Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gasol to Raptors makes us a contender?

Raptors Republic All-Star imanshumpert's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We can't get Pau without losing Lowry... in which case it wouldn't make any sense at ALL to sign Pau.

So no.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami would sign him to the MLE in an instant. Big 3 opt out. So the starting lineup -Norris Cole , Wade, Lebron, Bosh & Gasol. Bench - Allen, Haslem, Anderson, Lewis and a backup Pg from the draft . Less than 70 million dollars still have $6 million dollars to be under the luxury tax.
    Big 3 opt out and Bosh and Lebron start 4-80 million with first year salary starting at $18.2. Wade starts a 4/60 starting at 15. Big 3 cost in 2014/15 -51.3 and actually under the salary Cap. Miami could reload. Miami could offer Lebron a 3 plus 1.
    Pau can do Sesame Street from South Beach.

Raptors Republic Rookie LateBoomer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kate C wrote: View Post
    No. Just no. Raptors won't be champion contenders for a few years yet - by then Pau will be too old. I like him very much and he is a gifted player, but I don't think the timing is right.
    On the other hand, l believe Pau can provide leadership and can mentor JV,
    probably teach him more offensive moves.
    Also Pau has been champion twice, the Raptors need someone with that kind of experience.
    The keyword here is contender, l think that is a misnomer.
    Pau can not make this team a contender, but he can guide these young ones to being a contender.

Post Thanks / Like

IF the Raptors were going to make a move like this this summer, Luol Deng would make 1 billion times more sense than Pau Gasol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    IF the Raptors were going to make a move like this this summer, Luol Deng would make 1 billion times more sense than Pau Gasol.
    Have zero interest in either move, but man would I lose it if we signed Deng for big money.

Deng is incredibly inefficient: TS% of 51.7% this year and 50.8% and 50.0% the previous two years.

Deng is an overrated defender. He didn't even get the rep of being a good defender until the Thibs era in Chicago started, and that had a hell of a lot more to do with Thibodeau's schemes than it did with Deng's defensive "prowess". Chicago didn't miss a beat defensively after his trade despite replacing him with a sub-par defender in Mike Dunleavy, and their offense significantly improved. Let that sink in.

Deng isn't even a floor spacer at the 3 spot. He hasn't shot the 3-ball well the last two years, and has only been mediocre to below-average from beyond the arc on his career.

Don't get me wrong Pau has also been bad the last two years, especially with his efficiency.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Have zero interest in either move, but man would I lose it if we signed Deng for big money.

Deng is incredibly inefficient: TS% of 51.7% this year and 50.8% and 50.0% the previous two years.

Deng is an overrated defender. He didn't even get the rep of being a good defender until the Thibs era in Chicago started, and that had a hell of a lot more to do with Thibodeau's schemes than it did with Deng's defensive "prowess". Chicago didn't miss a beat defensively after his trade despite replacing him with a sub-par defender in Mike Dunleavy, and their offense significantly improved. Let that sink in.

Deng isn't even a floor spacer at the 3 spot. He hasn't shot the 3-ball well the last two years, and has only been mediocre to below-average from beyond the arc on his career.

Don't get me wrong Pau has also been bad the last two years, especially with his efficiency.
    Yea I don't get the hype surrounding deng, sure he has length and can guard Lebron type guys but that's about it. He's like the most ineffecient non-ISO type player
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Deng is solid defensively (even before Thibs), but has always had minor nagging health issues which impacts him there. Whenever healthy he's a very good defender. Whenever he's got something bugging him that falls to shit (which isn't surprising).

He's inefficient offensively, but not terrible or anything. He's just been overhyped because he's a glue-guy role player who's sold as an all-star all-around player. He needs a lesser offensive role and then to just do the other things he's always done.

In this thread the idea of Gasol fitting in Dallas was discussed. I also think Deng could fit there. Diminish his offensive role in a lineup with, ideally, Gasol, Nowitzki, Ellis and Calderon, where he's a 4th/5th option with Jose.

Post Thanks / Like

Jose/Ellis/Nowitzki/Gasol....

That team is gonna get LIT UP

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They already have to win with offence. Don't think they can really upgrade their D in free agency. May as well embrace it and try to be a scoring juggernaut.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose/Ellis/Dirk/Any realistic acquisition at centre is going to have a hard time defending.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not interested in either move myself, but you're being a bit hard on Deng. He's about to be overpaid because a number of GMs are going to be envisioning him helping them defend LeBron and Durant, the two best players in the league for the foreseeable future.

If Deng were a couple years younger, and the Raps were one or two seasons further along in their development and still had this hole at SF, then the timing would be right to sacrifice some of their own talent to upgrade SF.

But back to being hard on Deng - the upgrade from Salmons to Deng would be absolutely huge. He'd make a big impact here for a season or two and definitely help turn this into a second round team.

Thread Information