Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Monroe available, good fit for Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm surprised that Detroit doesn't want to just sign him and then trade him away in December. I guess they don't like the idea of going with Smith/Monroe/Drummond for 2 months. But giving away their second best asset is dumb. If MU pulled that stunt on Ross or JV I'd be pissed.
    Probably because:

1) the agent is looking for near MAX money, and

2) if they match an offer, Monroe has one year to null any trade he doesn't like.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      It lowers it to an extent. say teams want Monroe, but they know Detroit will match, they'd probably make a higher than normal (market value) offer in hopes that Detroit finds it too expensive and doesn't match. Say something like 12 million. Now that they know it won't be matched, teams can start their offers waaaay lower ($6-8 million) and even if a bidding war ensues, his price will be lower than it would had teams thought Detroit would match.

Thought: can we trade salmons for his RFA rights?
      Yeah, I guess I see that. Before there had to be one team willing to go to 12M, now there has to be two.

re: Salmons, we could, if we take on Jennings, but then Detroit has nothing holding them back from poaching Lowry, which is scary, plus we have Jennings.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        Yeah, I guess I see that. Before there had to be one team willing to go to 12M, now there has to be two.

re: Salmons, we could, if we take on Jennings, but then Detroit has nothing holding them back from poaching Lowry, which is scary, plus we have Jennings.
        Why would we have to take back Jennings? They've already said they're not gonna sign the guy, might as well get some more cap relief out of it, sounds pretty win-win, unless I'm missing something.
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Probably because:

1) the agent is looking for near MAX money, and

2) if they match an offer, Monroe has one year to null any trade he doesn't like.
          Makes sense from that regards.. but to get no asset in return for a guy that could average 20/10 is not smart management in my opinion.

It lowers it to an extent. say teams want Monroe, but they know Detroit will match, they'd probably make a higher than normal (market value) offer in hopes that Detroit finds it too expensive and doesn't match. Say something like 12 million. Now that they know it won't be matched, teams can start their offers waaaay lower ($6-8 million) and even if a bidding war ensues, his price will be lower than it would had teams thought Detroit would match.

Thought: can we trade salmons for his RFA rights?
          I believe that can be done prior to July 1. And I'm sure Detroit will be accepting offers like that. That way they would get something in return for him. Still don't think JV/Monroe would make a good tandem. Plus I think he's going to get somewhere around $13-15M which is too rich for me.

Comment

Why would we have to take back Jennings? They've already said they're not gonna sign the guy, might as well get some more cap relief out of it, sounds pretty win-win, unless I'm missing something.
            well how would that equal cap relief? we'd have to take on some salary, or else they aren't getting any relief right?
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Makes sense from that regards.. but to get no asset in return for a guy that could average 20/10 is not smart management in my opinion.
              that was unfortunately thrust on them by the Smith signing. they've got to make the best of their situation now, which isn't ideal, but is actually not too bad.

gotta think with a proper coach both smith and jennings can make a semi-monta ellis revival
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

You cannot trade a free agent's rights.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Stop this I having nightmares about him and JV playing help side defence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I would take him

Comment

I actually think if JV takes another step forward in defense and rebounding that Monroe would be a really really good fit. He's a skilled offensive 4 with good range, great passing, he'd open up the floor a lot with that passing since right now the only legit passer is Kyle. It would allow Amir and Patterson to come off the bench and be the lightning to the Monroe/JV thunder, where they'd provide the hustle and hard, but undersized D.

He's a poor man's Kevin Love in a sense (obviously no 3's but still), and when it was brought up earlier I thought Love would be the perfect addition to this team.

Comment

He doesn't shoot from outside, he doesn't block shots, and he didn't have the motivation to play particularly well in a contract year. I couldn't be less interested.
                        Last edited by JimiCliff; Wed May 14, 2014, 07:12 PM.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          I actually think if JV takes another step forward in defense and rebounding that Monroe would be a really really good fit. He's a skilled offensive 4 with good range, great passing, he'd open up the floor a lot with that passing since right now the only legit passer is Kyle. It would allow Amir and Patterson to come off the bench and be the lightning to the Monroe/JV thunder, where they'd provide the hustle and hard, but undersized D.

He's a poor man's Kevin Love in a sense (obviously no 3's but still), and when it was brought up earlier I thought Love would be the perfect addition to this team.
                          Offensively GM would be fantastic trusting that demar improves his 3 ball. But defensively our front court will look like a deer in the headlight. Unless demar turns into some defensive force that prevents penetration into the paint.

It's funny how everything ends with Demar needing to do something.

I guess you can only hide 1 player of the starting unit from their flaws.

Comment

The only thing I like about him is his nickname. "Moose". Great nickname.
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Amir is probably a better player than him right now, if you're considering both sides of the ball, and he's making like 30% of what Monroe will get next year.
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                He doesn't shoot from outside, he doesn't block shots, and he didn't have the motivation to play particularly well in a contract year. I couldn't be less interested.
                                This, couldn't agree more. This will be the last I comment on Monroe because seeing his name pop up all the time annoys me greatly. Hopefully someone signs him ASAP to put an end to it!
                                He's very slow as well, he's a center. Poor fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X