No announcement yet.

Gasol to Raptors makes us a contender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasol to Raptors makes us a contender?

according to Ric Bucher of Bleacher Report...adding FA Gasol to the Raptors to pair with JV would make us instant contenders
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tle-contention

I know Gasol was on our radar big time during the BC era including with Masai was an assistant GM. He's only 33 and obviously we know his resume but he's coming off a down year for him but 17.4 pts & 9.7 rbs is a pretty solid "down year", he's either in decline or gonna have a huge bounce back year playing meaningful games again. He's recently been pretty miserably with the Lakers and he's not gonna cost anywhere close to the $19M his last contract was paying him. Only real scenarios i see would be him re-signing back with the Lakers or going back to the Grizz with lil bro Marc but you never know. what you think...Gasol finally playing for the Raps a good thing?

2 year deal or less.

And sign him after Lowry and GV. And maybe 2Pat.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

The Raptors wouldn't have leverage to pick the term of the deal. Market demand will decide that.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Short-term fixes carry terrible opportunity costs for the benefit of a few extra wins. We aren't going to take Miami with Pau.

Comment

If we were talking Marc...

Comment

No. Just no. Raptors won't be champion contenders for a few years yet - by then Pau will be too old. I like him very much and he is a gifted player, but I don't think the timing is right.

Comment

Kate C wrote: View Post
              No. Just no. Raptors won't be champion contenders for a few years yet - by then Pau will be too old. I like him very much and he is a gifted player, but I don't think the timing is right.
              In general, this.

In a more specific situation, where he's only here for a year or two at something like the MLE, it might be a decent move...but still, like above, it probably does not move us over the top into contention. Just seems unnecessary and not nearly rewarding enough to aggressively consider.

Comment

We have the advantage of knowing how Gasol would impact our team since Bosh has a similar game. While our offense would gain an added dimension, our defence would suffer. Pass

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  We have the advantage of knowing how Gasol would impact our team since Bosh has a similar game. While our offense would gain an added dimension, our defence would suffer. Pass
                  Why would our defense suffer? Pau is an underrated defender. People label him soft because of his frame, but he's no way soft. And the difference is that unlike Bosh who was the number 1 option, Pau is not. He's probably be number 2 or 3 as we have Demar and Lowry when he comes back. Also, Gasol has experience with playing with an elite shooting guard (Kobe) and a centre who can also score (Bynum) and was successful.

The worst case for this would be that he will be Jermain 2.0 of Hakeem 2.0, both all-star bigs who were past their primes when they got here. I would only do this deal though for a reasonable contract though. We do need an upgrade at the 4 if we are to be legit contenders. Amir did a hell of a job these past 2 years, but his at his best when he's the first big off the bench with his energy. Patterson is decent too, and a great help defender, but he gets bullied inside by real Power Forwards (West, Boozer, Gibson) so I don't see him as our PF of the future.

I wanted either Pau, Zbo or Monroe, with Pau being my favourite as he's the most versatile of the 3 and he gives us that veteran leadership and playoff/championship experience that a young team like us needs. Pau gets disrespected by everyone, calling him soft and shit, but I remember him leading those Memphis teams to their first playoffs ever, and how he carried Spain in FIBA Euros and FIBA Worlds.

I don't think the east would be as crappy as this year. We were lucky that NY and BK, who were supposed to be the favourites sucked. So let's build up on that success. In Masai We Trust. And Fuck Brooklyn!

Comment

It doesn't make us a contender. A way underrated aspect of team building is timing. Don't mess it up. You have a window, play for that window.

Make moves that help 2 or 3 years down the line and past that. This year is more development.

2013-14 was nice, but don't try and speed things up beyond their natural pace. Whatever happens next year, we want to try and make the conference finals 2015-2016 and keep pushing from there.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Gasol is a true centre, not a PF. Lakers played best when he was a 5 and Odom was a 4. To me, the move doesn't make sense from a basketball perspective, nevermind the money part...
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        Gasol is a true centre, not a PF. Lakers played best when he was a 5 and Odom was a 4. To me, the move doesn't make sense from a basketball perspective, nevermind the money part...
                        I think Gasol can work at the 4, but agree that at this point in his career, he's best used as a C, and getting him to play with JV is going to be tough and we'll have to totally change our defensive schemes.

I think if we're going to go for an upgrade at the 4, we should go for someone younger or a better fit. Horford, Love, Millsap...even Monroe for a post player who does a lot of the things Gasol does but is much younger (but will be too expensive for my tastes and who I personally want nothing to do with). None may become available, but if we can't get such an option, stick to role players like Amir and 2Pat until you can figure out something better.

Comment

Gasol will go to a team where he'll put them over the top, not a team like the raptors.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            ...Actually Bynum played center and Gasol played the PF position. Odom played everything from 1-4 off the bench. Gasol would be a great option. BUT, his age scares me. He'd need to accept a significant pay cut.

Comment

Gasol is way past his prime so no.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                              X