Thread: Developing young players

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Developing young players

This is a fantastic read about what Coach Brett Brown is doing with Nerlens Noel in Philly, before Noel has even played a single game in the NBA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...lost-to-injury

Considering Brown was stolen away from the Spurs, there's pretty solid evidence that this approach will be successful, and I really wish this was something that we could really build a culture around. Developing young players is an investment. I read a LOT about the Raptors, and although I may have missed it, I've never seen anything remotely this comprehensive created for developing one of our young players. The plan always seems to be... add 10-15 lbs in the summer and work on your 3-pointer. (I'm only half-kidding. Last summer we had Demar/Rudy/Quincy Acy/Amir Johnson shooting threes.)

Gotta say I'm a little jealous.

(As an aside, Hiring that type of coach from San Antonio was a pretty genius move by Sam Hinkie, not to mention stockpiling amazing young talent. It speaks to a sort of unified vision that I have yet to see unfold from MU, given that all our starters are Colangelo guys and we just re-signed Colangelo's coaching hire for three years. Hopefully MU can put his stamp on the team this summer.)
    Last edited by Scraptor; Sat May 17th, 2014 at 03:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

just imagining the defensive potential of that team with Wiggins... 3 years out 8th seed...5 years out who knows...

Post Thanks / Like

are they planning to play him at centre?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article. One-on-one instruction has the capability to have huge impact on a young players game, assuming that one of the people involved really knows their basketball.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope philly's plan crashes and burns. it would make me feel a lot better about the raptors

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Bayno did a good job with JV?

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayno has done a really good job with both JV and Ross.

For the first time in franchise history I am confident in our ability to draft someone and help them succeed. Not like in the past where we just hope that they 'get it'

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Noel is going go to almost 2 years without playing a game. He was cleared to play back in January. I think what they are doing with him will stunt his development. There is no balance at all. You need to be apply what you've learned before soaking in more.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Big_Chris667 wrote: View Post
    Noel is going go to almost 2 years without playing a game. He was cleared to play back in January. I think what they are doing with him will stunt his development. There is no balance at all. You need to be apply what you've learned before soaking in more.
    Interesting point. It could go either way, though, like when Kelly Olynyk took a year of red-shirting for Gonzaga and came back a vastly improved player after a year of intense skills development.

I mean, Noel couldn't play in games anyway, so what's the alternative? And we don't have access to what's actually going on. I think you'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to the former Spurs director of player development for knowing what he's doing.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to guess, I would say the regimen the sixers set up for Noel is nothing special for a high pick. We just never hear about the rookie/young player development plans in such detail.

I'd also bet that releasing this info was a calculated move on the sixers' part. Designed to make explicit the behind-the-scenes effort that was happening during a season when many high profile nba figures were openly disgusted by the team that was on the floor.

Cool article though.

11. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Noel is going to be a strong player offensively and as such will be limited. They will have to have some high usage guards/wings to over come his deficiency. Even Wiggins is more proven as a defender than a scorer at this point (assuming they get him in the draft).

Obviously it could go either way (Noel/MCW/two 2014 picks/value they get from Thad) could turn into an OKC type contender.. or they could fall apart and become the Utah Jazz minus Al Jefferson/Millsap.

They are a really interesting team. Too bad they are in our division because if it works out for them, the Raptors are screwed.

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Big_Chris667 wrote: View Post
    No, he wasn't. He was cleared for limited basketball activities. He still hadn't participated in 5 on 5 practice in mid-March, and although he wanted to come back for April, he wasn't ready.
    “No funny business. It was a goal of mine to be able to come back and be cleared to play by the Sixers by then (4-4-14) but I was not and that’s that.”
    -Nerlens Noel, April 8, 2014
    Keep him out the last couple of weeks is not a big deal at all given that he hadn't gone through training camp or preseason games.

I don't think it's going to backfire. I think the kid is going to be an elite rim protector. And as Brown said, Noel is a 3-5 year project.

Thread Information