Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MACK11 wrote: View Post
    And couldn't even get the Bucks GM position
    Haha, very true. He was just turned down by the ugliest girl at the party.

Comment

I'll give you this much Primer: when I heard this might happen, I wasn't feeling too great about Casey.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
        Seriously? I can't comment on the coaching without you being a douche?
        No, YOU can't comment on coaching without being a douche.

So many of your assumptions on what makes the coaching staff effective are based entirely on speculation and knowledge that only people in the locker room or behind the scenes would be privy too.

You talk about Nurse as if Masai brought him in as a potential replacement for Casey. Or that you can some how draw a line between all the good and bad coaching decisions between Casey and Nurse, as if playing and coaching basketball wasn't a team effort.

For all we know, Nurse might very well have been Masai's first choice for an offensive coordinator. In that case, Casey would get credit for building a great coaching staff, but whatever subjective/confirmation bias you harbour against Casey would never even consider that kind of possibility.

Nurse had a great record in the NBDL and deserves a shot at a head coaching position over a lot of guys. But sheesh — I'm sure Casey and the rest of the coaching staff help him do his job as much as he helps them.

It's nothing personal, but the tendency for fans to fixate on one person in a team sport like it's the salvation or cancer of a franchise — free Landry, free JV, fire the coach — is one of my pet peeves.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post

So many of your assumptions on what makes the coaching staff effective are based entirely on speculation and knowledge that only people in the locker room or behind the scenes would be privy too.

You talk about Nurse as if Masai brought him in as a potential replacement for Casey. Or that you can some how draw a line between all the good and bad coaching decisions between Casey and Nurse, as if playing and coaching basketball wasn't a team effort.

For all we know, Nurse might very well have been Masai's first choice for an offensive coordinator. In that case, Casey would get credit for building a great coaching staff, but whatever subjective/confirmation bias you harbour against Casey would never even consider that kind of possibility.

Nurse had a great record in the NBDL and deserves a shot at a head coaching position over a lot of guys. But sheesh — I'm sure Casey and the rest of the coaching staff help him do his job as much as he helps them.

It's nothing personal, but the tendency for fans to fixate on one person in a team sport like it's the salvation or cancer of a franchise — free Landry, free JV, fire the coach — is one of my pet peeves.
          Sounds like you should just avoid forums and comment sections all together. This is where we fans come to talk about sports, and that inherently involves lots of speculation (even journalists, reporters, sports anchors speculate. Have you ever watched PTI, around the horn, cold pizza, etc.....). If that bugs you, don't bother reading, and certainly don't bitch and moan at us for doing so.

I'm not just pulling all of this stuff about Nurse out of my ass though. It's from quotes from Masai, Casey, and players on the team. I enjoy reading those articles and talking about them with people here. So, keep your personal insults to yourself. Bang on your keyboard or something instead.
          Last edited by Primer; Tue May 20, 2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

We wouldn't have to "free Landry" if you didn't sign him to a ridiculous contract
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Sounds like you should just avoid forums and comment sections all together. This is where we fans come to talk about sports, and that inherently involves lots of speculation (even journalists, reporters, sports anchors speculate. Have you ever watched PTI, around the horn, cold pizza, etc.....). If that bugs you, don't bother reading, and certainly don't bitch and moan at us for doing so.

I'm not just pulling all of this stuff about Nurse out of my ass though. It's from quotes from Masai, Casey, and players on the team. I enjoy reading those articles and talking about them with people here. So, keep your personal insults to yourself. Bang on your keyboard or something instead.
              You're the one that insulted me, remember? I just pointed out your crazy Nick Nurse fetish, and weird need to throw Casey under the bus every time you bring him up.

Asking if Nick Nurse is your dad is hardly mean-spirited. Lighten up.

Comment

You're the one that insulted me, remember? I just pointed out your crazy Nick Nurse fetish, and weird need to throw Casey under the bus every time you bring him up.

Asking if Nick Nurse is your dad is hardly mean-spirited. Lighten up.
                I took it as an insult. Just like I take offense to being called crazy and having a fetish for Nick Nurse. I think he's a great coach and love what he did with the offense. Quotes from Casey and the players have made it clear Nurse revamped the offense, so I didn't make that up (not sure why you refuse to believe it). I think Casey sucks as a coach, shouldn't open me up to being berated by you. Especially when your whole argument was that I was speculating, like we have any other choice being that none of us work for an NBA team and are privy to what goes on inside. All we can do as fans is speculate given the information we have (watching games, reading articles). If you wanna defend Casey, great, do it, but don't dismiss everything everyone else says out of hand because its speculation.

Comment

I took it as an insult. Just like I take offense to being called crazy and having a fetish for Nick Nurse. I think he's a great coach and love what he did with the offense. Quotes from Casey and the players have made it clear Nurse revamped the offense, so I didn't make that up (not sure why you refuse to believe it). I think Casey sucks as a coach, shouldn't open me up to being berated by you. Especially when your whole argument was that I was speculating, like we have any other choice being that none of us work for an NBA team and are privy to what goes on inside. All we can do as fans is speculate given the information we have (watching games, reading articles). If you wanna defend Casey, great, do it, but don't dismiss everything everyone else says out of hand because its speculation.
                  Then I respectfully apologize. I meant to poke fun at you but not annoy or insult you.

I agree Nick Nurse is an excellent coach, that deserves a shot. And the idea that Golden State would overpay/overcommit for Kerr and try to lure Nurse, instead of hiring a coach like Nurse outright, disgusts me.

The only reason I think guys like Nurse aren't given a shot is that they haven't proven they can coach elite talent yet. I think the fear among GMs is that the power dynamic in the NBDL is too different — every NBL game is an audition and every player is heavily motivated to buy into a coach's strategy.

That's why you only see assistants that have paid heavy dues or former players get the head coaching nod in the NBA, because from a GMs perspective, they need to at the very least command the respect of NBA pro's, whether they be rookies, vets or stars with a certain level of entitlement.

Of course, that kind of crap is obviously unfair to young, talented coaches, or international and college coaches, that are probably technically capable of doing a great job.

That being said I don't think it's the end of the world if Nurse leaves, though, or Masai made some kind of error in rehiring Casey. Casey's contract is more than reasonable, and you can't plan you staff based on what you're afraid your competitors might do.

Colangelo did that, and ended up overpaying for guys.

Comment

Then I respectfully apologize. I meant to poke fun at you but not annoy or insult you.

I agree Nick Nurse is an excellent coach, that deserves a shot. And the idea that Golden State would overpay/overcommit for Kerr and try to lure Nurse, instead of hiring a coach like Nurse outright, disgusts me.

The only reason I think guys like Nurse aren't given a shot is that they haven't proven they can coach elite talent yet. I think the fear among GMs is that the power dynamic in the NBDL is too different — every NBL game is an audition and every player is heavily motivated to buy into a coach's strategy.

That's why you only see assistants that have paid heavy dues or former players get the head coaching nod in the NBA, because from a GMs perspective, they need to at the very least command the respect of NBA pro's, whether they be rookies, vets or stars with a certain level of entitlement.

Of course, that kind of crap is obviously unfair to young, talented coaches, or international and college coaches, that are probably technically capable of doing a great job.

That being said I don't think it's the end of the world if Nurse leaves, though, or Masai made some kind of error in rehiring Casey. Casey's contract is more than reasonable, and you can't plan you staff based on what you're afraid your competitors might do.

Colangelo did that, and ended up overpaying for guys.
                    The thing that would keep me from freaking out if Nurse left is that Masai is still in charge of the hiring and I bet he'd find another hidden gem.

I think you're right about the NBA experience being a prerequisite to being an NBA coach. Only top level NCAA head coaches have made the move without prior NBA experience, and it doesn't always work out so well. Players and staff around the NBA are starting to take notice of Nurse, and he'll probably have enough credibility after another season or two to jump up to a head coaching role.

Comment

Nurse safe now?

New Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr has hired Alvin Gentry as his associate head coach, agent Warren LeGarie told Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/warrior...045810106.html

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        Nurse safe now?
                        I really hope so. Of course, after one more season as an NBA assistant I expect him to receive some head coaching offers next offseason.

Comment

i read somewhere all the asst coaches were coming back, for one season at least.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                          X