Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Are the Raptors ideal trade partners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    One thing we absolutely have to do is make sure the 2015-2016 denver nuggets are bad. If Melo leaves, New York probably needs to think about going into rebuild mode.

In the 2016 Draft, Nuggets have the 1st right to swap picks with the Knicks, and the Raps have the second right

So we get the higher (worse) draft pick between those two teams (as long as it's better than our own, if it's not we just keep our pick and don't swap).

As far as I can tell, there aren't any protections, so hopefully both are lottery teams. I could easily see us walking away with a top 10 pick, depending on what happens in Denver.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that having the option to swap picks is often better than just getting picks straight up. It seems like most picks traded straight up have protections on them, with more and more being top 10 protected. The right to swap, gets around those protections and allows a good team to draft in the lottery.

EDIT: This is definitely a trend worth keeping an eye on, it was only 3-4 years ago when people still traded 1st rounders without protections, 2-3 years ago it was only top 3 protected. Now it seems like all first rounders are either 10-14 protected, which lowers significantly the odds of getting an impact player.
    That 2016 pick from Denver/NY is not protected:

2016 first round draft pick to Denver
    Denver has the right to swap its 2016 1st round pick for New York's 2016 1st round pick [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011]; New York will convey the less favorable of these two picks to Toronto (see New York Debits)

2016 first round draft pick to Toronto
    New York will convey the less favorable of its 2016 1st round pick and Denver's 2016 1st round pick to Toronto (via Denver's right to swap for New York) [Denver-Minnesota-New York, 2/22/2011 and then New York-Toronto, 7/10/2013]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed
    Raps have 2 picks in 2016.

Here is hoping to the Nuggets picking #1 and the Kni..., er, I mean Raps picking #2 and 25+.

Comment

With "Melo Madness" about to take off as "the" FA story going forward (as it it affects NY) believe a lot of the white noise around Lowry will dissipate. I can hardly wait for tweets and stories on every "indicator" on where Melo is going down to what colour underwear he is wearing and how that affects his destination.
      Great for us as the Knicks now look to be pretty bad this year as both Barney +Stoudemire have as expected picked up their options. No cap room to add players and no draft picks yet. Just have to hope Denver has a tough season as well. Unfortunately they get back Gallinari this year. Still hope they will fade as they also get the juvenille delinquent Javale McGee as well.
      Should be an rollercoaster next few days
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        With "Melo Madness" about to take off as "the" FA story going forward (as it it affects NY) believe a lot of the white noise around Lowry will dissipate. I can hardly wait for tweets and stories on every "indicator" on where Melo is going down to what colour underwear he is wearing and how that affects his destination.
        Great for us as the Knicks now look to be pretty bad this year as both Barney +Stoudemire have as expected picked up their options. No cap room to add players and no draft picks yet. Just have to hope Denver has a tough season as well. Unfortunately they get back Gallinari this year. Still hope they will fade as they also get the juvenille delinquent Javale McGee as well.
        Should be an rollercoaster next few days
        I think Melo leaves and the Knicks tank.

2015 is the only year they have a draft pick with no restrictions in the next 3 drafts.

Then next summer and 2016 they try to lure a top free agent.

If Melo stayed and resigned himself to 2015 being a crap year for the team he would likely end up in the best situation for 2015-16. I don't think he has the patience for that though.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          I think Melo leaves and the Knicks tank.
          Then next summer and 2016 they try to lure a top free agent.

If Melo stayed and resigned himself to 2015 being a crap year for the team he would likely end up in the best situation for 2015-16. I don't think he has the patience for that though.
          Agree I think he leaves this year and gets his money. He will likely look at a contender or a psuedo-contender so my money is on either of the Bulls or Mav's.
          The pseudo contenders for Melo are in my view
          a) Miami and they have to have a lot fall into place for them and he has to sign for less than what he could get elsewhere. How would Spolestra keep enough touches for all to be happy ?
          B) The always surprising Houston Rockets will throw their names out there but its hard to see how they could manage it financially unless Melo's Men throw the Knicks a bone and work out a sign and trade that gets the Knicks some of or all of Asik + Lin + Parsons ? The right move for the Knicks is to bite the bullet and wait for 2015 and with major money make their second play for Lebron against the war chest that also awaits him in LA.

This stuff is never dull and has endless what if's.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:57 AM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            Agree I think he leaves this year and gets his money. He will likely look at a contender or a psuedo-contender so my money is on either of the Bulls or Mav's.
            The pseudo contenders for Melo are in my view
            a) Miami and they have to have a lot fall into place for them and he has to sign for less than what he could get elsewhere. How would Spolestra keep enough touches for all to be happy ?
            B) The always surprising Houston Rockets will throw their names out there but its hard to see how they could manage it financially unless Melo's Men throw the Knicks a bone and work out a sign and trade that gets the Knicks some of or all of Asik + Lin + Parsons ? The right move for the Knicks is to bite the bullet and wait for 2015 and with major money make their second play for Lebron against the war chest that also awaits him in LA.

This stuff is never dull and has endless what if's.
            LOL next summer free agency is a battle of two big market powerhouses... and sadly, we happened to have some money to play with.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
              LOL next summer free agency is a battle of two big market powerhouses... and sadly, we happened to have some money to play with.
              Unlike the other teams though, the Raptors will actually have a proven and young core in place.

Keep your head up, Raptor fans!

Money is important but a chance to win is awfully important too.

.... oh! and DRake! We gots Drake!

Comment

There's a part of me that thinks that the best way to get high draft picks is to take them from whatever team Melo is going to. I'm willing to bet that wherever he goes (with the exception of the Heat) that team reaches a ceiling of the Conference Finals and gets blown up at some point, not to far after.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                X