No announcement yet.

Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if the Heat are the barometer, we need to execute the only strategy that has won titles since they lost to Dallas- have Lebron James.

Seriously, all the teams that have given them fits in the playoffs- Spurs, Pacers, Celtics really only qualify here- Had great systems without really having a top-15 player, really good defenses, and good-to-great coaching. Those systems all countered the Heat system relatively well. They just couldn't scheme to compensate for the glaring lack of Lebron James.

Interestingly, the Heat haven't had trouble with any team that has a top-15 player. Bulls with Rose- 5 games. Melo in NY- 5 games. Thunder- 5 games.
    @Boymusic66

Comment

It's a little ridiculous to say we need to get a superstar. Obviously it would be nice, but every other team is desperately trying to get one too.

All we can do is get the best players we can and give the Raptors a reasonable shot at making the Finals. Then cheer for the best.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        It's a little ridiculous to say we need to get a superstar. Obviously it would be nice, but every other team is desperately trying to get one too.

All we can do is get the best players we can and give the Raptors a reasonable shot at making the Finals. Then cheer for the best.
        This is actually a valid point.

The Spurs really don't have any superstars on their team...

Tony Parker: 17pts, 4asts on 52.5 TS% in the playoffs
        Tim Duncan: 17pts, 9rebs on 55.9 TS% in the playoffs
        Manu Ginobili: 14pts, 4asts on 58.7 TS% in the playoffs

Those aren't superstar numbers, and none of those guys is really gonna go out and drop 50 on you at this stage in their careers. The only one that really commands a double at all is Duncan, and teams rarely do that.

Maybe it is really just about having a great system and making guys fit that system, as long as you have a reasonable high talent level. Maybe we don't need a Durant, LeBron or Kobe to win a championship...

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          This is actually a valid point.

Tony Parker: 17pts, 4asts on 52.5 TS% in the playoffs
          Tim Duncan: 17pts, 9rebs on 55.9 TS% in the playoffs
          Manu Ginobili: 14pts, 4asts on 58.7 TS% in the playoffs

Those aren't superstar numbers, and none of those guys is really gonna go out and drop 50 on you at this stage in their careers. The only one that really commands a double at all is Duncan, and teams rarely do that.

Maybe it is really just about having a great system and making guys fit that system, as long as you have a reasonable high talent level. Maybe we don't need a Durant, LeBron or Kobe to win a championship...
          Just to add. It's actually not inconceivable that Lowry, DeRozan and JV could be more productive than the Spurs Big Three. The problem is our role players are not integrated as well and also aren't as good as theirs. That's a roster issue but it's also a coaching/philosophy issue.

Maybe THAT's the team that Ujiri is trying to build, who knows.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
            Actually, if the Heat are the barometer, we need to execute the only strategy that has won titles since they lost to Dallas- have Lebron James.

Seriously, all the teams that have given them fits in the playoffs- Spurs, Pacers, Celtics really only qualify here- Had great systems without really having a top-15 player, really good defenses, and good-to-great coaching. Those systems all countered the Heat system relatively well. They just couldn't scheme to compensate for the glaring lack of Lebron James.

Interestingly, the Heat haven't had trouble with any team that has a top-15 player. Bulls with Rose- 5 games. Melo in NY- 5 games. Thunder- 5 games.
            The problem with this stat is these teams only gave the Heat difficulty, but still couldn't beat them. Dallas beat them....with a superstar named Dirk.

I'd venture a guess that OKC with offensive schemes and defensive rotation would have a better chance then the Spurs now of beating the Heat. That's not to say that the Spurs can't beat the Heat, but the last team I remember that won without a Superstar was Detroit in 2004, which was an era before superstar teams.

Yes, superstars don't grow on trees nor am I advocating going all in to get one, as DD, Ross and JV can still develop. But without that superstar to take over games the possibility of beating the Heat lowers considerably, IMO.

Comment

Stevo wrote: View Post
              The problem with this stat is these teams only gave the Heat difficulty, but still couldn't beat them. Dallas beat them....with a superstar named Dirk.

I'd venture a guess that OKC with offensive schemes and defensive rotation would have a better chance then the Spurs now of beating the Heat. That's not to say that the Spurs can't beat the Heat, but the last team I remember that won without a Superstar was Detroit in 2004, which was an era before superstar teams.

Yes, superstars don't grow on trees nor am I advocating going all in to get one, as DD, Ross and JV can still develop. But without that superstar to take over games the possibility of beating the Heat lowers considerably, IMO.
              What? I don't understand this statement. Superstar teams have been the most consistent winners in all eras. It is not something new at all. In fact it was at its biggest in the 80s and 90s and is a big reason CBAs have made it much more difficult to put and especially keep together superstar teams.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                Popovich

Comment

CHANDLER PARSONS RFA.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    What? I don't understand this statement. Superstar teams have been the most consistent winners in all eras. It is not something new at all. In fact it was at its biggest in the 80s and 90s and is a big reason CBAs have made it much more difficult to put and especially keep together superstar teams.
                    My bad, what I meant to say was to my recollection, I don't remember there being a superstar team that year. Also to my recollection, it was a slight transition phase, without a huge number of young stars ready to takeover the mantle as ambassadors for the NBA.

I remember those were the years of Kobe, Shaq, A.I, Duncan, Kidd, Vince Carter, and so on. I think Orlando tried to put Grant Hill and McGrady together as a superstar team but to no avail as well.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Yes, but SUPERSTARs do not grow on trees. You could argue neither San Antonio nor Indiana really have one at this point. Spurs did with Duncan, but in terms of production he's not even remotely close to what he used to be. And Parker is like George, kind of a borderline superstar who fits more into that 2nd tier of stars.

Horford and Batum could make us a contender, assuming Jonas takes steps we hope he will. Could possibly keep DeMar or move Ross into the starting 5. If we keep both, that's a very very solid core to build with that includes lots of complementary skills. I could see it contending and having an outside shot at a championship.

Lots rides on the PG spot, as Lowry's long-term outlook is definitely cloudy given his "all-out" style of play. That's why I'm hoping a guy like Ennis or possibly Payton falls to us. Think we need a long-term option in the form of a young guy who will be blossoming with Jonas.
                      I'd also like to say that I think Batum and/or Horford definately keeps us competitive, but not contenders to the Heat's throne, atleast currently. They'd have to say, lose Ray Allen or fail to replace Chalmers, their ball-moving PG.

I do agree us being a contender rides on the development of our young guns in to stars and hopefully SUPERSTARS. Can our guys develop in to superstars? Tough question, but the athleticism and raw physical tools are there, but the skill and consistency need to be developed.

Would it be better to bring in a superstar via FA? Probably not, but those suggesting we follow the Spurs model.......I don't think it's that simple. I don't know if a guy like Lowry can adapt to that model of play, and I think he's awesome.

Comment

...I don't know if a guy like Lowry can adapt to that model of play, and I think he's awesome.
                        Actually I think Lowry has shown that he is a more than willing passer. If the shot is there in transition, he takes it, If it isn't he passes. He is almost the only player to pass to Valanciunas. DD has the ball in his hands more than Lowry. More to the point, Lowry will do whatever it takes to win.

As for the argument about needing a superstar, well sure, if you can get one. But not if you have to gut the team...because when you give up any talent you have to get the star, your superstar get's disgruntled and stops playing or leaves.

No superstar is going to willingly come to the Raptors unless they establish a record of winning. That is why the argument for emphasizing system play is important. The shot available after the third pass is almost always better than the shot available after the first pass. That allows teams with lesser talents to take higher percentage shots. That helps you win during the regular season and also in the earlier rounds of the playoffs. If the Raps can make it to the ECF a couple of times, and Miami is starting to age, guys like KD will give them a sniff.

Comment

Every one of the guys in the original post is a fantastic player. 49 wins and everyone here thinks the entire Raptors roster is untouchable.

Classic

Comment

The Spurs went beyond just giving Miami difficulty - the titles was theirs. Miami was incredibly lucky to pull out that game 6.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

This list looks bleak.. I hope MU is able to turn his picks into gold and those guys turn into stars. Otherwise I hope Lebron is ready for a new challenge and is willing to come to Canada for his next contract. Because that would be pretty f'n awesome.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                The Spurs went beyond just giving Miami difficulty - the titles was theirs. Miami was incredibly lucky to pull out that game 6.
                                It's not luck at all. Miami was the better team and they won the series. They made more plays to win, and also Popovich was out-coached by Spoelstra.

Even if you're only looking at the Ray Allen 3, that's not lucky. Popovich had no rebounders on the floor because he wanted to cover shooters, not realizing that in the event any ball came off that rim in Bosh's vicinity he was going to get it because the Spurs had no size. So yeah LBJ missed the 3, but then Bosh got the rebound due to poor defensive game-planning by San Antonio. As a result, Ray Allen gets a mildly contested 3 in the corner, a spot from which he shoots like 50%.

Not luck at all.

The missed FTs by Ginobili and Kawhi aren't luck, it's two guys cracking under the pressure of being seconds away from a championship. The title was never "theirs"" like you said because they didn't fucking win it.
                                Last edited by imanshumpert; Wed Jun 4, 2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X