This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expiring Contract Worth This Summer

Below is a list of potential expiring contracts for the summer of 2011.

Reggie Evans: $5,080,000
    Marcus Banks: $4,752,000
    Marco Belinelli: $2,380,270
    Sonny Weems: $854,389
    Total: S13,066,659
    Source: HoopsHype.com

The question here is what is the worth of these contracts this summer? Are they enough for Toronto to land a borderline star from a team selling? Would they be best used help market a Hedo or Jose trade? How do you feel they could be best used?

For what its worth seeing how Weems is dirt cheap and we have the option of picking up his final year, I don't think he's going anywhere. He's a bargin at $854,389.

Comment

I say we definitley KEEP Sonny he is going to be a good player in this league. The rest we can juggle around for trades and what not...
      Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post
        I say we definitley KEEP Sonny he is going to be a good player in this league. The rest we can juggle around for trades and what not...
        Welcome to the RR forums Buschfire.

Comment

Welcome. I agree, Sonny is going to be a good bench player in this league and when you consider that and his contract I feel he probably will get traded. He's a very good asset to be used to tip the scale in trade negotiations. His contract is so small that he can be thrown into almost any deal easily.

Comment

Thank You for the warm welcome fellow posters. I look forward to many frustrating rants! *Apollo, I hope he doesn't get traded, and that Toronto gives him a chance to develop his skills rather then get tossed around the league and eventually forgotten...

If he does get traded, I just hope its a good enough package to bring a player in that can make a difference to the team for years to come. and I hope whereever Sonny goes he gets the playing time that he has earned here in T dot.
            Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

He can be a good asset to develop, too. I like his size and quickness, and if he develops a consisten 3-point shoot,
              we can have a solid wing for years to come.

Comment

I think keeping Sonny is very important to the developement of Demar and vice versa. They have the atheletic ability to push each other and if they could both develope some consistency it would be a thing of beauty in Toronto.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Would they be best used help market a Hedo or Jose trade?
                  Expiring contracts only have value to teams who are looking for improved cap flexibility.

Taking back a contract like Hedo or Jose is contradictory to that goal.

The only use they have in a deal with them is as makeweights. As irrelevant add-ons to make the numbers work.
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

I think Corey Maggette is a good example of a player who could be available for those expiring contracts.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

Hypnotiq wrote: View Post
                      I think keeping Sonny is very important to the developement of Demar and vice versa. They have the atheletic ability to push each other and if they could both develope some consistency it would be a thing of beauty in Toronto.
                      And a fine welcome to you too Hypnotiq.

I hear what your saying, but at the end of the day we need some instant presence in the back court along side either Jose or Jack. Both Weems and DeMar have had great individual performances this season, but its not consistent. We need consistency the most with this franchise or will just continue being mediocre.

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                        He can be a good asset to develop, too. I like his size and quickness, and if he develops a consisten 3-point shoot,
                        we can have a solid wing for years to come.
                        For a minute I thought you were talking about DeRozan.

As for the above post I honestly believe both of them can be consistent performers night in, night out, with the caveat that they are given time to develop. It just depends on how patient the Raptors will be with them. Or more specifically how patient Bosh will be.

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome Doc.

Couldnt these two develope over the summer to become consistent performers?
                          The Instant presence we need wont be beneficial for this season, so why not see how much these guys can develpoe over the summer and evaluate next year.

Comment

I don't think it would be a good idea to get that "instant fix" it may solve some issues in the short term, but in the long run these 'fixes' whatever they maybe never seem to work out...
                            Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                              Expiring contracts only have value to teams who are looking for improved cap flexibility.

Taking back a contract like Hedo or Jose is contradictory to that goal.

The only use they have in a deal with them is as makeweights. As irrelevant add-ons to make the numbers work.
                              I think that's a little short sighted. An expiring deal could be used in a trade to lessen the burden of taking on Hedo. The other team flips the Raptors the best player in the deal, plus an undesired contract in exchange for Hedo and an expiring deal. Makes sense to me, especially for a team looking to make a change and avoid paying luxury tax.

I don't think it would be a good idea to get that "instant fix" it may solve some issues in the short term, but in the long run these 'fixes' whatever they maybe never seem to work out...
                              The player salary amount between the salary cap and the luxury tax threshold is a luxury in itself. I think the Raptors would be making a mistake by letting those contracts expire without turning them into something.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Mon Mar 22, 2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X