"Sell High"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    That's because in his rookie year he was scoring most of his points in off-ball situations tbh.

I agree though, DeMar is really conservative with the dunk. Only uses it when he gets really hyped or if he's wide open. I guess it's a way to minimize injury risk though.

I really don't think it's due to a lack of quickness. There are tons of times where he gets all the way to the rim and just lays it in when he was high enough to dunk.
    Even from 2012-13 to 2013-14, dunk % dropped from 4.5% to 2.8%, which is a notable drop in attempts.

His attempts from 0-3 ft range have dropped from 45% as a rookie to 30% to 25% to 20% to 15% this year. When we talk about Demar falling in love with his jumper, this is what we mean. I do think he lacks a quick first step, which is why he tends to settle, unless he has a mismatch he can take advantage of. By way of comparison, Kobe's 0-3 ft % never dropped below 20% until he was 32 and was steadily relying on his mid-range.

Working on his post game will help Demar with taking advantage of smaller defenders, but I think the lack of a quick first step is a permanent flaw that really can't be corrected, and is why Demar is near his ceiling now.

Comment

I think that at this point, the most significant use of his athleticism is the vertical he gets on his mid-range jumper. It turns a lot of potentially contested shots into essentially wide open looks.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I still don't see the logic in shipping DeMar out unless it's a move that clearly and definitively improves the team. Makes no sense to do it just because his value is high.

I'm not talking about lateral moves either. IMO the only trades that make sense for DeMar right now are as part of a package for a superstar or for a top 5 pick if Masai thinks we need to go for a rebuild.

Any other trade doesn't move the damn needle and is pointless

Comment

Jio

About a month ago you said that you would be surprised if the Magic did not make a trade on draft day to clear up some of the duplicate players. Do you still feel that way? Who are they more likely to trade?

Steve Kyler

I do… they have guys like Jameer Nelson, Arron Affalo and Mo Harkless that all could be somewhere else after the draft. I wouldn’t classify it is they have to trade, but they are open for business for sure.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ch...ve-kyler-6214/
          Maurice Harkless is a guy I'd love to see on the Raptors. Just turned 21, 6'9", a SF on a rookie deal. I don't think he is going to be a star but he could be very valuable on the defensive side of the ball. On offense if he could add a consistent 3pt shot.

He started 59 of 76 games in rookie year. This season he started 41 of 80.

I really like Kyle O'Quinn too - as a back up C.

I really don't know what DD's value would be. But if the Raptors could get Jameer Nelson (possibly waived), Harkless, O'Quinn, and #12 for DD, I would do that. Orlando could look at a wing duo of Afflalo and DD with both capable scorers and Afflalo going back to his efficient self playing off the ball and playing solid D.

EDIT:

Poop.

I forgot about Oladipo and the strong possibility that Smart or, more likely, Exum are drafted.

Make it a 3 team trade with Golden State?

Lee and DD going to Orlando.

Nelson, 'Bro, Novak, #20 going to GS.

#12, Afflalo, Harkless, O'Quinn going to Raps?
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jun 2, 2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Maurice Harkless is a guy I'd love to see on the Raptors. Just turned 21, 6'9", a SF on a rookie deal. I don't think he is going to be a star but he could be very valuable on the defensive side of the ball. On offense if he could add a consistent 3pt shot.

He started 59 of 76 games in rookie year. This season he started 41 of 80.

I really like Kyle O'Quinn too - as a back up C.

I really don't know what DD's value would be. But if the Raptors could get Jameer Nelson (possibly waived), Harkless, O'Quinn, and #12 for DD, I would do that. Orlando could look at a wing duo of Afflalo and DD with both capable scorers and Afflalo going back to his efficient self playing off the ball and playing solid D.

EDIT:

Poop.

I forgot about Oladipo and the strong possibility that Smart or, more likely, Exum are drafted.

Make it a 3 team trade with Golden State?

Lee and DD going to Orlando.

Nelson, 'Bro, Novak, #20 going to GS.

#12, Afflalo, Harkless, O'Quinn going to Raps?
            Not a fan of that trade at all. This is really just a lateral move.

Comment

Not a fan of that trade at all. This is really just a lateral move.
              Depends what happens with Harkless and #12.

A lot of potential there.

But reality is Raps and Magic unlikely trading partners.

Still would love Harkless.

Comment

I still don't see the logic in shipping DeMar out unless it's a move that clearly and definitively improves the team. Makes no sense to do it just because his value is high.

I'm not talking about lateral moves either. IMO the only trades that make sense for DeMar right now are as part of a package for a superstar or for a top 5 pick if Masai thinks we need to go for a rebuild.

Any other trade doesn't move the damn needle and is pointless

"Reply With Quote" is working again!!!

Although it seems like we are in disagreement, we do agree on the 1st bold, although, I'm a little more flexible about the 2nd bold. For instance, I'd be fine with a top 10 pick, plus a young player on a rookie deal. OR multiple draft picks.

As for the third bold, I agree, making a move to make a move, that doesn't move the needle is pointless. However, a move that may seem like it doesn't move the needle could potentially make a big difference.

Here's a hypothetical to explain the thinking. Let's say that we trade Demar for another player that has the same talent level/potential/ceiling. That's a trade that doesn't move the needle right? Except that if the second player is younger and has more years on the rookie scale, and a different skill set, it could turn out to make a substantial difference. First, if the younger players skillset fits better with the other players on the floor then the output in general will be better (more wins, possible deeper playoffs). However, that savings in cap space may allow you to get more talented at another position (aka being able to afford Patrick Patterson off the bench instead of Tyler Hansborough).

In terms of overall talent, the Raptors decreased with the Gay trade. And I'm not sure how many of us expected to play as well as we did following the trade. However, they removed a player whose skill set was duplicated, and increased the talent at other positions.

A good counter-example, depending on how much you think the departure of Granger affected the Pacer's chemistry, would be the Granger-Evans trade. It seemed like a low risk move that wouldn't move the needle. Trade a player with duplicate skill set who wasn't playing very much (Granger/George), for a younger player that addresses a need (Evans and bench scoring). It's hard to say how much of the Pacer's implosion was due to Danny's departure, and it's not like he moved the needle much for the Clippers, but still, a move that doesn't seem like it moves the needle talent was, can make a big difference (both positive and negative).
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                X