Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why DeRozan is an ideal 2nd option for a championship team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I've been called many things.

Demar DeRozan has never been one of them.
    Do you prefer DD?
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
      Do you prefer DD?
      My friends call me "Long Deuce"

Comment

That's the best kind of deuce
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          How many of the top ten teams from THIS year would have traded their second option for DeMar straight up?
          I'm actually interested in figuring this out. I'm assuming that this only takes into consideration whether it would make the team better this year (ie no salary, age considerations, etc.).

1. San Antonio - Second option: Duncan
          I'd say this is actually somewhat close. Duncan's still the better player, but the Spurs have Splitter who does basically the same thing as Duncan, only a little worse. It depends on whether the Spurs think that DeRozan's improved passing is good enough to integrate into their offensive system. I say no.

2. Miami - Second option: Wade if healthy and in the lineup, otherwise Bosh
          No in either case.

3. Oklahoma City - Second Option: Westbrook
          But KD plays better and the team does better with Westbrook injured! No.

4. LA Clippers - Second Option: Chris Paul
          No. This list is not looking good for DeMar.

5. Indiana Pacers - Second Option: Hibbert
          The tricky thing with this list is if Indiana had a better backup to Hibbert, and if their first and third options weren't already so similar to DeRozan they would do this fairly quickly. As is, Yes to late season Hibbert, no to early season Hibbert. But it would leave them positionally awkward.

6. Houston Rockets - Second Option: Howard
          Ha, no.

7. Memphis Grizzlies - Second Option: Conley
          Probably not.

8. Portland Trail Blazers - Second Option: Lillard
          This is an absolute yes for me.

9. Golden State - Second Option: Klay, for the sake of getting an apples to apples comparison
          Yes.

10. Dallas - Second Option: Monta Ellis
          Gotta think yes.

So that's 3.5 out of 10 for me. And I'm a DeRozan fan.
          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

yeah but that's because you take forever in the bathroom
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              yeah but that's because you take forever in the bathroom
              That is one of the reasons.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                I'm actually interested in figuring this out. I'm assuming that this only takes into consideration whether it would make the team better this year (ie no salary, age considerations, etc.).

1. San Antonio - Second option: Duncan
                I'd say this is actually somewhat close. Duncan's still the better player, but the Spurs have Splitter who does basically the same thing as Duncan, only a little worse. It depends on whether the Spurs think that DeRozan's improved passing is good enough to integrate into their offensive system. I say no.

2. Miami - Second option: Wade if healthy and in the lineup, otherwise Bosh
                No in either case.

3. Oklahoma City - Second Option: Westbrook
                But KD plays better and the team does better with Westbrook injured! No.

4. LA Clippers - Second Option: Chris Paul
                No. This list is not looking good for DeMar.

5. Indiana Pacers - Second Option: Hibbert
                The tricky thing with this list is if Indiana had a better backup to Hibbert, and if their first and third options weren't already so similar to DeRozan they would do this fairly quickly. As is, Yes to late season Hibbert, no to early season Hibbert. But it would leave them positionally awkward.

6. Houston Rockets - Second Option: Howard
                Ha, no.

7. Memphis Grizzlies - Second Option: Conley
                Probably not.

8. Portland Trail Blazers - Second Option: Lillard
                This is an absolute yes for me.

9. Golden State - Second Option: Klay, for the sake of getting an apples to apples comparison
                Yes.

10. Dallas - Second Option: Monta Ellis
                Gotta think yes.

So that's 3.5 out of 10 for me. And I'm a DeRozan fan.
                I was just about to do this. A couple of additions / changes. Youre missing Leonard from SA (their third option, who they wouldnt trade for DD). This is a definite no.

There is no chance that por trades lillard for DD. zero %. Take that off the list.

Conley I agree is a toss up, but hes # 3 behind Z bo and Gasol - neither of which they would trade for DD.

GS - its amazing to me that K Thomson is their 2nd option, but I guess thats true ... in which case, I agree.

So, Im pretty close, but I would say 8 out of 10 dont do it, but GS and Dallas (the bottom two) would.

Comment

Hibbert is not the Pacers' 2nd option.

Comment

Just to be clear. I do like DeRozan and want him on the team. Also I am on the wagon that says he comes back a better player next year. I think he spends a lot of time this summer looking at game tape and figures out how to better pass out of double teams. And I am betting his defense improves.

Comment

Is 02-03 Tony Parker better than DeRozan?

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                        I was just about to do this. A couple of additions / changes. Youre missing Leonard from SA (their third option, who they wouldnt trade for DD). This is a definite no.

There is no chance that por trades lillard for DD. zero %. Take that off the list.

Conley I agree is a toss up, but hes # 3 behind Z bo and Gasol - neither of which they would trade for DD.

GS - its amazing to me that K Thomson is their 2nd option, but I guess thats true ... in which case, I agree.

So, Im pretty close, but I would say 8 out of 10 dont do it, but GS and Dallas (the bottom two) would.
                        Agree on pretty much all of this. I took another look at Lillard and he's a much better offensive player than I thought, I thought he was roughly equal to DeMar on offense with worse defense, but that is not true. You can't use the only one real year of great production excuse either, because DeMar only has one year of great production.

On Memphis, I see ZBo, Gasol and Conley as almost equal options, and I tried to get away for the "trade for big men" stuff later in the list because big men are inherently more valuable.

San Antonio's strange, because they have such a good offensive system that it makes players who are mediocre on other teams become monsters (Boris Diaw for instance). So Leonard definitely has better numbers , but I can see a scenario where SA sees someone with DeMar's tools and thinks, "Oh yeah, we can make him fit" and increase his efficiency a lot.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                          When Haters talk about trading him for Henderson and late picks, or think Sawgy P is a more talented player than him or at sometimes even talk about trading him for future pick and Cap flexibility, then you are NOTHING but a HATER with no insight to the game.

It is that simple. DD is our most talented player, a guy which this organization has invested for past few season, who has delivered and is on a reasonable contract for his talent and still can grow.
                          I think you missed the points of the Henderson trade as well as the Swaggy P talent reference.

I would argue that DD is not our most talented player, Lowry and Valanciunas I would say have him beat for sure. People forget how good Lowry is...

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                          Is 02-03 Tony Parker better than DeRozan?
                          That is a tough comparison. DD probably was better, but Parker was a 20 year old guy who made a huge jump in nearly every statistical category and posted nearly as good of an ORat as DD. I think it is an unfair comparison.

DD I think is a 3rd option. Looking at our offense all season, the Raptors were at their best when the ball flowed (starting with Lowry) and DD just operated as a role player within the system and took good shots. He could be a high-scoring role player on a good team, but I would not say he is a number 1 or 2 option. Those guys are the ones who can completely break down a defense at will and create shots for himself or his teammates. A good example of a second option would be Jeff Teague. DD is not on that level.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

DD I think is a 3rd option. Looking at our offense all season, the Raptors were at their best when the ball flowed (starting with Lowry) and DD just operated as a role player within the system and took good shots. He could be a high-scoring role player on a good team, but I would not say he is a number 1 or 2 option. Those guys are the ones who can completely break down a defense at will and create shots for himself or his teammates. A good example of a second option would be Jeff Teague. DD is not on that level.
                            We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. I think DD is at least as good as Teague.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

The 2003 Spurs were a single star team. Possibly the worst supporting cast to win a championship. One of many reasons why Duncan is one of the greatest.

But if you don't have Duncan or someone else like that, it's a moot question. Sure, DeMar could've been good enough to be the no.2 on that team, but that's because of Duncan, not because DeMar is so fantastic. He still has ways to go before we can talk about him as a legit 2nd option on a typical championship team.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. I think DD is at least as good as Teague.
                                Difference is Teague can break down and rotate the defense and get himself shots or his teammates good shots.

DD needs teammates to get him good perimeter shots and can only sometimes get into the paint, where he is good at finishing for himself, but does not pass it off his penetration and make his teammates better.

Comment

Working...
                                X