Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Cavs move the first overall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance the Cavs move the first overall?

For the better part of the last 12 months, we have heard that the Cleveland Cavaliers were extremely motivated to end their post-Lebron playoff drought.

Proclaiming that they wanted to make the playoffs in 2014, they went out and threw money at Jarrett Jack and Andrew Bynum in free agency last summer. When that incarnation of the Cavalier roster fell flat on it's face, they traded future assets away for Luol Deng and Spencer Hawes throughout the winter in an attempt to get things back on track and secure one of the final playoff spots in a historically weak Eastern conference. Still, it was not good enough.

Fast foward to last night and Cleveland has once again fallen ass backwards into picking first overall in the NBA draft despite doing practically everything wrong for the past year and change. They signed the wrong guys in free agency (Jack has gone from a 6th man of the year type player to a horrible contract in the span of a year; Bynum was accused of 'sabotaging' their own practices, an NBA first as far as I know), they drafted the wrong guys (Bennett has serious work to do to absolve himself from 'worst first overall pick in history' discussion), signed the wrong coach, and the assets they spent on mid-season pick ups appear to be sunk costs as neither Hawes or Deng are expected to re-sign there, nor did they help them achieve any sort of tangible success.

The question I have now is whether the Cavaliers would consider moving the first overall pick in their quest to get back to the playoffs as soon as possible, and if they would, should the Raptors get in on the bidding and what type of package would it take to get a deal done?

No chance, not with the talent this draft provides. Cleveland would not do this.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
      No chance, not with the talent this draft provides. Cleveland would not do this.
      But you're assuming Cleveland is an intelligently run franchise, which they've debunked time and time again

If there's one team likely to screw themselves over, it's Cleveland. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them trade the pick.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        But you're assuming Cleveland is an intelligently run franchise, which they've debunked time and time again

If there's one team likely to screw themselves over, it's Cleveland. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them trade the pick.
        They fired the guy who made most of those poor decisions.

We'll see what happens though!

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          They fired the guy who made most of those poor decisions.

We'll see what happens though!
          True, but those decisions were still motivated by Dan Gilbert's push for quicker contention.

I still doubt they move the pick unless they are confident that getting Love brings LeBron back...but Gilbert is the wildcard in the situation.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

The last time the 1st overall pick was traded was over 20 years ago in the 1993 draft, and the trade was:

#1 pick (Chris Webber) for #3 pick, and 3 future 1st rounders.

Aside from that I couldn't find a draft where the 1st overall pick has been straight up traded to another team. Teams have traded it by accident before (Clippers traded it mid-season to Cleveland when they got Kyrie) though.

Basically we're not getting that pick. You guys should save yourself the trouble and stop fantasizing about it because it's not going to happen. I could see the pick being traded, but that would be for a superstar or maybe a trade with Philly/Milwaukee or one of the other teams with very high picks.

Comment

Meh...let them draft Wiggins. It will be that much easier to sign him when he's a FA if the guy pans out. The organization is breaking records for incompetence (4 first overall picks in how many years? And absolutely nothing to show for it) so I doubt Wiggins will want to stay there if they continue their loser streak and the Raps are still a threat.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                The last time the 1st overall pick was traded was over 20 years ago in the 1993 draft, and the trade was:

#1 pick (Chris Webber) for #3 pick, and 3 future 1st rounders.

Aside from that I couldn't find a draft where the 1st overall pick has been straight up traded to another team. Teams have traded it by accident before (Clippers traded it mid-season to Cleveland when they got Kyrie) though.

Basically we're not getting that pick. You guys should save yourself the trouble and stop fantasizing about it because it's not going to happen. I could see the pick being traded, but that would be for a superstar or maybe a trade with Philly/Milwaukee or one of the other teams with very high picks.

Can't really use history as an argument because there has also never been a team that has won the first overall pick in 3 out of 4 years. The Cavs have had terrible draft luck despite their fortunes. They have pressure from their owner to get into the playoffs. It's not so inconceivable in my opinion that they trade that pick for veteran talent despite how strong the draft is. Chances are slim but out of all the lottery teams the Cavs are probably the only team I can think of that might consider moving that pick for immediate help.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Can't really use history as an argument because there has also never been a team that has won the first overall pick in 3 out of 4 years. The Cavs have had terrible draft luck despite their fortunes. They have pressure from their owner to get into the playoffs. It's not so inconceivable in my opinion that they trade that pick for veteran talent despite how strong the draft is. Chances are slim but out of all the lottery teams the Cavs are probably the only team I can think of that might consider moving that pick for immediate help.
                  Actually you can use history, because it tells you the value that is typically placed on a #1 overall selection.

I'll relent that we MIGHT be able to get the #1 overall, but it would involve us trading more than makes sense for us. Probably starting with Jonas AND DeRozan.

Comment

Actually you can use history, because it tells you the value that is typically placed on a #1 overall selection.
                    Funny.

Why do you get so offended every time someone disagrees with you?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Funny.
                      I'm confused, I didn't get offended simply defended my statement.

Comment

They can totally move this pick because they are bunch of idiots. They can also do a Greg Oden/KD and pick Embiid with the bad back ahead of Wiggens or Parker and pay for it for years to come.

One thing for sure is that NBA is dying to make a Cinderella story for their Fav son Lebron ... The draft is almost becoming BS and it is all about getting Lebron ton of young talent, so he can go home and get the Cavs a title and also make NBA ton of money.

Now, can Raptors get the number one : ABSOLUTELY NOT . We do not have the asset or talent to get that pick.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                          They can totally move this pick because they are bunch of idiots. They can also do a Greg Oden/KD and pick Embiid with the bad back ahead of Wiggens or Parker and pay for it for years to come.

One thing for sure is that NBA is dying to make a Cinderella story for their Fav son Lebron ... The draft is almost becoming BS and it is all about getting Lebron ton of young talent, so he can go home and get the Cavs a title and also make NBA ton of money.

Now, can Raptors get the number one : ABSOLUTELY NOT . We do not have the asset or talent to get that pick.
                          The NBA draft is not rigged, calm down.

Why the hell would the NBA and the numerous business and accounting firms associated with the lottery give the number one pick to the cavs three out of four years. Listen to yourself man you sound like a tin hatter.

Comment

The NBA draft is not rigged, calm down.

Why the hell would the NBA and the numerous business and accounting firms associated with the lottery give the number one pick to the cavs three out of four years. Listen to yourself man you sound like a tin hatter.
                            The Lebron Story, their biggest star is just writing itself .... Come on man, Don't be so naive.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                              The Lebron Story, their biggest star is just writing itself .... Come on man, Don't be so naive.
                              I can literally create a narrative about almost any team winning the #1 overall pick. Stop being a conspiracy theorist. The risk involved in the league rigging the draft is much greater than the reward of the "buzz" they would create by making Cleveland a better team.

If these teams won the lottery:

Bucks - The league made a deal with the new owners to give them the #1 so they would buy the team
                              76ers - Restoring one of the historically great franchises

Magic - The Magic just lost Dwight recently and need a superstar to replace him

Jazz - K gonna be honest, couldn't think of one here.

Boston - Restoring one of the great franchises, replacing the big 3 with a superstar talent

Lakers - Same as Boston, finding a successor for Kobe and reviving major market.

Sacramento - After the team almost got moved to Seattle giving them a superstar to bring back great basketball in one of the best fan bases in the league when the team is good.

Charlotte - Rebranding to the Hornets, give them a superstar to kick-start the rebrand. (Although this pick would've gone to Detroit if it was #1. In which case, reviving the city of Detroit after it became bankrupt).

Denver - Lost Melo a few years back, giving them a replacement. Also basically had their franchise stripped down with the loss of their coach and GM, so there's that too.

Minnesota - Keeping Love in Minnesota to maintain parity.

Phoenix - Making a statement against tanking and rewarding a team that won 48 games with the #1 overall pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X