Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    why are we hearing nothing from this side of the border?
    Yea its been really quiet since we had the meeting with Kyle.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GV should be upset ...that Phoenix didnt contact him.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
        Yea its been really quiet since we had the meeting with Kyle.
        Raptors front office is tighter than DeMar and Ed Davis.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Raptors front office is tighter than DeMar and Ed Davis.
          That is very true. Since Masai has arrived shit just doesn't leak out of our camp. And the things we do hear about a lot of the time are just rumours.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• man this is driving me nuts. I feel like the longer it takes the more likely there is some kind of play being made for Houston
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KL maybe waiting to see what happens with Melo (w/Houston) ?

Comment

• For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I got question for u guys..can raptors re em burst Patterson and Vasquez contracts..ie...just let them go and use that cap money for something else,if so..why are raptors waiting,what is the biggest need of raptors,PF..Who is out there Chris Bosh and Paul Gasol,why aren't raptors more aggressive and going after these free agents,u brought in Tim Lewieke in,u brought in Drake 2 b spokesman a ambassador 2 bring these free agents,show us. Show the league that u want 2 win,don't just wait for Lowry.
                    This team as is,isn't a Championship caliber team,playoff yes..but u can b just sign Lowry and that's it,common.Other teams do get better. Kevin Love is out there,he would be nice also.
                    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• 2017 LOCKOUT I hear you calling.....

Teams With Cap Room

Now that those assumptions are in place and most of the major free agents are accounted for, here is my projection of the remaining available cap room around the league.

Philadelphia 76ers–$30.9 million

Orlando Magic–$22 million*

Los Angeles Lakers–$21 million

Phoenix Suns–$20.9 million

Charlotte Hornets–$18 million

Atlanta Hawks–$16.1 million

Dallas Mavericks–$16 million

Cleveland Cavaliers–$15 million

Utah Jazz–$13.8 million

Milwaukee Bucks–$13.1 million

Miami HEAT–$10 million

Houston Rockets–$7 million*

Detroit Pistons–$2.8 million

Look at those figures again. Even with most of the major free agents gone, there could remain as much as $218 million in cap space around the league.
                      Available Exceptions

Of course, that is nowhere near the maximum amount of money available around the league. Based on the math and what we know of teams’ luxury tax tolerance, quite a few teams will have the full mid-level exception to spend. By my projections, Boston, Denver, Indiana (partial use), Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis (likely Mike Miller), Minnesota, New York (if Carmelo leaves), Oklahoma City (possibly a partial use), Portland, San Antonio and Washington (depending on how high Ariza’s contract goes) could use the MLE. That is 11 teams. If we conservatively assume that six of them will use the full MLE and another two use part of it, that is another $35 million or so in the system.

Many teams could also use the $2.1 million Bi-Annual Exception. These include Boston, Los Angeles Clippers, New York, Portland, San Antonio and Washington (depending on Ariza again).* If four of the six use it, that’s another $8.4 million.
                      Finally, many teams trying to improve with cap room could use their $2.7 million Room Exception. These include Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles Lakers, Miami, Milwaukee, New Orleans (lost other exceptions due to going under the cap for the Omer Asik deal) and Phoenix. That is another 11 teams. All but Atlanta and Milwaukee of this group seem certain to use theirs, so let’s conservatively say nine teams. That is another $24.3 million.*
                      Now remember again that this $289 million is available to be spent with almost all of the best free agents off the market.
                      For the first three offseasons after it was enacted, many cited a depressed free agent market as the reality of the 2011 CBA. It is now clear that was an artificial reality imposed by the flat cap required to reduce the players’ percentage of BRI into the agreed-upon 49-51 percent range from the previous CBA’s 57 percent, as well as bloated longer contracts left over from the previous CBA. The shorter contracts under this new CBA will put many more free agents on the market every year. The new breed of general managers are much smarter about maintaining flexibility. The cap is now rising, and should continue to do so beyond what many have imagined. Get used to three years, $19 million as a relative “bargain” for Jodie Meeks for the foreseeable future. It is the NBA’s new reality.
                      I used a lot of this article. There is actually a lot more information in link. Be kind and click it:
                      http://www.basketballinsiders.com/en...s-new-reality/

Comment

• I'm not sure what the point of that article is, but it surely isn't that another lockout is coming. The salaries and cap are going up because revenue is through the roof. Therefore the owners are making more money than ever, even with all the increasing salaries.

And increasing salaries is not new. Any healthy league sees tremendous inflation like this. The NBA has seen similar growth before - we're just more used to the depressed inflation seen in the 2005 CBA - created shortly after and shortly before a couple financial crises.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• that Gordon deal is as baffling as it is hilarious

what are the magic even doing
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Magic apparently going after Patrick Patterson as well

"David Baumann: Source: The @Orlando Magic courting RFA Patrick Patterson as a potential starting PF. He's in ORL now."

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                              Magic apparently going after Patrick Patterson as well

"David Baumann: Source: The @Orlando Magic courting RFA Patrick Patterson as a potential starting PF. He's in ORL now."
                              S&T Ben Gordon - 2Pats , too soon?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                2017 LOCKOUT I hear you calling.....

I used a lot of this article. There is actually a lot more information in link. Be kind and click it:
                                http://www..com/enormous-contracts-a...s-new-reality/
                                I hate to say I told you do Matt but..... I told you so. More cause competitive balance or something. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X