No announcement yet.

Stars that could realistically be available to Toronto in the next few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horford would be my ideal player for Toronto. I would even be ok giving up Amir for him.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      So, how do you guys feel? Do you believe that a superstar is absolutely necessary to be a contender, or do you think it's possible to contend with a bunch of good to great players? Because if you think the former is necessary, than I can understand how cheering for this team could be frustrating, and how it will continue to be so in the future.
      We only get an '04 Pistons rarely. You need superstars.
      @Boymusic66

Comment

I've already mentioned how I feel about this. But the Spurs this year could alter that mentality.....

If the Spurs win, we'd have an example of a team without superstars in their prime, but superstars that maintain a superstar presence about them, with intangibles like experience, drive, leadership (from a superstar standpoint) factoring in.

Comment

Stevo wrote: View Post
          I've already mentioned how I feel about this. But the Spurs this year could alter that mentality.....

If the Spurs win, we'd have an example of a team without superstars in their prime, but superstars that maintain a superstar presence about them, with intangibles like experience, drive, leadership (from a superstar standpoint) factoring in.
          It's still superstars. And the only thing that makes up for the lack of in-the-prime superstars is a hall-of-fame trio that has been together for 12 years, combined on a starting lineup with a very intelligent Euroleague first-teamer and Spanish League MVP with decent numbers whose been with them for four years that was given two years to learn the system before starting and an ascending superstar with insane length for his position knows each other in and out, combined with extremely well scouted complementary role players who are specifically developed and put into situations which benefit them, guided by a top 3 coach of all time. Seems to be a hell of a lot harder than getting a couple superstars
          @Boymusic66

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Well I agree with you man. If the only way to win a championship is to have a top 5 player on your team then why do most NBA fans watch at all? Most teams do not have a superstar, so whats the point of supporting a team that has no chance of winning a title? Whats the point of supporting a team that has little to no chance of even acquiring such a superstar type player, because let's face it, most teams in the league have no chance of even doing so, and the Raptors are one of them. Neither Love, Durant, or LBJ will play in TO. I do not believe there is a circumstance in which those types of players would play for the Raptors. Even if Love was traded for, he would leave in free agency. Whether it's because it's in Canada, or the Raps aren't a winning franchise close to contention, or the league would prefer to see it's superstars in large domestic markets, it really doesn't matter. We are one of the franchise's that just does not have access to 'superstars' like L.A. or NYK or Chicago.

But despite 'the facts', I have to believe that a team without a superstar can succeed in this league, although it seems very likely not to happen. Otherwise, I may just as well stop watching, because I think the Raps have a better chance of being a successful team without a superstar than they have of actually acquiring one.
            Fuck all that.

Winning changes everything. Winning and proper management.
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              Fuck all that.

Winning changes everything. Winning and proper management.
              Honestly when you win your players begin to be deemed superstars. Take paul george he was playing in danny grangers shadow until he took miami to 7 games he sudenlly became a superstar. Lets say we beat brooklyn and took miami to 6 games. Derozan would be called a superstar and lowry would be called a top 5 point guard. Whenn you win your players get madddddd overated. Just look at hibbert just last yrar he was called a superstar and franchise centre. Who still thinks that

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                Honestly when you win your players begin to be deemed superstars. Take paul george he was playing in danny grangers shadow until he took miami to 7 games he sudenlly became a superstar. Lets say we beat brooklyn and took miami to 6 games. Derozan would be called a superstar and lowry would be called a top 5 point guard. Whenn you win your players get madddddd overated. Just look at hibbert just last yrar he was called a superstar and franchise centre. Who still thinks that

Yeah but most championship teams have REAL superstars on them.

Only exception really is 03-04 Pistons, and they had 4 all-star players including Ben Wallace, who was a superstar on the defensive end.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post

Doesn't matter, as long as you get those W's.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at this list and think of the caliber of stars that these teams were built around: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

We're talking LeBron, Duncan, KG/Pierce/Allen, Kobe, Shaq, Jordan & Pippen, Hakeem, Thomas, Bird... These aren't just all-stars or really nice players, these are all time greats, top tier Hall of Famers, and most frequently there are 2 or 3 of them on each team.

Recent exceptions to the megastar rule are the Mavs and Pistons, who both capitalized on a perfect-storm of variables and weak competition. Dirk has said on Grantland that the Mavs wouldn't have won a championship a couple years before or after the one they got - they capitalized on a power vacuum and had everything come together perfectly within their own roster that year, a confluence of variables you can't really plan for.

If you're serious about winning a championship, you better aim to get a top 5 player in the league, period. You gotta shoot for KD, or a similar star, even if this is "just" Toronto.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Yup, basically the only way to win a title is with a top 5 player in the league on your team.

The only other way is to have 3-4 all-star level players that fit together perfectly and can excel together on both sides of the ball (07-08 Celtics and 03-04 Pistons).

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                        Yup, basically the only way to win a title is with a top 5 player in the league on your team.

The only other way is to have 3-4 all-star level players that fit together perfectly and can excel together on both sides of the ball (07-08 Celtics and 03-04 Pistons).
                        Dude when that Celtics team was formed those guys were all still considered superstars

Comment

I think the odds of a superstar-less team winning the championship is higher than the odds of the Raptors landing a superstar in the next few years.

I also think the odds of a superstar coming to Toronto increases by a lot if the Raptors make several conference finals.

It's kind of crazy for a franchise that has 0 7-game series victories to be thinking championship or bust. Baby steps. Baby steps.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                            Dude when that Celtics team was formed those guys were all still considered superstars
                            READ

I said top 5 player. Which one of those Celtics guys was a top 5 player that year?

Comment

READ

I said top 5 player. Which one of those Celtics guys was a top 5 player that year?
                              I would even say Pierce is kind of vastly overrated. That big three and title saved his legacy. He was fully on a mediocre career trajectory as a volume scorer on fringe playoff teams. He was a 5 time all-star and two time 3rd team all-NBA before that. If that team is never put together, there's no way anyone ever considers him a hall of famer.

Comment

READ

ALLLLL I'M SAYING: 2006-2007 season

Ray Allen - 26.4ppg, 4.5rbg, 4.1ast 90% ft, 37.2% 3pt

Paul Pierce - 25ppg, 5.9rbg, 4.1ast, 39%3pt

Kevin Garnett - 22.4ppg, 12.8rbg, 4.1ast

They were all at least top 3 at their positions

I just think they were a little more "All-Star level" players than the 03-04 Pistons.

So really theres no point to argue me cause it further proves the point of what you were saying lol The Pistons are really the only team without a top 5 talent that has won a championship in the however many years...

Actually... was Nowitzki a top 5 player in the league when Dallas won? Hmmm, I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X