Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do you think about Landry Fields next season?

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    You want an offensive black hole on the floor for 15 minutes a game?

Until Fields can shoot again, he needs to be brought on simply to cover someone who is dominating, or will dominate.
    I don't think he is an offensive "black hole" I think that descriptor really only fits players how have or both of the following traits...

1) Someone who is a serial over dribbler, especially in one spot.

2) Someone how shoots everytime they touch the ball.

Fields isn't either of those guys. And again, being able to shot is only one of several skills needed for a good offense. Fields has those other skills. The main offensive knock against Fields is that guys can sag off of him which ruins the spacing of the offense. But Fields has skills that counteract that to a degree.

i) Moves well on offense. Yes poor spacing can cripple an offense, but BALL-WATCHING can be just as bad. Fields isn't a ball watcher, he moves well on the offensive end and keeps in motion. It's one thing to tell your players to ignore a player, and it's easy to do when they just stand around in one spot (like our whole team seemed to do last year in Nov. & Dec.). It's a lot harder to completely ignore a player that's in motion. Even if you know he's not a threat to shoot from anywhere outside the restricted area, doesn't mean he can't be a distraction for the defense, that other players can take advantage of.

ii) Good screener. The more you sag off Landry Fields, the more open the guy Landry screens for is going to be.

Again, shooting is terrible and willl probably remain that way, so he shouldn't shoot outside the restricted area. But I do think that he can be a net neutral offensive player, or have only a slightly negative impact on offense. I also think that he's defense makes up enough of that gap that it's worth given him consistent burn. UNLESS and until there are younger players to be developed. For instance if the raps draft a SF than the Rookie can get 10-20 minutes and Fields can get 10-15. But if no Rookie is picked (or is stashed in D-Leauge/overseas) Fields can be productive for up to 20 minutes a game. IMO.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

2. Like CalgaryRapsFan, DanH, Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My memory tells me that every time Fields was on the floor this year he contributed, and at a higher level, than Salmons. His defense was superior, his rebounding, his passing, everything but his shooting. So what do the numbers look like?

Salmons - 5.2 pts.....36.3% FG%......REB 2.1.........Ast 1.9.....TOV 0.7 minutes 22.3
    Fields__ - 2.3 pts......40.3% FG%......REB 2.0........Ast 0.7.....TOV 0.4 minutes 10.7

Well, ball don't lie I guess. Fewer points per minute, but better FG% (WTF, for a guy with zero shot). Twice as many rebounds per minute, slightly lower assist rate and slightly higher turnovers. I wonder how his assists and scoring would have fared with more than 30 second burns during Ft attempts or end of quarter scenarios.

The eye test says he was better defensively on his man than Salmons, and my recollection is that whenever he got minutes he produced. If his shot gets even a little bit better I would be happy to seem him get more playing time.

4. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    My memory tells me that every time Fields was on the floor this year he contributed, and at a higher level, than Salmons. His defense was superior, his rebounding, his passing, everything but his shooting. So what do the numbers look like?

Salmons - 5.2 pts.....36.3% FG%......REB 2.1.........Ast 1.9.....TOV 0.7 minutes 22.3
    Fields__ - 2.3 pts......40.3% FG%......REB 2.0........Ast 0.7.....TOV 0.4 minutes 10.7

Well, ball don't lie I guess. Fewer points per minute, but better FG% (WTF, for a guy with zero shot). Twice as many rebounds per minute, slightly lower assist rate and slightly higher turnovers. I wonder how his assists and scoring would have fared with more than 30 second burns during Ft attempts or end of quarter scenarios.

The eye test says he was better defensively on his man than Salmons, and my recollection is that whenever he got minutes he produced. If his shot gets even a little bit better I would be happy to seem him get more playing time.
    I don't know what's worse...fields having similar numbers to salmons though playing less or that salmons actually played 22 minutes each game. Like wtf Casey
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that two guys who can't shoot got 33 minutes per game combined makes me even sicker. Get us some wings this off-season Masai!
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

FG% is kinda deceptive for salmons because his 3P% is actually better than his FG%. but yeah, he was pretty crappy and way overpaid, but so's Fields.

I think Casey liked Salmons because he could trust him with certain things. certain veteran things lol. like, it can make it really hard for a team to play with a guy who's really good at some aspects and completely erratic in others, it can make it hard to focus and get in the groove.

i'm just hoping we have a better option than either of those two guys next year. they both suck

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only value Fields has to the team is an expiring $6.25M salary (on payroll) and $8.5M in reality. He will not be traded. Expiring contracts are only worth value when other teams are trying to shed their bloated salary to get under the cap quicker. So if you want to exchange Fields for another crappy player than sure but I don't see MU doing that - even if draft picks were returned.

Plus the 'bad contract' has almost disappeared in the new CBA. Most contract are for only 4 years, and players up for trade possibly at their 3 year mark. The 5 year contracts are typically designated as the star player on that team.. and if a team is willing to give that guy up for a player like Fields than you know that player sucks.

With Casey's contract renewed I just don't see how Fields gets playing time. What would be different this year as compared to last year? His shot will probably still be broken. He can still play defense but he's not really a veteran so someone else will get more minutes.

He will be BC's last mistake that MU will need to correct.. I just see him expiring though by the end of next year.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys see a show called Sing Your Face Off? It was on last night. There was nothing else on so I tried watching it.... because the host mentioned Landry Fields.

So the part I was able to watch was Landry Fields impersonating Enrique Iglesius and doing his own rendition of "Hero". It was seriously some funny shiet.
    your pal,
    ebrian

10. Like TrossTheBOSS liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a vid of that?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have video I've made of it, but a quick google yielded a number of results:

Landry becomes Lionel Ritchie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hxakJfjzA

As Nicki Minaj:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31e59_6KOn8

As Pitbull:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScdP1Oeqt4

As Enrique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXuEwWxG9g

I know you guys were complaining about how he should spending his off time more wisely.. but watching this, well at least I understand how he got his hot wife.. dude is hilarious and willing to make a complete fool of himself on national television.

Chicks dig that kind of stuff.
    your pal,
    ebrian

13. Like TrossTheBOSS, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And I'm sure being 6'8 220 lb has nothing to do with it if you know what I mean

He's been doing impersonations on that show for the entire offseason ahhahahha
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha this was good
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

16. Like TrossTheBOSS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuck Landry, go work on your shot lol
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic Starter TrossTheBOSS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The show was shot in 2013 off season, but i hope hes in a gym right now working on ball.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems he'll only be good for halftime entertainment next season.

20. Like ebrian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's a better Nicki Minaj impersonator than a basketball player at this point.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information