Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Atlanta:
    Paul Millsap - 2015 Free Agency

Cleveland:
    Kyrie Irving - 2015 Free Agency or via trade prior, Cavs not willing to give max atm.

Memphis:
    Marc Gasol - 2015 Free Agency, especially if they have another mediocre season

Minnesota:
    Kevin Love - Via trade in 2014 or 2015 free agency (looks like Boston's getting him though)

Oklahoma City:
    Kevin Durant - 2016 Free Agency a.k.a "The Dream"

Portland:
    LaMarcus Aldridge - 2015 Free Agency, especially if Portland takes a step back next season.

Not really a very long or exciting list tbh

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only possible canidates I think are Millsap and KD

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be super excited about Millsap and Aldridge.

Aldridge likely makes DD completely disposable, which gives us the ability to acquire some other asset there (like a defender).

Post Thanks / Like

I would like Millsap.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Aldridge & Millsap...haha that Toronto's "could have, should have" 2006 draft...instead we got Bargnani & PJ Tucker...better late than never I supposed...obviously KD should be the target...which has a chance if we continue to develop and show signs of being a true contender...and if he decides to leave OKC....and if the fact that we were his fav childhood team growing up still counts for anything...then maybe we have a shooters half court shot chance to land him.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Atlanta:
    Paul Millsap - 2015 Free Agency

Cleveland:
    Kyrie Irving - 2015 Free Agency or via trade prior, Cavs not willing to give max atm.

Memphis:
    Marc Gasol - 2015 Free Agency, especially if they have another mediocre season

Minnesota:
    Kevin Love - Via trade in 2014 or 2015 free agency (looks like Boston's getting him though)

Oklahoma City:
    Kevin Durant - 2016 Free Agency a.k.a "The Dream"

Portland:
    LaMarcus Aldridge - 2015 Free Agency, especially if Portland takes a step back next season.

Not really a very long or exciting list tbh
    Al Horford - 2016 free agent

Nicolas Batum - 2016 free agent

7. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Al Horford - 2016 free agent

Nicolas Batum - 2016 free agent
    Forgot Horford. Batum isn't a star.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot Horford. Batum isn't a star.
    Batum's close enough, especially if you're able to sign both he and Horford in the same year.

*I see Batum as an Iguodala type star. He gets you points, rebounds, assists, all while playing solid D which he can do at multiple positions.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jun 3rd, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    I would like Millsap.
    As much as I like Millsap (he's awesome) I don't see him as a true star or potential top-15 player. And it'd be something like 30-35 million to 3 non-top 15 players in Lowry-DD-Millsap.
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    As much as I like Millsap (he's awesome) I don't see him as a true star or potential top-15 player. And it'd be something like 30-35 million to 3 non-top 15 players in Lowry-DD-Millsap.
    I'm fine with that, I think it's a valid team building strategy.

You've just got to construct the roster so that you get the most out of each of them and let them play to their strengths. Don't ask them to be everything men like true superstars.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Currently, the most pressing need is a 1st tier SUPERSTAR, and only Durant fits that status amongst these potential free agents. Some might say Love qualifies, but I see Love as more of the NBA's most talented complementary piece (not a shot against him, he's just not a guy you build around).

Durant, Durant and Durant.

We could always still go the Spur's route and take baby steps to sustain long-term success, so in saying that, if we can't get Luol Deng (nearly impossible) we should atleast tender Danny Granger an offer since he's a consumate professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Demarcus Cousins could also get traded too if the Sacramento Queens continue to suck ass

Rondo is another guy we could get but we already have Kyle Freakin' Lowry
    #BringBackUzoh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    Demarcus Cousins could also get traded too if the Sacramento Queens continue to suck ass

Rondo is another guy we could get but we already have Kyle Freakin' Lowry
    God...No Cousins. He could "get it" one day, but I don't want to be the team rolling the dice to figure that out.

My favorite option after the unlikely scenario of Durant is to go after a PF upgrade and aim for Batum in 2016. Possibly get both Horford and Batum in 2016. Save up the space to go after Durant, and if you fail, with the money you'd pay him you can probably get both those guys.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    God...No Cousins. He could "get it" one day, but I don't want to be the team rolling the dice to figure that out.

My favorite option after the unlikely scenario of Durant is to go after a PF upgrade and aim for Batum in 2016. Possibly get both Horford and Batum in 2016. Save up the space to go after Durant, and if you fail, with the money you'd pay him you can probably get both those guys.
    I think Horford and Batum make us competitive, but not championship material. In today's NBA, to beat the Heat you need an offensive system with numerous stars and preferably atleast one SUPERSTAR. In addition to this you need a basic defensive system based on quick rotations which require young athletic players with high basketball IQ to do so.

In saying that I think both Batum and Horford both make us a better team, but not a champion. I think the Heat will stay together for a while longer, possibly 4 more years after this year, and as a Toronto fan I'd rather them win a championship by beating the best anyways. I would hate if Toronto became champions without having to go through the best.

If the Heat are the barometer to measure against, then we need that SUPERSTAR, at the very least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stevo wrote: View Post
    I think Horford and Batum make us competitive, but not championship material. In today's NBA, to beat the Heat you need an offensive system with numerous stars and preferably atleast one SUPERSTAR. In addition to this you need a basic defensive system based on quick rotations which require young athletic players with high basketball IQ to do so.

In saying that I think both Batum and Horford both make us a better team, but not a champion. I think the Heat will stay together for a while longer, possibly 4 more years after this year, and as a Toronto fan I'd rather them win a championship by beating the best anyways. I would hate if Toronto became champions without having to go through the best.

If the Heat are the barometer to measure against, then we need that SUPERSTAR, at the very least.
    Yes, but SUPERSTARs do not grow on trees. You could argue neither San Antonio nor Indiana really have one at this point. Spurs did with Duncan, but in terms of production he's not even remotely close to what he used to be. And Parker is like George, kind of a borderline superstar who fits more into that 2nd tier of stars.

Horford and Batum could make us a contender, assuming Jonas takes steps we hope he will. Could possibly keep DeMar or move Ross into the starting 5. If we keep both, that's a very very solid core to build with that includes lots of complementary skills. I could see it contending and having an outside shot at a championship.

Lots rides on the PG spot, as Lowry's long-term outlook is definitely cloudy given his "all-out" style of play. That's why I'm hoping a guy like Ennis or possibly Payton falls to us. Think we need a long-term option in the form of a young guy who will be blossoming with Jonas.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, if the Heat are the barometer, we need to execute the only strategy that has won titles since they lost to Dallas- have Lebron James.

Seriously, all the teams that have given them fits in the playoffs- Spurs, Pacers, Celtics really only qualify here- Had great systems without really having a top-15 player, really good defenses, and good-to-great coaching. Those systems all countered the Heat system relatively well. They just couldn't scheme to compensate for the glaring lack of Lebron James.

Interestingly, the Heat haven't had trouble with any team that has a top-15 player. Bulls with Rose- 5 games. Melo in NY- 5 games. Thunder- 5 games.
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

It's a little ridiculous to say we need to get a superstar. Obviously it would be nice, but every other team is desperately trying to get one too.

All we can do is get the best players we can and give the Raptors a reasonable shot at making the Finals. Then cheer for the best.

19. Like JawsGT, imanshumpert liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    It's a little ridiculous to say we need to get a superstar. Obviously it would be nice, but every other team is desperately trying to get one too.

All we can do is get the best players we can and give the Raptors a reasonable shot at making the Finals. Then cheer for the best.
    This is actually a valid point.

The Spurs really don't have any superstars on their team...

Tony Parker: 17pts, 4asts on 52.5 TS% in the playoffs
    Tim Duncan: 17pts, 9rebs on 55.9 TS% in the playoffs
    Manu Ginobili: 14pts, 4asts on 58.7 TS% in the playoffs

Those aren't superstar numbers, and none of those guys is really gonna go out and drop 50 on you at this stage in their careers. The only one that really commands a double at all is Duncan, and teams rarely do that.

Maybe it is really just about having a great system and making guys fit that system, as long as you have a reasonable high talent level. Maybe we don't need a Durant, LeBron or Kobe to win a championship...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually a valid point.

The Spurs really don't have any superstars on their team...

Tony Parker: 17pts, 4asts on 52.5 TS% in the playoffs
    Tim Duncan: 17pts, 9rebs on 55.9 TS% in the playoffs
    Manu Ginobili: 14pts, 4asts on 58.7 TS% in the playoffs

Those aren't superstar numbers, and none of those guys is really gonna go out and drop 50 on you at this stage in their careers. The only one that really commands a double at all is Duncan, and teams rarely do that.

Maybe it is really just about having a great system and making guys fit that system, as long as you have a reasonable high talent level. Maybe we don't need a Durant, LeBron or Kobe to win a championship...
    Just to add. It's actually not inconceivable that Lowry, DeRozan and JV could be more productive than the Spurs Big Three. The problem is our role players are not integrated as well and also aren't as good as theirs. That's a roster issue but it's also a coaching/philosophy issue.

Maybe THAT's the team that Ujiri is trying to build, who knows.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Actually, if the Heat are the barometer, we need to execute the only strategy that has won titles since they lost to Dallas- have Lebron James.

Seriously, all the teams that have given them fits in the playoffs- Spurs, Pacers, Celtics really only qualify here- Had great systems without really having a top-15 player, really good defenses, and good-to-great coaching. Those systems all countered the Heat system relatively well. They just couldn't scheme to compensate for the glaring lack of Lebron James.

Interestingly, the Heat haven't had trouble with any team that has a top-15 player. Bulls with Rose- 5 games. Melo in NY- 5 games. Thunder- 5 games.
    The problem with this stat is these teams only gave the Heat difficulty, but still couldn't beat them. Dallas beat them....with a superstar named Dirk.

I'd venture a guess that OKC with offensive schemes and defensive rotation would have a better chance then the Spurs now of beating the Heat. That's not to say that the Spurs can't beat the Heat, but the last team I remember that won without a Superstar was Detroit in 2004, which was an era before superstar teams.

Yes, superstars don't grow on trees nor am I advocating going all in to get one, as DD, Ross and JV can still develop. But without that superstar to take over games the possibility of beating the Heat lowers considerably, IMO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information