Brand and Arenas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand and Arenas

So... knowing this team needs a heart transplant, or at the least, an overhaul in talent at certain spots would BC be well advised to sidle up to Philadelphia and Washington and offer these trades:

Turkoglu, Evans and $3 million cash
    FOR
    Brand, a lottery protected 1st & a 2nd

Bargnani or Calderon, Banks & Bellinelli
    FOR
    Arenas, a lottery protected 1st, a 2nd & $3 million cash

(If Bargnani goes to Washington then Calderon is traded as well)

I picked up the Turkoglu for Brand idea from a commenter at Raptors Hq. Makes sense a Hedo is a facilitator they could use while Brand actually rebounds and plays decent defense. Savings for Philly represent ~

$3.2 in yr 1 / $6.4 in yr 2 / $6.8 in yr 3 / -12.2 in yr 4 ($5.1 million over the life of the deal).

Neither player is working out as they should, both COULD work in their new city and even if Brand does NOT work for the Raptors they are done with him a year earlier than they would be with Hedo.

Bargnani is the better call as far as financials go - he makes more than Calderon over the life of his deal and his deal lasts longer.

Washington drops a major headache and the only major issue is: how much are they willing to pay to drop it? I am thinking that BC should be able to do far better than my offer but one never knows. Savings for Washington:

-$0.5 in yr 1 / $10.3 in yr 2 / $10.8 in yr 3 / $11.3 in yr 4 / -$12.0 in yr 5 ($19.9 million over the life of the deal).

Raptors get a big upgrade at the Guard spot (Arenas can play defense very well when he wants to) and, like with the Brand deal, they exit a year earlier. If Calderon is the guy traded then that draft pick needs to be unprotected.

Big outlay of cash for MLSE but it may be the only way to exit this fiasco of a team and who knows - if this is laid out as the plan going forward to Bosh he could very well decide to stay.

I fear for the team's safety with this deal.

Comment

Turkoglu > Brand = Brand's legs are shot. No change is going to make his legs move better. Physically, he is incapable of being the player he once was.

Calderon > Arenas = at least until Gilbert proves he can regain his pre-injury form which is far too big an assumption to base a trade on considering the consequences of Gilbert's contract.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

I agree about Brand but I don't agree about Arenas. There are times when you need to roll the dice if you want to be successful. If the Raptors play it safe all the time they will never accomplish anything. I think the risk/reward with Arenas is too good to pass up. Arenas is a far better player than Jose Calderon and even if he doesn't quite get back to where he used to be he'll still more effective than Jose Calderon. Arenas has fire, he wants to win and does what is needed of him to insure that he's giving his team everything he can to help them win. He may be the hardest worker in the NBA in terms of practice and preparation. You can't say that about Calderon.

Comment

Well, I don't know if Arenas is really all THAT and a bag of chips but he is quite a bit better defensively - even at half-speed - than Calderon is and Arenas is a better scorer as well. Calderon may be a better playmaker but when your defensive game is that bad, and your name isn't Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, then whoopdee-doo really.

The hope here would be that he (Arenas) comes in with something to prove.

Brand is more of a strategic move than anything else. Getting free of a bad contract a year early is worth something - even though I don't think an expiring contract that size will mean as much under the new CBA as it does now. Also, Brand - at one quarter speed is a better rebounder than Bargnani is now.

Finally, I fully believe three things have really set this team back more than anything else:

1. Carter trade
          2. Araujo pick
          3. Garbajosa injury

If Bosh leaves the Hedo signing becomes #4.

Comment

Is just sad to see the price that Collangelo is silently paying for his mistakes:

1. Trade Charlie Villanueva, a promising young star for an injury prone TJ Ford.
            2. Trade TJ Ford + 1st pick to Indiana for JO with only one leg
            3. Trade JO + 1st pick to Heat for Marion + a really bad contract (third string PG with +4mil/year for 3 year left)
            (to be consumed) 4. Sign FA Hedo and to get rid of him, sacrifice yet another 1st pick?

This madness has to stop. If Bosh leaves, Raptors needs to build the future squad without gambling that much, with a proper balance between draft picks, solid FA and smart trades. Enough with this approach trying to hit the jackpot with washed up ex-all-stars.

Comment

Working...
            X