View Poll Results: Can/ Should we try to get the #1 Pick?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • We have the assets and we should try to get the #1 Pick

6 16.22%
  • We have the assets but we SHOULD NOT try to get the #1 pick

6 16.22%
  • We don't have the assets to get the #1 pick

25 67.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    Don't even try.

Wait for Wiggins to develop and come here in 5 years or whatever it is, it's better that way, he's already developed and we don't have to suck or give up the core for the draft pick.

If they don't take Wiggins #1 pick does not matter as he is all that matters because when we talk about this pick.

And we can still get him as an FA.
    I agree. He's still years away from reaching his potential, anyway.

From an anonymous NBA GM.

"Don’t trust his shot or his ball skills. Can’t go left. There is no “fuck you” to him. Kobe’s like, “Fuck you, I’m better than you.” Where was that? I think he is a content player. That’s not Bill Self’s fault — he didn’t tell him not to shoot.

"He can be your third-best player, but not your best. Say he goes to Orlando. What’s he going to do as an offensive player? Shoot them to more wins? He has one of the best second/third jumps I’ve ever seen and he’ll have some “Fuck … look at that” moments. But that’s not his personality.

"He can be an elite defender. He can guard 1-3s.

"Wiggins has offensive holes in his game — no dribble, no pass, streaky shooter. His sex appeal is only his athleticism. I’m not saying he’s one of these athletes that comes into the league and doesn’t know how to play basketball, but he’s behind the other three guys on my board."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ry...id-and-parker/

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What if chuck Hayes learns the threepointfadawaydunk from the master himself Brian Scalabrine

ANYTHInG IS POSSIBLE
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

3. Like Scraptor liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post

"Don’t trust his shot or his ball skills. Can’t go left. There is no “fuck you” to him. Kobe’s like, “Fuck you, I’m better than you.” Where was that? I think he is a content player. That’s not Bill Self’s fault — he didn’t tell him not to shoot.

"He can be your third-best player, but not your best. Say he goes to Orlando. What’s he going to do as an offensive player? Shoot them to more wins? He has one of the best second/third jumps I’ve ever seen and he’ll have some “Fuck … look at that” moments. But that’s not his personality.

"Wiggins has offensive holes in his game — no dribble, no pass, streaky shooter. His sex appeal is only his athleticism. I’m not saying he’s one of these athletes that comes into the league and doesn’t know how to play basketball, but he’s behind the other three guys on my board."

I wonder if "an anonymous NBA GM" has any incentive to talk down Wiggins's value.

It's interesting to me how people are giving Wiggins the pointy-elbows treatment now that he's unattainable. I think Wiggins is going to come in and set the league on fire. Especially if he goes to Philly.

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I wonder if "an anonymous NBA GM" has any incentive to talk down Wiggins's value.

It's interesting to me how people are giving Wiggins the pointy-elbows treatment now that he's unattainable. I think Wiggins is going to come in and set the league on fire. Especially if he goes to Philly.
    Nah. I think the general consensus is that he's a top 5 pick with the athletic potential to be a super star, but he's not Anthony Davis or Lebron James or other freak athletes that also came into the league with solid basketball skills. He's maybe three to four years of hard work from being a dominant player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel bad for whichever GM picks Jabari over Wiggins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Feel bad for whichever GM picks Jabari over Wiggins.
    It will probably look great in the first year and terrible in 2-3
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post

Every GM other than the Cavs has incentive to say things like this. Personally I think that anyone who passes on him is going to regret it.

9. Like imanshumpert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What if the other GMs believe this guy and Wiggins falls to us?

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

11. Like Scraptor liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep the votes coming guys ... It is great to see that 70% of RR are in touch with reality.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Keep the votes coming guys ... It is great to see that 70% of RR are in touch with reality.
    Well in truth we DO have enough assets to get the number 1 pick.

However we wont have any left after the trade that we will be terrible with no ways to improve soooooo......bad idea.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    The anonymous votes are letting the true feelings show.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Its sample,

we don't have enough assets to get number 1 pick.

It's true, like we could thru KL, DD, TR and JV to trade LBJ on paper; but you think Heats will take it?
    In opposite, if Cavs get a "real" super star from this pick, it will be very easy for them to get good players thru FA, it mean they don't need our assets.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth is we are targeting the 2016 FA (KD and its pretty obvious from MLSE's maneuvers). Also, we have to remember, unless OKC win a championship this year(unlikely) or next year, they risk loosing KD for nothing and thus will try to trade him in 2015 summer rather than loosing him for nothing. A franchise like OKC cant afford to let a superstar like KD leave for nothing. At that point, we have to have our arsenal ready to scoop in. Which likely is a package of DD, another young player(s), 2016 NYpick and our picks for the foreseeable future plus expiring contracts. So the point here is.. if we give in all our current and future assets to acquire the #1 pick, we will be left with nothing to make that KD trade (potential rather). Of course it is all speculation, but it is a likely scenario that we need to be prepared to face.

So NOPE! we don't need the #1 pick. we will just let the Cavs fuck it up.

17. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
    The truth is we are targeting the 2016 FA (KD and its pretty obvious from MLSE's maneuvers). Also, we have to remember, unless OKC win a championship this year(unlikely) or next year, they risk loosing KD for nothing and thus will try to trade him in 2015 summer rather than loosing him for nothing. A franchise like OKC cant afford to let a superstar like KD leave for nothing. At that point, we have to have our arsenal ready to scoop in. Which likely is a package of DD, another young player(s), 2016 NYpick and our picks for the foreseeable future plus expiring contracts. So the point here is.. if we give in all our current and future assets to acquire the #1 pick, we will be left with nothing to make that KD trade (potential rather). Of course it is all speculation, but it is a likely scenario that we need to be prepared to face.

If Demar doesn't exercise his option he will expire at the same time as KD. And given that he has the all-star spot on his resume he won't want to keep getting paid sub-$10mm.

So our assets will be a bunch of 20th-ish picks (the Knicks pick is the lower of Denver/Knicks) and either Val or Ross on their first post-rookie contract.

You guys are nuts if you think we have a better shot at getting KD than getting the #1 from a desperate Cleveland front offense.

Our best shot at getting KD is to get Kevin Love or an equivalent player, go deep deep deep in the playoffs, and try to get KD in free agency.

Our second best shot at raising our ceiling is to acquire a top 3 draft pick in this draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post

OKC is Neeeeeeeever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, eveer,ever, ever,ever, EVEEEEER shopping KD. They have his best buddy/Point Destroyer/Energy Maniac at PG, and the somehow still improving Ibaka at PF. That's probably the best situation for Durant. And if KD says "i'm not happy here, I want an all-star C to create open looks or I wanna play with a new PG or I want an all-star 2 guard" every asset OKC has is disposable to get what Kevin wants.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    If Demar doesn't exercise his option he will expire at the same time as KD. And given that he has the all-star spot on his resume he won't want to keep getting paid sub-$10mm.

So our assets will be a bunch of 20th-ish picks (the Knicks pick is the lower of Denver/Knicks) and either Val or Ross on their first post-rookie contract.

You guys are nuts if you think we have a better shot at getting KD than getting the #1 from a desperate Cleveland front offense.

Our best shot at getting KD is to get Kevin Love or an equivalent player, go deep deep deep in the playoffs, and try to get KD in free agency.

Our second best shot at raising our ceiling is to acquire a top 3 draft pick in this draft.
    0.000000000000000001% vs. 0.0000000000000000001%

Both sound close to science fiction.

21. Like 007 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If DD's still here by 2016, I'm certain he'll exercise that option.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see a route to getting the #1 at this point, but it's very difficult:

1.) Trade Salmons/Hansbrough/Novak/Buycks to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, the #16 and the #19 - effectively charging Chicago two picks to take on Boozer's contract. This is moderately implausible since Chicago probably only wants to give up one pick as Boozer compensation, but on the other hand Utah charged Golden State two future first-rounders and three future second rounders to take on Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's salaries so it's not impossible, at least.

2.) Trade the #16, the #19, the #20, New York's 2016 and a future first-rounder (let's say 2017) and probably Terrence Ross to Cleveland for the #1.

Cleveland then adds a bunch of those assets, but not all of them, to their Kevin Love bid of Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/future picks - which splits the difference between "Cleveland doesn't want to give up their only draft pick this year for Love" and "Minnesota is only going to trade Kevin Love if they can jumpstart their rebuild immediately." Cleveland probably adds the #19, the #20 and the New York pick to their trade package, maybe our 2017 first-rounder as well. That's an ENORMOUS payout for Kevin Love, and Cleveland still retains the #16 pick for themselves and can get a decent complementary piece.

That's it. That's the only way I could see us getting the #1. If it was anybody other than Cleveland it would be impossible, but it's Cleveland, and they clearly want Kevin Love, so there is a shot.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post

1.) Trade Salmons/Hansbrough/Novak/Buycks to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, the #16 and the #19 - effectively charging Chicago two picks to take on Boozer's contract. This is moderately implausible since Chicago probably only wants to give up one pick as Boozer compensation, but on the other hand Utah charged Golden State two future first-rounders and three future second rounders to take on Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's salaries so it's not impossible, at least.

2.) Trade the #16, the #19, the #20, New York's 2016 and a future first-rounder (let's say 2017) and probably Terrence Ross to Cleveland for the #1.

Cleveland then adds a bunch of those assets, but not all of them, to their Kevin Love bid of Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/future picks - which splits the difference between "Cleveland doesn't want to give up their only draft pick this year for Love" and "Minnesota is only going to trade Kevin Love if they can jumpstart their rebuild immediately." Cleveland probably adds the #19, the #20 and the New York pick to their trade package, maybe our 2017 first-rounder as well. That's an ENORMOUS payout for Kevin Love, and Cleveland still retains the #16 pick for themselves and can get a decent complementary piece.

That's it. That's the only way I could see us getting the #1. If it was anybody other than Cleveland it would be impossible, but it's Cleveland, and they clearly want Kevin Love, so there is a shot.
    Why not just offer the number one pick and waiters Thompson and Bennett
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post

I don't think that really improves CLE's deal much. Now, if we are including DD as well as some of those picks, then the Wolves can be taking back a bunch of picks, a rookie scale from CLE (say, TT), as well as an all-star guard. And CLE gets Love, Raps can absorb some bad salary from the Wolves, and get the #1.

Thread Information