Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kings Aggressively recruiting....Rudy Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings Aggressively recruiting....Rudy Gay?

I. Don't. Get. It.

Sacramento Kings officials are bringing two Hall of Famers to meet forward Rudy Gay early next week in hopes of convincing him to exercise the option in his contract for next season, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Hall of Famers Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond, a former Kings star, are expected to join Kings owner Vivek Ranadive, general manager Pete D’Alessandro and head coach Michael Malone when they meet with Gay.

During the meetings, the Kings also will have Gay wear a headset with eyewear that will give him a complete virtual digital tour of the inside of the new Kings arena, including the locker room and arena floor.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...udy-to-opt-in/

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why this makes sense.

Kings have no clue what the fuck they are doing. Rudy is 30, he is what he is now and he'll probably start to decline within the next few years

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Kings have no clue what the fuck they are doing. Rudy is 30, he is what he is now and he'll probably start to decline within the next few years
      I sort of agree...but Rudy turns 28 this summer. In bball every year counts and 28 is not the same as 30. Two more years of high level performance is a really really big deal.

Now, Rudy is a terrible player and his "high level performance" isn't worth a damn...but Sacto, as you say, clearly has no fucking clue what they're doing. Clearly desperate to be taken seriously and making moves that will probably do more damage than good in that regard over the long haul.

Comment

Weird.

Comment

imo if he wants the money he opts in , but if he wants the ring he opts out and signs with a contender.

Comment

TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
            imo if he wants the money he opts in , but if he wants the ring he opts out and signs with a contender.
            Which contender would actually sign Gay?

Miami doesn't need him. Indy doesn't need him (if Indy is still considered a real contender). Doubt San Antonio wants his ball-stopping ways. OKC doesn't need him.

The only team I think might have even remote interest is LAC. And I don't know if they really will have enough interest to go after him. But they could use a wing who can get his own bucket and not be a total wildcard off the bench like Crawford.

Portland is set at the wing. If I'm Houston I keep Parsons rather than sign Gay. GSW is pretty much set as well.

And some of these teams can only offer exceptions...He may take a paycut, but not to that extreme. He's not a 35 year old going ring chasing, he's a soon-to-be 28 year old in his prime looking for at least one more big contract. He's not going from a 19 million dollar option to a MLE type deal.

Gay should pick up his option and look toward next summer to figure out what he's going to do next.

Comment

I could see Charlotte as a realistic match if Gay opts out this summer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                I could see Charlotte as a realistic match if Gay opts out this summer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

You know if Sacramento were to somehow trade up and get Vonleh... their team would make a lot of sense tbh.

- You've got a PG who can score efficiently and dish the rock
                  - A SG that projects to be a nice 3+D guy once he figures the NBA out
                  - A SF who can score, rebound and pass, and also play relatively efficiently within the offense when his head is on right
                  - A PF who can stretch the floor and also block shots
                  - A C who can score excellently from the block and also defends the post well 1 on 1 (not good as a rim protector though, hence Vonleh).

All of those guys under 28 years old. If you got a good coach in there why wouldn't it work?

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                    You know if Sacramento were to somehow trade up and get Vonleh... their team would make a lot of sense tbh.

- You've got a PG who can score efficiently and dish the rock
                    - A SG that projects to be a nice 3+D guy once he figures the NBA out
                    - A SF who can score, rebound and pass, and also play relatively efficiently within the offense when his head is on right
                    - A PF who can stretch the floor and also block shots
                    - A C who can score excellently from the block and also defends the post well 1 on 1 (not good as a rim protector though, hence Vonleh).

All of those guys under 28 years old. If you got a good coach in there why wouldn't it work?
                    Because their Sacramento, that is where careers go to die, they've been in the lottery for what seems like forever and have so many bad contracts. They payed salmons and Hayes 12mill a year.

I'd love for them to pull it together though
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Maybe it's a clever psychological trick?

Rudy Gay to himself: No way in hell I'm opting out and leaving all this money.
                      Kings: Rudy, please please do us a huge favor and opt in. We love you! We know you could get a big long deal in free agency but we need you!
                      Rudy Gay to himself: No way in hell I'm opting in and leaving all that money.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        Maybe it's a clever psychological trick?

Rudy Gay to himself: No way in hell I'm opting out and leaving all this money.
                        Kings: Rudy, please please do us a huge favor and opt in. We love you! We know you could get a big long deal in free agency but we need you!
                        Rudy Gay to himself: No way in hell I'm opting in and leaving all that money.
                        Damn, genius.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

As long as he's not here.
                          OG is our king

Comment

That's definitely strange. All you heard was good things about Rudy from MU (some of that could be said in jest) so he seems like a nice guy. I just don't know why he would opt out. I guess a guarantee of a longer term deal is something that he might be considering. He could have a bad injury next year and not be given another contract. I believe Richard Jefferson opted out when he was to be making a handsome sum in his last year - so it's not out of the ordinary.

For the Kings sake I hope he does opt out and they get to keep him for a fairer amount ($10-$12M/yr for example). That team has been so bad for so long it would be nice to see them out of the lottery for once.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              That's definitely strange. All you heard was good things about Rudy from MU (some of that could be said in jest) so he seems like a nice guy. I just don't know why he would opt out. I guess a guarantee of a longer term deal is something that he might be considering. He could have a bad injury next year and not be given another contract. I believe Richard Jefferson opted out when he was to be making a handsome sum in his last year - so it's not out of the ordinary.

For the Kings sake I hope he does opt out and they get to keep him for a fairer amount ($10-$12M/yr for example). That team has been so bad for so long it would be nice to see them out of the lottery for once.
                              Can they get out of the lottery in the West? They seem pretty far to me. Beyond just need better chemistry and D....they are nowhere near the level of the playoff teams from this year. Then throw in PHX who probably overachieved but still were just far far better than them. Minnesota is also better if they keep Love (and probably about on the same level if they lose him). Denver and New Orleans could both possibly stay ahead of them too, especially NOP as Davis continues to develop since he can become a truly dominant player on both ends. They just have a lot of work to do.

For Gay's sake, I hope if he opts out and gets a 10-12 million/year deal from Charlotte. Could be a good fit there and the culture moved in the right direction this year. They need a scoring wing and they'll have a hard time getting a better option than Gay. MKG and/or Henderson become expendable (especially if they draft a shooter like McDermott, Stauskas or Harris) and they can shop them to strengthen other holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X