• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Transit Commission – it’s such a joke

TTC now stands for Take The Cab
    Toronto Transit Commission – it’s such a joke
    By Arthur Weinreb Monday, March 22, 2010

It just gets sillier and sillier. Last week, Toronto police pulled over a bus in the east end of the city after passengers called 911 to report the driver’s erratic driving. A breath test was administered to the operator and she blew between .05 and .08. Breathalyzer readings of that level are not high enough to constitute a criminal offence but are in the “warning” range and trigger provincial sanctions. The driver lost her license for three days.

The TTC refuses to release the driver’s name or to say what, if any, punishment will be doled out for drinking and then driving a bunch of passengers. They, and the union, are taking the position that this is a personnel matter and nobody else’s business. While this is technically correct since no criminal charge was or could be laid against the driver, it’s a clear indication that the rights of the drivers take precedence over the safety of the public. So, Torontonians who take public transit and worry about driving with someone who has had a couple may want to think twice before boarding a bus driven by a woman in her 40s..............

When everything is added up, public transit in Toronto is not only a joke but a bad one. Of course it’s the innocent passengers who are to blame. Drinking drivers are no one’s business. Sleeping transit workers should be left alone to sleep in peace. And apparently leaving a bus full of passengers in order lining up to buy a coffee is just part of the job.

Nothing will ever change until the current crop of councillors is replaced by adults. We need a mayor who will appoint someone to head the large transit system who has experience in public transit or at least experience in making complex business decisions rather than simply the ability to go down on their knees in front of the mayor.

It’s no wonder that people who can afford it will never ever give up their cars or their taxi rides in favour of using public transit. As councillor and possible mayoral candidate Rob Ford put it, the TTC now stands for Take The Cab.
    comp article on link

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/21241
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I used to try to take the bus before whenever possible instead of driving. Now with the ridiculous fare and everything else messed up with the system I avoid it all costs. Your right Budda-the TTC is a joke.

Comment

I actually drive to work even though I live downtown. I get free parking so why bother playing $3 fares. BTW, the fare for the transit system in France is a 1.25 Euro and they have a subway map that looks like this:

http://www.pixopark.com/pic/maps/paris_subway_map.jpg

And TTC has trouble operating two lines. These guys are a joke.

Comment

The subway shuts down at 1 o'clock in the morning! and the mayor dares to call this city a "world class city" where other world class cities have subway that runs 24 hours a day!

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          I actually drive to work even though I live downtown. I get free parking so why bother playing $3 fares. BTW, the fare for the transit system in France is a 1.25 Euro and they have a subway map that looks like this:

http://www.pixopark.com/pic/maps/paris_subway_map.jpg

And TTC has trouble operating two lines. These guys are a joke.
          Wow that's crazy. 1.25 Euro's? That works out to around 2 bucks Canadian I think. Maybe less. Good deal.

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          The subway shuts down at 1 o'clock in the morning! and the mayor dares to call this city a "world class city" where other world class cities have subway that runs 24 hours a day!
          Yeah, when I used to take TTC before that's one thing that always got me cheesed. If your downtown doin a little too much drinkin you got to leave early if you wanna safe ride home.

Comment

Working...
          X