No announcement yet.

Report: Lowry re-signs @ 4yr/$48M w/ETO after 3rd year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masai's full force talk today also gives him a great big out if Lowry leaves or they end up doing sign and trade.

"We did all we could but he really wanted to pursue ......."

There are fans who say they will stop supporting raps or season seat people who would revolt..... Yada yada yada. Masai and Tim have all the bases covered.

I'm probably in tinfoil cap territory or conspiracy theorist land but whatever.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      ...I'm probably in tinfoil cap territory or conspiracy theorist land but whatever.
      No StupyDoops in the Raps front office. They have gamed out every contingency, and every public pronouncement, while not exactly scripted, conforms to their expectation of future situations.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Masai's full force talk today also gives him a great big out if Lowry leaves or they end up doing sign and trade.

"We did all we could but he really wanted to pursue ......."

There are fans who say they will stop supporting raps or season seat people who would revolt..... Yada yada yada. Masai and Tim have all the bases covered.

I'm probably in tinfoil cap territory or conspiracy theorist land but whatever.
        i agree completely, MU and TL are as calculated as they come.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

People need to remember that rebuilding is a slow process and even if the Raptors take a small step backwards they're probably ahead of where you thought they'd be when you were estimating a few years ago.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            People need to remember that rebuilding is a slow process and even if the Raptors take a small step backwards they're probably ahead of where you thought they'd be when you were estimating a few years ago.

There is no question they are ahead right now in terms of regular season wins and a playoff appearance. Had they kept Gay, I don't think it is naive to think none of that would have happened and the Raps would be where I thought.

But the ultimate goal is a championship. I'm not sure they are closer right now. In fact, despite the success, they could be farther away as the inevitable is only being delayed.

The reason why I've been so adamant about building through the draft is because of the time a draft pick affords a team. We as Raptor fans have seen what happens when you have a revolving door on the roster year in and year out. A draft pick usually gives a team 8-9 years with a player. That is a lot of time to build.

It is certainly an interesting time to be a Raptor fan.

Comment

There is much more to this than roster management. Image management is just as important to the Raptors for example. The Raptors have not been a very respected destination by the players. This should be slowly changing but until it does their chances at a title are limited.

Comment

There is much more to this than roster management. Image management is just as important to the Raptors for example. The Raptors have not been a very respected destination by the players. This should be slowly changing but until it does their chances at a title are limited.

You know what changes a team's image the fastest? A superstar. How do you think the Clippers - the CLIPPERS - ended up with Chris Paul? They got Griffin, and suddenly they were a team worth thinking about. The Hornets are a team on the rise, pretty much only because of Davis.

The image rehab will go nowhere unless there's talent to go with it - and that talent does most of the image rehab work anyway, so I don't see the point of scuttling the chance to improve the talent portion in the name of image.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Even more reason to build through the draft with the 8-9 years they can be afforded.

But the Raptors are in the same boat as 24 other NBA teams in that desired/respected destination challenge.

Comment

The Raptors have been worse off than most. They've been abysmal most of the time and don't overlook the fact that they're in Canada. This actually does mean something to some players and it has hurt the team in the past.

Comment

• Why are people talking about trading Lowry for the #7 pick and parts?

How is that going to happen when Lowry isn't under contract? Isn't that clear tampering? The Lakers aren't supposed to be able to negotiate with him until after July 1st.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                        Why are people talking about trading Lowry for the #7 pick and parts?

How is that going to happen when Lowry isn't under contract? Isn't that clear tampering? The Lakers aren't supposed to be able to negotiate with him until after July 1st.
                        Well, the Raptors can negotiate on their behalf all they like. There's no rule against Masai asking if Lowry would be interested in a sign and trade to a specific team. If the LAL are interested in, say, a Nash+7 for Lowry swap, then an agreement can be made at the draft to do that, so long as the discussion starts well before the draft and Masai gets to pitch the idea to Lowry first. If both teams are confident the SnT will go through, it can be done. The Lakers would just ask Masai who he wants at 7, pick for him, then Nash and the rights to that player would be dealt to the Raptors on July 10th.

It is risky business though - you have to have all parties on board. If one reneges, it kind of screws the others. Of course, in a world where agent and GM relationships are paramount, this is unlikely. It has happened though, players backing out of verbal agreements. So there is an element of risk.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          *Original Poster's note: I don't know what Lowry is going to do, just shooting the sh!t*

So we've been down this road before with most important player on the team rumoured to be leaving.

Someone important enough for it to be remembered once said, "Where there is smoke there is fire!"

So I ask you: If Lowry leaves, where do we go from here?
                          If Lowry walks and in doing so we don't receive any assets back it will be tough, but I'd like to see the Raptors try and package the 20th pick along with a future first rounder for Ricky Rubio. I think with Love leaving Minnesota they may have no other choice than to try and rebuild. After that I'd like to see the Raptors sign Luol Deng in free agency.

Deng playing the 4 in small line up's is interesting if you have a pass first PG like Rubio distributing to the likes of DD, Ross and Deng and finding JV in the post (he will find JV in the post).

It's much easier if we can get some assets back for Lowry though because the 20th and a future first round pick isn't exactly appealing to a team facing a rebuild. Maybe Lowry to the Kings or Lakers for the 7th or 8th pick, would do the trick. Obviously some warm bodies would have to get thrown in to make the math works out and as long as it's not a core member Raptors could end up not having taken a step back.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            If Lowry walks and in doing so we don't receive any assets back it will be tough, but I'd like to see the Raptors try and package the 20th pick along with a future first rounder for Ricky Rubio. I think with Love leaving Minnesota they may have no other choice than to try and rebuild. After that I'd like to see the Raptors sign Luol Deng in free agency.

Deng playing the 4 in small line up's is interesting if you have a pass first PG like Rubio distributing to the likes of DD, Ross and Deng and finding JV in the post (he will find JV in the post).

It's much easier if we can get some assets back for Lowry though because the 20th and a future first round pick isn't exactly appealing to a team facing a rebuild. Maybe Lowry to the Kings or Lakers for the 7th or 8th pick, would do the trick. Obviously some warm bodies would have to get thrown in to make the math works out and as long as it's not a core member Raptors could end up not having taken a step back.
                            Do NOT want Ricky Rubio. No Defence, No Shot, No Good.. He had a pretty good team infront of him this season and his weaknesses were really glaring.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              Do NOT want Ricky Rubio. No Defence, No Shot, No Good.. He had a pretty good team infront of him this season and his weaknesses were really glaring.
                              I would seriously rather have Vasquez than Rubio....

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post

No no no, don't agree with any of this,

Why would we trade future assets for Rubio who can pretty much only pass and get steals? He's also an rfa next year I believe so we'd have to spend a lot to keep him.

Just zero interest in signing Deng whatsoever.

You realize a Rubio/dd/Deng/Amir/Jonas lineup doesn't have a single guy who can hit the three consistently right? Play Deng at the 4 and were gonna get killed defensively against top flight power forwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X