Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Continuity = Asset Accumulation

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Continuity = Asset Accumulation

My post makes a few assumptions and takes a number of TL/MU statements at face value:

1) Masai is going to build with the core currently in place for another year or two: KL, DD, AJ, TR, JV, PP, GV;
    2) Lowry will be resigned as per TL comments;
    3) Masai intends to build through the draft.

All these threads going up on getting a lottery pick neglects the Raptors have to send away numerous assets. That goes 100% against everything the front office and top brass have been preaching. I believe Masai when he says the Raptors won't be stuck in no man's land. What the Raptors are currently doing, in my opinion, is accumulating assets.

I expect draft night to see the Raptors get another draft pick on draft night via trade. This year's draft is very deep. There are a number of talented players in the 2nd half of the 1st round (#15-30). To get anything #1-14, the Raptors are going to have to give up pieces of their core. Sending out 2 or 3 assets to return 1, and an unproven one at that, goes against the idea of asset accumulation.

The following are the types of trades I think make much more sense than #1 or #8 or anything in the lottery:

#16 - Chicago

Boozer, #16, #19 for Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #20

Bulls waive all 4 players and save about $16M off their cap and books.

#21 and/or #29 - OKC

Perkins, #21 and/or #29 for Salmons and (maybe) #20

#22 - Memphis*

Prince and #22 for Salmons

#25 - Houston*

Lin and/or Asik, #25 for Salmons and/or Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #37

#26 - Miami*

#26 for #37

#28 - LA Clippers*

Dudley and #28 for Gay TPE

#30 - San Antonio

Bahahahaha, the Spurs don't trade picks, silly!

* All sniffing luxury tax.

Personally, I would be ecstatic if the Raptors can pull off the above Bulls trade, the Clippers trade, and/or the Heat trade. Bring in 2 first round picks for next year and stash one/two more in Europe. It is all about ASSET ACCUMULATION. When the time is right, Masai has a cupboard full of assets to improve by trade and with a roster full of cheap rookie contract talent he also has the ability to improve with cap space deals (unbalanced trades or free agent signing).

In summary, ASSET ACCUMULATION is the name of the game right now. Any trade that sends out more assets than it brings in is a no-no. Patience.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually really like that Bulls trade though.

It makes a ton of sense too. I saw on RealGM's wiretap that the Bulls already told Taj Gibson he's going to start, so Boozer is definitely on the way out. We save the Bulls from having to waste their amnesty and still pay Boozer, and all it costs them is a mid-round pick and one spot in the draft.

I love it for us because then we don't have to decide on just one guy from the mid-round, we can grab two. Potentially a guy like LaVine if he falls and maybe one of these bigs like Stokes or even take a risk on a Kyle Anderson.

Plus we have freaking Boozer next season... Could give us that low post-scoring that a lot of guys here want. Probably wouldn't re-sign 2Pat though and 'Los would probably start over Amir.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Says the author of How to get Sacramento's 8th pick.

There is a thread in Everything Raptors on #1, #7, and #8. This thread is #15-30. I think it is relevant. If it isn't I have full confidence in the decision making and moderating abilities of the moderators/administrators, which you are not I might add, to move it over to the trade forum.
    Calm down man.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is upset?

I'm highlighting your hypocrisy in a very calm manner.
    Alright man I apologize for questioning the merits of you making this thread. I even deleted my post.

Moving on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Alright man I apologize for questioning the merits of you making this thread. I even deleted my post.

Moving on...
    Thank you.
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very much in line with Houston's thinking and how they were able to capitalize and get Harden via trade. Get as many assets as possible while giving up as few as possible, so when the time comes and a star is available, YOU can be the team to get him by trade before he even hits free agency.

Worst case we get marginally better each year and stay in the 45-55 win/2nd round exit zone.

Best case we swing a deal in a few years using several assets to acquire a major prize.

I prefer this a lot to panic moves like swapping Lowry for Nash and a pick or shipping out DeRozan for a mid-lottery pick.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it, + boozer is an expiring too, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love love love the Boozer trade!

Some dead weight to move up slightly in the draft, get another mid first round and have to carry the Booze's salary for one year?

Sure!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

9. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    I like it, + boozer is an expiring too, right?

Yeah he is

Post Thanks / Like

If Bulls were really looking to maximize cap space, Raps could replace #20 with #37 and #59.

Would give Raps #16, #19, and #20.

Schwiiiiiiing!
    Tim Leiweke

12. Like FoxMachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bulls were really looking to maximize cap space, Raps could replace #20 with #37 and #59.

Schwiiiiiiing!
    That would be fucking sweet

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know if the Bulls would do it but I say pull the trigger, we are fleecing them. Imagine, our scrubs for Booz + Picks, sounds awesome.

At No16 if Tyler Ennis fall, we should grab him
    At No19 we grab our guy Kyle Anderson or TJ Warren

Our Lineups Next Year
    Lowry, Ennis,
    DeRozan, Vazquez, Fields
    Ross, Anderson or Warren, Novak
    Booz, Amir, Hayes
    Val, Backup Center (37th pick or 59th pick)

Post Thanks / Like

McHappy? Wow, I've been away for awhile.

Anyways, I'm really intrigued by that Houston deal:

#25 - Houston*

I think Asik is a guy we want and need to back JV, especially when JV makes his young mistakes. Asik is as good a defensive centre there is in the league; protects the rim, athletic, rebounds well, bang with bigger bodies, etc. However, like Hayes, at times he will be an offensive liability. Hayes was actually a solid passer, and could make those standing floaters over top.

That creates:

Lowry/Vasquez
    DeRozan
    Ross/Glenn Robinson III or Kyle Anderson*
    Johnson/Patterson/Adreian Payne*
    Valanciunas/Asik

Schwiiiiiiing!
    I'm not sure I like the idea of three rookies again. The team would get even younger, and even less experienced. Two at most in my opinion, because these first-rounders are going to warrant development.

I'd like to see a good mix of a young player(s), along with veterans like a Vince Carter (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Dont know if the Bulls would do it but I say pull the trigger, we are fleecing them. Imagine, our scrubs for Booz + Picks, sounds awesome.

At No16 if Tyler Ennis fall, we should grab him
    At No19 we grab our guy Kyle Anderson or TJ Warren

Our Lineups Next Year
    Lowry, Ennis,
    DeRozan, Vazquez, Fields
    Ross, Anderson or Warren, Novak
    Booz, Amir, Hayes
    Val, Backup Center (37th pick or 59th pick)
    Isn't that what Ujiri did in Denver? He kept acquiring young players and filled the team with them.

But by the way, with that squad will we still be able to sign Vince?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Isn't that what Ujiri did in Denver? He kept acquiring young players and filled the team with them.

But by the way, with that squad will we still be able to sign Vince?

Pretty sure we can go over the cap with him, as long as he's a minimum.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    Pretty sure we can go over the cap with him, as long as he's a minimum.
    What about the rotation?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see if we could package (IF) that 16th, 19th, and 20th in order to get into the top 10. Maybe Philly, because they've got that 10th pick, or even Sacramento, Charlotte.

To Philly: 16th, 19th, 20th 1st-round picks.
    To Toronto: 10th, 32nd picks.

What ya'll thinking?

Philly will have their shot at either Embiid, Parker, or Wiggins, then the ability to draft three others in the first-round, late, but still, with how deep this draft is, they'd be very lucky to select a possible starting line-up.

PG: Carter-Williams
    SG: 1st-rounder
    SF: Wiggins or Parker for #1?
    PF: Noel/1st-rounder
    C: Embiid for #1? or 1st-rounder

Lots of possibilities for Philly. However, if Parker and Wiggins are taken, it'd be tough to pass on Embiid, regardless of already having Nerlens Noel who I think will be awesome.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sat May 24th, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Mat...errr...mcHappy52

I love the Chicago trade. There are enough pieces that we have that could help them contend next season with the return of Rose, we could offer them a bit more than Stone and Buycks too, with one Steve "Super" Novak, who would look great on a team with Noah and Rose.

Boozer+16+19 for TH+Novak+Salmons+20 I think is a better deal for Chicago as they get 2 serviceable players instead of 1. We wont miss Novak either.

21. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My post makes a few assumptions and takes a number of TL/MU statements at face value:

1) Masai is going to build with the core currently in place for another year or two: KL, DD, AJ, TR, JV, PP, GV;
    2) Lowry will be resigned as per TL comments;
    3) Masai intends to build through the draft.

All these threads going up on getting a lottery pick neglects the Raptors have to send away numerous assets. That goes 100% against everything the front office and top brass have been preaching. I believe Masai when he says the Raptors won't be stuck in no man's land. What the Raptors are currently doing, in my opinion, is accumulating assets.

I expect draft night to see the Raptors get another draft pick on draft night via trade. This year's draft is very deep. There are a number of talented players in the 2nd half of the 1st round (#15-30). To get anything #1-14, the Raptors are going to have to give up pieces of their core. Sending out 2 or 3 assets to return 1, and an unproven one at that, goes against the idea of asset accumulation.

The following are the types of trades I think make much more sense than #1 or #8 or anything in the lottery:

#16 - Chicago

Boozer, #16, #19 for Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, Stone, #20

Bulls waive all 4 players and save about $16M off their cap and books.

#21 and/or #29 - OKC

Perkins, #21 and/or #29 for Salmons and (maybe) #20

#22 - Memphis*

Prince and #22 for Salmons

#25 - Houston*

#26 - Miami*

#26 for #37

#28 - LA Clippers*

Dudley and #28 for Gay TPE

#30 - San Antonio

Bahahahaha, the Spurs don't trade picks, silly!

* All sniffing luxury tax.

Personally, I would be ecstatic if the Raptors can pull off the above Bulls trade, the Clippers trade, and/or the Heat trade. Bring in 2 first round picks for next year and stash one/two more in Europe. It is all about ASSET ACCUMULATION. When the time is right, Masai has a cupboard full of assets to improve by trade and with a roster full of cheap rookie contract talent he also has the ability to improve with cap space deals (unbalanced trades or free agent signing).

In summary, ASSET ACCUMULATION is the name of the game right now. Any trade that sends out more assets than it brings in is a no-no. Patience.
    Not a big fan of the Boozer trade. Just really don't want anything to do with him.

The team I'd look into is OKC. Yeah, Perkins is much more useless than Boozer, but IMO, that makes the rotation easier to keep clear. Amir and 2Pat keep platooning the PF spot, while Perkins and Hayes back up JV at C. Clear roles and no likelihood that Casey starts overplaying his vets to the detriment of youth (with Boozer, I can see that as a risk).

For OKC, I also think you may not need to trade #20. They are hovering pretty high in terms of salary cap for a team that doesn't want to pay tax. Salmons for Perkins helps big time with that, and if they still want a draft asset, I say go after #29 by flipping #37. I can see them not wanting to add 2 1st round picks because of guaranteed money, but an early 2nd rounder helps with that as they can still target a prospect who will come cheaper for them.

Not sure I like the Memphis option. Prince is pretty close to the end, although I suppose he fills a bigger need than Salmons. I wouldn't be upset if it happens, preferring him to either deals involving Chicago or Houston where I don't like the players coming back and how they can muddle rotations.

Then I see Houston as a possibility, but want nothing to do with Lin or Asik. Lin because of who he is as a player. Asik because if he was unhappy backing up Howard, why would he be ok with backing up a younger C in JV? Don't want to mess with chemistry. But it does make sense in terms of helping them clear money off the books.

Don't know why Miami would care too much about the luxury tax, but I suppose the deal is possible.

Clippers are another interesting target. They may not care that much about the luxury tax, but still might want to avoid adding a rookie contract as well as clearing Dudley off since he's been a disappointment for them. And in contender mode, probably don't care about adding a draft pick this year.

I'd also add the following teams because of them having multiple picks as possible partners...Utah (23), Charlotte (24), PHX (27)....Though it's hard to think of what kind of trade would work with each since they have no financial issues and are in fairly flexible positions. But they could be wild cards who may look for trades. Though for Utah I can't imagine why they'd trade it.

It's hard to believe Phoenix will use all their picks and they could be very active this offseason. Maybe they'd move Frye for Salmons to shave money off their books if they plan on going free agent hunting? Maybe they just want to move down from 27 so that they don't have to take on 3 1st round scaled deals?

Charlotte may not want to add 2 1st round picks either as they try to build on a playoff season. But what would they want for #24? They may need PF insurance (McRoberts could walk), but does Hansbrough really fit what they're doing? Maybe Tyler + #37 for Haywood + #24? Is that deal worth it for Charlotte?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How about lack of action ? Is that a No-No as well ?
    How about letting Novak and Hayes contracts just expire and not doing anything with fields or Salmon's expiring ?

With the current Core : DD, KL,TR,AJ,PP,JV,GV and a 20th pick from this draft, we are destine to be STUCK in the middle. Now, that is OK and COMPLETELY acceptable if we are in the "ASSET ACCUMULATION" mode ...

"ASSET ACCUMULATION" should have STARTED from last Feb and before the TRADE DEADLINE. That was a lost opportunity.
    Now, this draft is a great opportunity for MU to show us his magic and start the "ASSET ACCUMULATION".

Question is: if we don't make any moves in this draft in terms of "ASSET ACCUMULATION" , would that be considered a failure on parts of this management and MU ?

Thread Information