Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92
Results 1,821 to 1,833 of 1833

Thread: Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I was thinking specifically drafting Arujao over Igoudala.
    Ah. True. True..

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How bad is Rob Babcock? to this day he still thinks that he got a great return for VC lol smh. Go watch the Re-Imagination of VC.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I was thinking specifically drafting Arujao over Igoudala.

Here is something about those "heady" days.......

Two league sources have told SI.com that the Toronto Raptors will hire Minnesota Timberwolves' vice president of player personnel Rob Babcock as the team's next general manager. Joining Babcock in the Toronto front office will be NBA Hall of Famer Wayne Embry as the assistant general manager and former player Alex English, who will serve as the club's new director of player personnel. The team is expected to formally announce the moves on Monday.

Babcock will arrive in Toronto after spending 10 seasons with the T'wolves, the last two of which he served as general manager Kevin McHale's top assistant. Prior to becoming a team vice president, Babcock spent eight years as the club's director of player personnel and two as a scout. Embry, a four-time All-Star with the Cincinnati Royals, became the first black general manager in the league when he was hired by the Milwaukee Bucks in 1972.

Babcock was one of five candidates short-listed by the Raptors several weeks ago when the team began the process of replacing longtime GM Glen Grunwald, who was fired at the end of the season. Babcock was considered the favorite of Jack McCloskey, who served as Detroit's general manager during their back-to-back title seasons in 1989 and '90 and has been serving as the chief consultant to the Raptors during the GM hiring process. One of two finalists for the position, Babcock's chief competition for the post was Jeff Weltman, assistant GM of the Denver Nuggets. The other three executives under consideration were Philadelphia'a Tony DiLeo, former NBA player Len Elmore and Portland's Mark Warkentien, who was considered one of the early favorites and had the support of several within the Raptors organization.

When the team hesitated to hire either Babcock or Weltman after both had been interviewed a second time two weeks ago, speculation arose that the team was going to move in a different direction and possibly pursue John Hammond, the assistant general manager of the Detroit Pistons. Hammond, however, told associates in the NBA last week that he had not been contacted by the Raptors and did not expect to be a candidate for the job. Rumors also suggested that Hall of Famer Julius Erving, a favorite of Raptors star Vince Carter, was also being considered for the post. Raptors insiders, however, claim that Erving was never a candidate, although the team was interested in speaking with him about taking on a secondary role with the team.

While Toronto initially appeared to be searching for a more celebrated candidate with a stronger personality, Babcock became an option when the team was able to surround him with well-known NBA names in Embry, considered one of the most respected general managers in the league before he left the GM ranks five years ago, and English, the NBA's 11th all-time leading scorer, who served as an assistant coach with Philadelphia 76ers this season.

One of Babcock's first dutires will be to hire a coach to replace Kevin O'Neill, who was fired after the season. The Raptors' new GM will also need to decide the fate of Carter, who was sidelined for 33 games by a left quadriceps tendon strain and a strained right knee last season and has frustrated some within the organization with his failure to take charge of the team. If Carter were to be traded, it would most likely happen on NBA draft night, in conjunction with other moves. This year's draft is expected to be highly volatile; a number of players and draft picks could be traded.

Hiring Babcock should bring some order to what has been an embarrassing, month-long search process. The Raptors hope that hiring two front-office men as respected around the league as Babcock and Embry will allow them to move forward quickly.

Sports Illustrated senior writer Ian Thomsen covers the NBA beat for the magazine and is a regular contributor to SI.com.
    Bold: LOL.

I remember reading something at the time about the consultant McCloskey who also pushed for the drafting of Araujo. Babcock was new and feeling the pressure especially since he was highly recommended by McCloskey. I suppose we'll never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the celtics are signing Evan Turner. Maybe they're the sleeper team of the east? Idk

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sam17 wrote: View Post
    I hear the celtics are signing Evan Turner. Maybe they're the sleeper team of the east? Idk
    Maybe. Evan Turner makes me a sleeper all the time. Bad shots, bad defense, my eyes shut down after a couple minutes. It won't surprise me if his Celtics teammates fall asleep too.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a bunch of misfitting parts to be honest and are still rebuilding, so I don't see them in playoff contention

Where does Evan Turner fit with Gerald Wallace, Jeff Green already at SF?

They have almost no floor spacing with Rondo, Bradley, Smart, Turner in the backcourt.
    They don't have any consistent centers, or bang down low big men.

Rondo in the 2nd half of last season didn't provide too much of an impact to the team, and I'm afraid its gonna be the same this year.

There is nothing good about them to me that makes me say they are better than Cavs, Bulls, Pacers, Raps, Wizards, Hornets, Hawks, Nets, Pistons.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you not get the memo?

Boston is tanking.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Did you not get the memo?

Boston is tanking.

I find it funny that in a lineup consisting of Rondo, Smart, Turner, Olynyk, and Sulinger,

their Power Forward and Center shoot better from the 3 point line than their guards and SF.

That being said, boston has a lot of talent stacked on deck.

Bass, Bayless, Bradley, Faverani, Jeff Green, Olynyk, Pressey, Rondo, Smart, Sullinger, Thornton, James Young, and Tyler Zeller.

All very good players. I don't see why Boston aren't trying to trade for Kevin Love. He could be traded for 3 or 4 of these guys and there would still be plenty of young talent to go around.

Not to mention Keith Bogans, Gerald Wallace, and Joel Anthony as Vets. All can make solid trade pieces.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

that's why I keep saying Boston and maybe PHX for slightly different reasons are the most primed to make a series of huge moves.
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

10. Like imanshumpert liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    that's why I keep saying Boston and maybe PHX for slightly different reasons are the most primed to make a series of huge moves.

I agree with you on that. Especially for Boston and Phoenix.

Lets see what happens in the next few weeks and months.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the Celtics offseason

They overpayed for Avery Bradley
    Drafted Marcus Smart and James Young
    Traded for Marcus Thornton
    And now signed Evan Turner

But they're bigman core consist of Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, and Brandon Bass

What the hell is going on in Boston?
    Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Boston is in almost the exact same situation now as they were in 2006-07. Crappy team with a star player (this time it's Rondo instead of Pierce) and basically unlimited young prospects and picks to trade.

14. Like thead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boston has a few tough to unload assets which may look more attractive after this year...so they still might be one more season from setting fire to the team.

Rondo is 12m expiring
    Wallace still has another year after this one at around 10m
    Green has a player option that given the recent market forces he would be stupid to pick up
    Bogans has one of those sweetheart salary dump contracts (completely unguaranteed and no guarantee date)
    on top of which add innummerable picks, and several rookie deals.

Half the team looks structured to be competetitive and could be blown up to get young...the other half is trade bait that could make the veteran half a lot better.

I don't think betting on either outcome is a losing bet
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92

Thread Information