Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steve Kerr trying to steal Nurse

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Time for Raptors to pull a Weltman where by you double the "normal" salary of position.

Weltman was making about $500K with Bucks and with Raps he is getting $1M.... at least that is what I recall from last year.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nurse better stay. Steve Kerr can kiss my ass
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, contract or not, players, managers and exec generally become sour when you force them to pass up a promotion.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see why he would. He's got roughly the same position here, and he could be the next head coach of TOR if Casey screws up
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Can we trade a coach for a draft pick and/or player?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    Can we trade a coach for a draft pick and/or player?
    Clippers gave up a future first for Doc.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

When I spoke to Nick Nurse, he gave me a blunt, "I don't know" and alluded that he might go with Kerr to NY. Now that Kerr is in Golden State, one can speculate even more.

That was weeks ago when we talked so maybe things have changed. He might stay, he might not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fair89 wrote: View Post
    When I spoke to Nick Nurse, he gave me a blunt, "I don't know" and alluded that he might go with Kerr to NY. Now that Kerr is in Golden State, one can speculate even more.

That was weeks ago when we talked so maybe things have changed. He might stay, he might not.
    Who are you? lol
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fair89 wrote: View Post

Considering how hard it is to break into coaching at the NBA level, and how disposable coaches are, all coaches probably see themselves as mercenaries willing to take whatever opportunity is best for them.

Unless you're a Hall of Fame coach, most Execs, fans (and some players) have zero-loyalty to coaches. We shouldn't be surprised if coaches have zero-loyalty to an organization.

Not only do the Warriors have an intriguing roster, but Nurse would likely have more influence behind the scenes with a 1st year head coach at the helm, than here with Casey, who has been coaching for 20-plus years.
    Last edited by bryan colangelo; Sun May 18th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we lose Nurse then the Casey re-hire will look shitty in hindsight. I have to think Masai is grooming Nurse as the coach of the future. The only thing he didn't have on his resume was NBA Assistant. He's had championship level success everywhere he has coached. He completely fixed Casey's retarded offense. Luckily MLSE is willing to spend now, because losing Nurse over $1M a year extra pay would be criminally stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    If we lose Nurse then the Casey re-hire will look shitty in hindsight. I have to think Masai is grooming Nurse as the coach of the future. The only thing he didn't have on his resume was NBA Assistant. He's had championship level success everywhere he has coached. He completely fixed Casey's retarded offense. Luckily MLSE is willing to spend now, because losing Nurse over $1M a year extra pay would be criminally stupid.
    I agree, use those pockets MLSE!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Nurse the guy recommending all those DD/Lowry ISOs, ignoring JV in the post and telling Ross to go sit in the corner? If yes, then, what's so great about this guy? If no, then what's his role, if Casey doesn't listen to him?

13. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Was Nurse the guy recommending all those DD/Lowry ISOs, ignoring JV in the post and telling Ross to go sit in the corner? If yes, then, what's so great about this guy? If no, then what's his role, if Casey doesn't listen to him?
    It's not like Nurse gets to call the offense all game while Casey sits back sipping Pina Colada's. Nurse designed the much improved offensive sets this year, and this is done in practice. It's the first year of Casey's tenure where we consistently used screens, and several of them per possession. When we switch to iso ball it's probably Casey asking DD/Lowry to take over the game. Nurse also wouldn't get to decide the lineups all game, and Casey insisted on using some seriously offensively challenged lineups for long stretches of time (e.g. when Hayes is in instead of JV you can't run the same plays). Ross sits in the corner because he is an amazing catch and shoot 3 point shooter, but not very good at doing it off the roll or dribble. I don't really have a problem with that. When we run several screens Ross is eventually left open in the corner and he can hit that shot at a very high rate.
    Last edited by Primer; Sun May 18th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The sets improved throughout the year, because they worked on it and luckily had the pieces.

During pressers Casey would say their play calling is simple with several options, but as the season worn on the Raptors ran a lot of 'random' basketball which includes isos and p&r (via vasquez, lowry, derozan) during late shot clock situations. It didn't work well in the playoffs when they needed buckets!

Continuity is key and their chemistry on offence will get better for next season.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Who are you? lol
    I am someone on the forum who reads a lot here, but only contributes when I have something to say.

I spoke to Nurse and he kindly answered my questions. He's a cool dude.

Random fact: he has an accounting degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post

We get it, you like Nick Nurse. Everything good was because of Nick Nurse, everything bad was because of Dwane Casey.

Is Nick Nurse your dad or something?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick Nurse is a really good coach. He won 3 championships within the D-league and he's also helped our offense tremendously.

I really don't want to see him go. The Raptors are a good place to be in right now, and hes already seen the result of their collaboration. Hopefully it continues onwards.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    Nick Nurse is a really good coach. He won 3 championships within the D-league and he's also helped our offense tremendously.

I really don't want to see him go. The Raptors are a good place to be in right now, and hes already seen the result of their collaboration. Hopefully it continues onwards.
    Random question.

When they win champianships in the d league do they celebrate and run parades through the city. Or do they just smile and take the trophy knowing they all suck and won the equivalent of a consolation trophy for being losers who couldn't make the nba
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Random question.

When they win champianships in the d league do they celebrate and run parades through the city. Or do they just smile and take the trophy knowing they all suck and won the equivalent of a consolation trophy for being losers who couldn't make the nba
    Might be like the celebration by the NIT or whatever college tournament, played by the schools not good enough to be in March Madness.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Random question.

Considering they play in gigantic metropolises like Rio Grande, Erie and Santa Cruz, I'd assume parades are in order.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Thread Information