Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can or should Raptors make a push to acquire the #1 Pick this Year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Keep the votes coming guys ... It is great to see that 70% of RR are in touch with reality.
    The anonymous votes are letting the true feelings show.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Its sample,

we don't have enough assets to get number 1 pick.

It's true, like we could thru KL, DD, TR and JV to trade LBJ on paper; but you think Heats will take it?
      In opposite, if Cavs get a "real" super star from this pick, it will be very easy for them to get good players thru FA, it mean they don't need our assets.

Comment

The truth is we are targeting the 2016 FA (KD and its pretty obvious from MLSE's maneuvers). Also, we have to remember, unless OKC win a championship this year(unlikely) or next year, they risk loosing KD for nothing and thus will try to trade him in 2015 summer rather than loosing him for nothing. A franchise like OKC cant afford to let a superstar like KD leave for nothing. At that point, we have to have our arsenal ready to scoop in. Which likely is a package of DD, another young player(s), 2016 NYpick and our picks for the foreseeable future plus expiring contracts. So the point here is.. if we give in all our current and future assets to acquire the #1 pick, we will be left with nothing to make that KD trade (potential rather). Of course it is all speculation, but it is a likely scenario that we need to be prepared to face.

So NOPE! we don't need the #1 pick. we will just let the Cavs fuck it up.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
          The truth is we are targeting the 2016 FA (KD and its pretty obvious from MLSE's maneuvers). Also, we have to remember, unless OKC win a championship this year(unlikely) or next year, they risk loosing KD for nothing and thus will try to trade him in 2015 summer rather than loosing him for nothing. A franchise like OKC cant afford to let a superstar like KD leave for nothing. At that point, we have to have our arsenal ready to scoop in. Which likely is a package of DD, another young player(s), 2016 NYpick and our picks for the foreseeable future plus expiring contracts. So the point here is.. if we give in all our current and future assets to acquire the #1 pick, we will be left with nothing to make that KD trade (potential rather). Of course it is all speculation, but it is a likely scenario that we need to be prepared to face.

If Demar doesn't exercise his option he will expire at the same time as KD. And given that he has the all-star spot on his resume he won't want to keep getting paid sub-$10mm.

So our assets will be a bunch of 20th-ish picks (the Knicks pick is the lower of Denver/Knicks) and either Val or Ross on their first post-rookie contract.

You guys are nuts if you think we have a better shot at getting KD than getting the #1 from a desperate Cleveland front offense.

Our best shot at getting KD is to get Kevin Love or an equivalent player, go deep deep deep in the playoffs, and try to get KD in free agency.

Our second best shot at raising our ceiling is to acquire a top 3 draft pick in this draft.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post

OKC is Neeeeeeeever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, eveer,ever, ever,ever, EVEEEEER shopping KD. They have his best buddy/Point Destroyer/Energy Maniac at PG, and the somehow still improving Ibaka at PF. That's probably the best situation for Durant. And if KD says "i'm not happy here, I want an all-star C to create open looks or I wanna play with a new PG or I want an all-star 2 guard" every asset OKC has is disposable to get what Kevin wants.
            @Boymusic66

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              If Demar doesn't exercise his option he will expire at the same time as KD. And given that he has the all-star spot on his resume he won't want to keep getting paid sub-$10mm.

So our assets will be a bunch of 20th-ish picks (the Knicks pick is the lower of Denver/Knicks) and either Val or Ross on their first post-rookie contract.

You guys are nuts if you think we have a better shot at getting KD than getting the #1 from a desperate Cleveland front offense.

Our best shot at getting KD is to get Kevin Love or an equivalent player, go deep deep deep in the playoffs, and try to get KD in free agency.

Our second best shot at raising our ceiling is to acquire a top 3 draft pick in this draft.
              0.000000000000000001% vs. 0.0000000000000000001%

Both sound close to science fiction.

Comment

If DD's still here by 2016, I'm certain he'll exercise that option.

Comment

I can see a route to getting the #1 at this point, but it's very difficult:

1.) Trade Salmons/Hansbrough/Novak/Buycks to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, the #16 and the #19 - effectively charging Chicago two picks to take on Boozer's contract. This is moderately implausible since Chicago probably only wants to give up one pick as Boozer compensation, but on the other hand Utah charged Golden State two future first-rounders and three future second rounders to take on Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's salaries so it's not impossible, at least.

2.) Trade the #16, the #19, the #20, New York's 2016 and a future first-rounder (let's say 2017) and probably Terrence Ross to Cleveland for the #1.

Cleveland then adds a bunch of those assets, but not all of them, to their Kevin Love bid of Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/future picks - which splits the difference between "Cleveland doesn't want to give up their only draft pick this year for Love" and "Minnesota is only going to trade Kevin Love if they can jumpstart their rebuild immediately." Cleveland probably adds the #19, the #20 and the New York pick to their trade package, maybe our 2017 first-rounder as well. That's an ENORMOUS payout for Kevin Love, and Cleveland still retains the #16 pick for themselves and can get a decent complementary piece.

That's it. That's the only way I could see us getting the #1. If it was anybody other than Cleveland it would be impossible, but it's Cleveland, and they clearly want Kevin Love, so there is a shot.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

1.) Trade Salmons/Hansbrough/Novak/Buycks to Chicago for Carlos Boozer, the #16 and the #19 - effectively charging Chicago two picks to take on Boozer's contract. This is moderately implausible since Chicago probably only wants to give up one pick as Boozer compensation, but on the other hand Utah charged Golden State two future first-rounders and three future second rounders to take on Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's salaries so it's not impossible, at least.

2.) Trade the #16, the #19, the #20, New York's 2016 and a future first-rounder (let's say 2017) and probably Terrence Ross to Cleveland for the #1.

Cleveland then adds a bunch of those assets, but not all of them, to their Kevin Love bid of Waiters/Bennett/Thompson/future picks - which splits the difference between "Cleveland doesn't want to give up their only draft pick this year for Love" and "Minnesota is only going to trade Kevin Love if they can jumpstart their rebuild immediately." Cleveland probably adds the #19, the #20 and the New York pick to their trade package, maybe our 2017 first-rounder as well. That's an ENORMOUS payout for Kevin Love, and Cleveland still retains the #16 pick for themselves and can get a decent complementary piece.

That's it. That's the only way I could see us getting the #1. If it was anybody other than Cleveland it would be impossible, but it's Cleveland, and they clearly want Kevin Love, so there is a shot.
                    Why not just offer the number one pick and waiters Thompson and Bennett
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

I don't think that really improves CLE's deal much. Now, if we are including DD as well as some of those picks, then the Wolves can be taking back a bunch of picks, a rookie scale from CLE (say, TT), as well as an all-star guard. And CLE gets Love, Raps can absorb some bad salary from the Wolves, and get the #1.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                        Why not just offer the number one pick and waiters Thompson and Bennett
                        Minnesota has been in the lottery for the last 10 years. Giving them a bunch of prospects and a pick is probably not going to excite them too much.

I'm sure Minnesota and their ownership would prefer veterans/all-stars over prospects/picks.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Minnesota has been in the lottery for the last 10 years. Giving them a bunch of prospects and a pick is probably not going to excite them too much.

I'm sure Minnesota and their ownership would prefer veterans/all-stars over prospects/picks.
                          the number one pick is said to be a superstar so i dont see why not. If im minni i would do it kev love isnt gonna resign with them and noone is offering them allstars.

Comment

the number one pick is said to be a superstar so i dont see why not. If im minni i would do it kev love isnt gonna resign with them and noone is offering them allstars.
                            I am!
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              I am!
                              Derozan isn't pushing them into title contention. They are going all in for a rebuild. If we get love I'm pretty our picks will be late 1st round. Why would minni even look at that?

Comment

Derozan isn't pushing them into title contention. They are going all in for a rebuild. If we get love I'm pretty our picks will be late 1st round. Why would minni even look at that?

I don't believe that they are. 10 years without the playoffs for a small market team is rough. Would they really want to rebuild and be out of the playoffs for another 2-3 years?

The #1 pick may turn into a super-star but it won't happen overnight, and I think the Wolves will want overnight success. They are not in a very good situation over there. I wouldn't be surprised if they held on to Love to be honest, and they do a S&T next season when he does give up his player option.

Comment

Working...
                                X