Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else think derek fisher coaching the knicks is a massive downgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else think derek fisher coaching the knicks is a massive downgrade?

knicks fans seem pretty happy with the choice and are generally comparing him to jason kidd which is bizarre to me. one player was actually really good and earned his rings. the other just happened to land amongst kobe/shaq and totally austin dayed a few rings by default. i swear he probably only played like 40% of total games his entire career due to constant injury. why are knicks fans hyped for this guy?

yes.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      knicks fans seem pretty happy with the choice and are generally comparing him to jason kidd which is bizarre to me. one player was actually really good and earned his rings. the other just happened to land amongst kobe/shaq and totally austin dayed a few rings by default. i swear he probably only played like 40% of total games his entire career due to constant injury. why are knicks fans hyped for this guy?
      Austin Dayed a few rings, hahaha.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Phil is really going to be the coach.. just by proxy. So I wouldn't really say its a downgrade.

Comment

I think it's more comparable to Steve Kerr than Kidd. Both are very hyped but haven't really done anything to deserve it.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
            I don't think playing career is relevant at all. In most cases I think it's a negative. Few stars become good coaches, they have too big egos. Best coaches are usually ex-role players who were good locker room guys and understood their roles. Fisher is a smart guy, knows how to communicate, clearly a leader and clearly can handle adversity.

Also, I suspect that Phil is going to have a major role in coaching decisions. And for that to work, I think they needed a younger coach, a rookie coach. If you get a veteran coach who's stuck in his ways, Phil Jackson's meddling might become a distraction, there could be friction.

Comment

Kidd has no fucking clue how to coach. Dude can't even draw up a play, He makes his assistants do all the play calling. They fully showed it during a time out when they were getting wrecked by miami. J Kidd just standing there staring while his assistant draws up a play

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Kidd has no fucking clue how to coach. Dude can't even draw up a play, He makes his assistants do all the play calling. They fully showed it during a time out when they were getting wrecked by miami. J Kidd just standing there staring while his assistant draws up a play
                You realize that he didn't lose the coaching battle in the first round right?

Derick Fisher will implement Phil's triangle offense. I think New York is going to go into rebuilding for a couple of years until Phil gets the players he wants on the roster. The Knicks are probably 6 years away from being relevant again.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  ...I think New York is going to go into rebuilding for a couple of years until Phil gets the players he wants on the roster...
                  And Raps have those draft picks in the next couple of years.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    You realize that he didn't lose the coaching battle in the first round right?

Derick Fisher will implement Phil's triangle offense. I think New York is going to go into rebuilding for a couple of years until Phil gets the players he wants on the roster. The Knicks are probably 6 years away from being relevant again.
                    It helps to have two HOF's on your team that have been through it all. Dwane Casey is still the better coach hands down

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      It helps to have two HOF's on your team that have been through it all. Dwane Casey is still the better coach hands down
                      I have nothing against Casey, but I can't say he WON the coaching battle, at least for that series. Even if Kyle gets his shot at the end of the game to go, I still don't think you look back and say Casey's coaching was a difference maker.

Maybe I'm undervaluing a Kevin Garnett who was outplayed by Jonas for much of the series, but yeah, the Nets game plan worked better than the Raptors, and the Raps adjustments to the Nets were pretty ineffectual. So it is Kidd hands down for the series.

Although, I'd rather have Casey than Kidd (especially, when you consider whatever went on with the bucks job) but he's certainly better than you're implying.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        And Raps have those draft picks in the next couple of years.

At least that's how it plays out in my mind!!! Although to truly reap the rewards, we need the Nuggets to also be terrible in 2016. If the Nugget's and Knicks end up with a combination of the 1st and 2nd picks, We'd get the 2nd pick!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X