone delusional if they thought KD was coming here in 2016...but only because calling a delusional person delusional is mean
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

I can't believe people are excited by all his talk. It sounds great, but when was the last time a superstar decided to team up with a backup point guard? Or a 39 year old backup wing?

whatever dude.

"we" dont have to focus on shit, we're fans.

KD will actually be a raptor. i can tell

Comment

Oh Greasy.

Never change.

I like him as a back up PG moving forward. Hopefully he is able to be resigned for less than $4M. If he is serious about getting KD here, he'll have to keep his contract as reasonable as possible.

Comment

Changing my name to "Greasy Balls of Steel".
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                Bolas El Grande?
                El Cojones
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

I'm completely aware of what he's doing and I'm loving it!
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Hmm. Could the Raptors have cap room in 2016? I thought it was a long shot, but if they are really careful, starting this summer, it is a possibility, assuming DD opts out (and he almost certainly will).

Currently they have only Ross and JV on the books for that year, and then only cap holds (for a total of 20M), as they will be RFA's. Assuming Lowry re-signs for 4/48, GV and Patman re-sign for 5/25, and those contracts are valleyed around 2016, you're looking at 41M in committed salary. Add in 4 draft picks (2014, 2015, 2016 - assumed 20th all three years, NYK 2016 - assumed 10th overall) and cap holds and you are looking at a team salary of 48.8M. The cap in 2015 is projected at 66.5M, a 3.3M jump over the current projection for 2014. So assuming the same jump to the 2016 cap means the cap sits at 69.8M that year. Perhaps a bit optimistic, but the league growth has far outdone projections lately (originally the 2014 cap was projected at 61.0M, now it is going to be closer to 63.2M). That means 21M in cap room - just enough to fit a max offer for Durant.

Of course, this assumes we take on no salary beyond 2015-16 between now and then, besides the three free agents this summer. Which implies that Amir Johnson is let go in free agency next summer. Meaning that Durant would be coming here to join JV, Patterson, Ross, Vasquez and Lowry, plus several rookie scale guys. Is that a core that could attract him? I have to admit, he does fit nicely given the only position not filled there is SF.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

KEvin Durant has opened a couple of restaurants in Oklahoma City and has really bonds with the city.

Obviously he also plays with Westbrook, which is a good enough reason to want out.
                      Myself (March 2014):
                      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Hmm. Could the Raptors have cap room in 2016? I thought it was a long shot, but if they are really careful, starting this summer, it is a possibility, assuming DD opts out (and he almost certainly will).

Currently they have only Ross and JV on the books for that year, and then only cap holds (for a total of 20M), as they will be RFA's. Assuming Lowry re-signs for 4/48, GV and Patman re-sign for 5/25, and those contracts are valleyed around 2016, you're looking at 41M in committed salary. Add in 4 draft picks (2014, 2015, 2016 - assumed 20th all three years, NYK 2016 - assumed 10th overall) and cap holds and you are looking at a team salary of 48.8M. The cap in 2015 is projected at 66.5M, a 3.3M jump over the current projection for 2014. So assuming the same jump to the 2016 cap means the cap sits at 69.8M that year. Perhaps a bit optimistic, but the league growth has far outdone projections lately (originally the 2014 cap was projected at 61.0M, now it is going to be closer to 63.2M). That means 21M in cap room - just enough to fit a max offer for Durant.

Of course, this assumes we take on no salary beyond 2015-16 between now and then, besides the three free agents this summer. Which implies that Amir Johnson is let go in free agency next summer. Meaning that Durant would be coming here to join JV, Patterson, Ross, Vasquez and Lowry, plus several rookie scale guys. Is that a core that could attract him? I have to admit, he does fit nicely given the only position not filled there is SF.
                        Dan, how do other teams run up such high payrolls??

Is there not an easy scenario, starting from now that see's Toronto over the cap to get this done. Of all people I trust you to be able to suss that out, you're my guy for all things cap related!!!!!!

Comment

then let us cheer for the clippers to win the next two games because the only way Durant will come is if the thunder cant get it done and then break up. westbrook to the lakers and Durant to the Raptors

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                            then let us cheer for the clippers to win the next two games because the only way Durant will come is if the thunder cant get it done and then break up. westbrook to the lakers and Durant to the Raptors
                            Westbrook's contract runs a year beyond KD's.

So if the scenario were to play out it would be KD in '16 and Westbrook to LA in '17.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Westbrook's contract runs a year beyond KD's.

So if the scenario were to play out it would be KD in '16 and Westbrook to LA in '17.
                              I think he meant them blowing it up this summer before those guys can walk in free agency. In which case, we've got the assets to make that happen. I can't see them moving Durant though - I'd think if anything they'd explore a Westbrook trade and see if they can't take one more kick at the can with Durant.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                Dan, how do other teams run up such high payrolls??

Is there not an easy scenario, starting from now that see's Toronto over the cap to get this done. Of all people I trust you to be able to suss that out, you're my guy for all things cap related!!!!!!

Well, if you want to operate over the cap, it means we have to get him via trade or sign-and-trade, and then it can get really pricey in terms of assets. I'd think the starting point for a conversation with OKC would be DD, our 1st, our 1st 2016, NYK's 1st 2016, plus Salmons' effective expiring contract. Which I would be on board with. But some might not be, especially considering the risk he walks in 2016. It's even more dicey if you wait for a sign-and-trade, because then you have to hope you can both persuade Durant to sign here AND OKC to participate in the sign-and-trade.

The key to running up high payrolls is to get your superstar on board first, then via raises, extensions, rookie scale guys becoming non-rookie scale guys, and mid-level signings, you pump up that salary over the course of a few years. Putting together a superstar team is not a tax paying situation. Keeping it together is (note that MIA did not pay tax in the first year of the big 3 - but they have ever since).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X