Gasol to Raptors makes us a contender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Never say never. He's apparently in Toronto at the moment. Twitter sources (so take it for what its worth) had him having dinner in downtown Toronto last night. Soooo, the wheels might just be spinning.
    Pretty sure the Toronto staff went to Eurobasket -- kind of why they had no Friday workouts. Bill Bayno (Raps Ass.) is the camp director this year.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      Never say never. He's apparently in Toronto at the moment. Twitter sources (so take it for what its worth) had him having dinner in downtown Toronto last night. Soooo, the wheels might just be spinning.
      It will take a lot of money or long term commitment to bring him to Toronto. He has said in many interviews that he is looking to be either with a contender or play with his brother or stay in LA since he loved the town and Lakers.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
        He would consider himself very lucky if he got 3/30 and whoever signs him to that sort of a deal would be making a big mistake. 2/10-12 sounds reasonable and Raps. should not pay any more.
        LOL, in a world that Amir Johnson is getting 9 million, then you think Gasol 5-6 a year is reasonable !!! You need to do the math again.

Comment

I like Gasol and he would be a nice fit here but everyone knows that if he gonna come to Toronto,

He will get atleast 12mill per year
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Someone's going to sign him to a long term deal and severely regret it.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              It's possible to have both. If you let 2Pat, Vasquez and Hansbrough go, you could offer Pau around 3/30. There's also an option to stretch some players.

Feasible. I just don't think it's the best way to go.
              Nah, I think that's too much. Not being able to sign those players (with the exception of TH) is not ideal. Besides, Pau being beside a traditional centre like JV wouldn't work (didn't work with Dwight and if I can remember, with Bynum either).
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                LOL, in a world that Amir Johnson is getting 9 million, then you think Gasol 5-6 a year is reasonable !!! You need to do the math again.
                Your info is misleading. Amir makes 9mil. in the final year of his contract. When he becomes FA, he will not be worth, even close to 9mil a year. This at the age of 28 (if I'm right).

This is Tornto's hypothetical situation:

Sign Gasol to a 3yr 30mil deal or re-sign PP to a 4yr 20mil deal. Considering PP's age, versatility, wide range and possible growth, it makes sense to go with the later UNLESS Gasol can be signed to a 2yr 12mil deal. Is Gasol worth more? Maybe but not in the "Toronto context". They've got more important things on their plate.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                  Your info is misleading. Amir makes 9mil. in the final year of his contract. When he becomes FA, he will not be worth, even close to 9mil a year. This at the age of 28 (if I'm right).

This is Tornto's hypothetical situation:

Sign Gasol to a 3yr 30mil deal or re-sign PP to a 4yr 20mil deal. Considering PP's age, versatility, wide range and possible growth, it makes sense to go with the later UNLESS Gasol can be signed to a 2yr 12mil deal. Is Gasol worth more? Maybe but not in the "Toronto context". They've got more important things on their plate.
                  It's also wrong, since Amir is making $7M next year. Don't know where 9 came from.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    5-6 mil a year? Not going to happen. He might take a midlevel to go to a contender where he gets to play his game. I don't see him considering a two year midlevel to play half his minutes out of position on this team. I think he'd be insulted by that offer, to be honest.

Me, I'd love to see him on the Mavs. That team is already so lovably weird, and Pau would make them even more fun. He fits in nicely too. They might prefer to have someone more like Tyson Chandler again but I'd be very curious to see what Carlisle could do with Pau.
                    I think Dallas is a very interesting option for Gasol. Offensively it could be a dream fit. With shooters like Dirk and Jose, and a breakdown guy like Monta. They'd be incredibly hard to defend if they can utilize all those weapons.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                      Why would our defense suffer? Pau is an underrated defender. People label him soft because of his frame, but he's no way soft. And the difference is that unlike Bosh who was the number 1 option, Pau is not. He's probably be number 2 or 3 as we have Demar and Lowry when he comes back. Also, Gasol has experience with playing with an elite shooting guard (Kobe) and a centre who can also score (Bynum) and was successful.

The worst case for this would be that he will be Jermain 2.0 of Hakeem 2.0, both all-star bigs who were past their primes when they got here. I would only do this deal though for a reasonable contract though. We do need an upgrade at the 4 if we are to be legit contenders. Amir did a hell of a job these past 2 years, but his at his best when he's the first big off the bench with his energy. Patterson is decent too, and a great help defender, but he gets bullied inside by real Power Forwards (West, Boozer, Gibson) so I don't see him as our PF of the future.

I wanted either Pau, Zbo or Monroe, with Pau being my favourite as he's the most versatile of the 3 and he gives us that veteran leadership and playoff/championship experience that a young team like us needs. Pau gets disrespected by everyone, calling him soft and shit, but I remember him leading those Memphis teams to their first playoffs ever, and how he carried Spain in FIBA Euros and FIBA Worlds.

I don't think the east would be as crappy as this year. We were lucky that NY and BK, who were supposed to be the favourites sucked. So let's build up on that success. In Masai We Trust. And Fuck Brooklyn!
                      How is Pau's Defense in comparison to Amir's, because that's whom he would be replacing.

Comment

We can't get Pau without losing Lowry... in which case it wouldn't make any sense at ALL to sign Pau.

So no.

Comment

Miami would sign him to the MLE in an instant. Big 3 opt out. So the starting lineup -Norris Cole , Wade, Lebron, Bosh & Gasol. Bench - Allen, Haslem, Anderson, Lewis and a backup Pg from the draft . Less than 70 million dollars still have $6 million dollars to be under the luxury tax.
                          Big 3 opt out and Bosh and Lebron start 4-80 million with first year salary starting at $18.2. Wade starts a 4/60 starting at 15. Big 3 cost in 2014/15 -51.3 and actually under the salary Cap. Miami could reload. Miami could offer Lebron a 3 plus 1.
                          Pau can do Sesame Street from South Beach.

Comment

Kate C wrote: View Post
                            No. Just no. Raptors won't be champion contenders for a few years yet - by then Pau will be too old. I like him very much and he is a gifted player, but I don't think the timing is right.
                            On the other hand, l believe Pau can provide leadership and can mentor JV,
                            probably teach him more offensive moves.
                            Also Pau has been champion twice, the Raptors need someone with that kind of experience.
                            The keyword here is contender, l think that is a misnomer.
                            Pau can not make this team a contender, but he can guide these young ones to being a contender.

Comment

IF the Raptors were going to make a move like this this summer, Luol Deng would make 1 billion times more sense than Pau Gasol.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                                IF the Raptors were going to make a move like this this summer, Luol Deng would make 1 billion times more sense than Pau Gasol.
                                Have zero interest in either move, but man would I lose it if we signed Deng for big money.

Deng is incredibly inefficient: TS% of 51.7% this year and 50.8% and 50.0% the previous two years.

Deng is an overrated defender. He didn't even get the rep of being a good defender until the Thibs era in Chicago started, and that had a hell of a lot more to do with Thibodeau's schemes than it did with Deng's defensive "prowess". Chicago didn't miss a beat defensively after his trade despite replacing him with a sub-par defender in Mike Dunleavy, and their offense significantly improved. Let that sink in.

Deng isn't even a floor spacer at the 3 spot. He hasn't shot the 3-ball well the last two years, and has only been mediocre to below-average from beyond the arc on his career.

Don't get me wrong Pau has also been bad the last two years, especially with his efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                                X