View Poll Results: Can/ Should we try to get the #1 Pick?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • We have the assets and we should try to get the #1 Pick

    6 16.22%
  • We have the assets but we SHOULD NOT try to get the #1 pick

    6 16.22%
  • We don't have the assets to get the #1 pick

    25 67.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Why not just offer the number one pick and waiters Thompson and Bennett
    Minnesota has been in the lottery for the last 10 years. Giving them a bunch of prospects and a pick is probably not going to excite them too much.

    I'm sure Minnesota and their ownership would prefer veterans/all-stars over prospects/picks.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Minnesota has been in the lottery for the last 10 years. Giving them a bunch of prospects and a pick is probably not going to excite them too much.

    I'm sure Minnesota and their ownership would prefer veterans/all-stars over prospects/picks.
    the number one pick is said to be a superstar so i dont see why not. If im minni i would do it kev love isnt gonna resign with them and noone is offering them allstars.
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    1,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    the number one pick is said to be a superstar so i dont see why not. If im minni i would do it kev love isnt gonna resign with them and noone is offering them allstars.
    I am!

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    I am!
    Derozan isn't pushing them into title contention. They are going all in for a rebuild. If we get love I'm pretty our picks will be late 1st round. Why would minni even look at that?
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Derozan isn't pushing them into title contention. They are going all in for a rebuild. If we get love I'm pretty our picks will be late 1st round. Why would minni even look at that?

    I don't believe that they are. 10 years without the playoffs for a small market team is rough. Would they really want to rebuild and be out of the playoffs for another 2-3 years?

    The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.
    If they don't think Love is going to stay, then a sign-and-trade makes no sense because they'll get less assets. You're basically suggesting that their gameplan is to make Bryan Colangelo's mistake with Chris Bosh, except worse.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't believe that they are. 10 years without the playoffs for a small market team is rough. Would they really want to rebuild and be out of the playoffs for another 2-3 years?

    The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.
    What trade takes them into the playoffs in the west...none

    Love is probably better than whatever return they can get for him so there is no way they can make the playoffs.
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Starter TrossTheBOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    imo we got the assets but i dont wanna trade our assets/core for an unproven player.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    If they don't think Love is going to stay, then a sign-and-trade makes no sense because they'll get less assets. You're basically suggesting that their gameplan is to make Bryan Colangelo's mistake with Chris Bosh, except worse.
    I'm not suggesting it is a smart strategy.. but probably one that Minnesota will consider. A disgruntled player is never good.. but the Wolves will have a better shot of making the playoffs with him than without him - especially if they only get draft picks and prospects for him.. and most teams might not be willing to clear their cupboards for a rental who's already admitted that he will test free agency no matter where he plays.

    And even if Love does depart they can get a TPE (which is nice considering it will be around $15M) or at that time a mix of veterans/picks/prospects anyway once they know the team he's ready to sign long term with.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    What trade takes them into the playoffs in the west...none

    Love is probably better than whatever return they can get for him so there is no way they can make the playoffs.
    Depends on the all-star. What if Atlanta was willing to give up Horford for him? DD was the all-star on a 48 win team. He's also in his prime. Gets a lot of flack on this board but Minnesota might think he'd be able to get them to the playoffs in the West considering the lack of quality shooting guards in the league.

    I think the smarter strategy is for them to bite the bullet and just suck for another 2-3 years.. but I'm just a fan that isn't making a dime if they fail or succeed. There has to be a lot of pressure from ownership to win.. and when that happens bad decisions get made.

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    1,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm not suggesting it is a smart strategy.. but probably one that Minnesota will consider. A disgruntled player is never good.. but the Wolves will have a better shot of making the playoffs with him than without him - especially if they only get draft picks and prospects for him.. and most teams might not be willing to clear their cupboards for a rental who's already admitted that he will test free agency no matter where he plays.

    And even if Love does depart they can get a TPE (which is nice considering it will be around $15M) or at that time a mix of veterans/picks/prospects anyway once they know the team he's ready to sign long term with.
    But there's no guarantee that a sign and trade even happens. If a team has cap space, why would they send assets? Remember, the new CBA eliminated all the reasons a player might hold out for a sign and trade, so it would come down to hoping that Love decides to go to a team over the cap, or pushes for a sign and trade out of loyalty to the team - which seems unlikely considering.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    But there's no guarantee that a sign and trade even happens. If a team has cap space, why would they send assets? Remember, the new CBA eliminated all the reasons a player might hold out for a sign and trade, so it would come down to hoping that Love decides to go to a team over the cap, or pushes for a sign and trade out of loyalty to the team - which seems unlikely considering.
    Even teams that can sign outright would typically agree to a S&T so that they don't have to renounce the rights to their free agents.. but you do have a point. There is a possibility that he can sign with another team without Minnesota seeing a dime. It's an interesting story this summer.. I hope for Minnesota fan's sake that they get a King's ransom for him and that they start a proper rebuild. But I'm not betting on that happening.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Depends on the all-star. What if Atlanta was willing to give up Horford for him? DD was the all-star on a 48 win team. He's also in his prime. Gets a lot of flack on this board but Minnesota might think he'd be able to get them to the playoffs in the West considering the lack of quality shooting guards in the league.

    I think the smarter strategy is for them to bite the bullet and just suck for another 2-3 years.. but I'm just a fan that isn't making a dime if they fail or succeed. There has to be a lot of pressure from ownership to win.. and when that happens bad decisions get made.
    if they cant win with love they cant win with derozan or horfard. Smartest thing to do is just get lots of prospects/pick
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    1,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Even teams that can sign outright would typically agree to a S&T so that they don't have to renounce the rights to their free agents.. but you do have a point. There is a possibility that he can sign with another team without Minnesota seeing a dime. It's an interesting story this summer.. I hope for Minnesota fan's sake that they get a King's ransom for him and that they start a proper rebuild. But I'm not betting on that happening.
    They would have to renounce the rights if they want to use cap room to absorb a player.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •