Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Rondo had greatness around him.. can't argue with that point. But I like DeMar. I just don't think he's special. Nobody here believes DeMar is a superstar.. but from a non-superstar/all-star point of view I think Rondo is better. Rondo makes others around him better. He's not that bad of a shooter if given space.. and he is smart. I love players that are smart.

Lowry is a dick too.. and we want him back. If Lowry wasn't here and the choice was to find a PG for DeMar or a SG for Rondo I'd take the SG for Rondo because it would be easier to find and I think the team would be better off.

Also Rondo I think has more super-star friends in the league. Despite their age differences I think a super star would rather play with Rondo (because he shares the ball) than DD (who likes to keep the ball in his hands). This is totally a subjective point of view since I have no idea if DD has super star friends or not. Rondo also knows how to win. DD doesn't. That's a quality I'd love to have in a player that plays for the Raps.

When was the last time we had a guy play for the team that has a ring?
    First, I know dd is not a superstar...yet. From a all star point, demar is better. Demar can actually score the basketball. Rondo makes others around him better because he's a point guard dude. All good point guards should be able to do that. If they don't they are not good point guards. And if given space, ANY nba player should be able to hit a open shot. It's skill if they can do it with people draped on them. When people guard rondo, they sag like 2 feet away because they know he can't hit a shot on the break. He can only shoot in rhythm off a pass and he still isn't good at it.

Second, lowry is a dick on the court. Rondo is a dick off the court. There's a difference. It's a lot easier to find a pg than to find a shpg btw if you hadn't known.

Third, how the fuck does rondo have any superstar friends. All he does is talk shit about them behind their back. Why would you wanna play with a guy like that. He thinks he is the biggest shit ever. People probably like rondo as a rival friend than a actual 'friend' and dd is balling with so many superstars all the time. Him and James harden are like best friends. And he's not the only one. And rondo doesn't know how to win, he played with people who know how to win. Take him off that team and put him on the raptors 4 years ago. Dude would look like shut

And we never had a guy with a ring because we've sucked for the last like the entire existence. Why would a ringcahser want to come to a lottery team.
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      First, I know dd is not a superstar...yet. From a all star point, demar is better. Demar can actually score the basketball. Rondo makes others around him better because he's a point guard dude. All good point guards should be able to do that. If they don't they are not good point guards. And if given space, ANY nba player should be able to hit a open shot. It's skill if they can do it with people draped on them. When people guard rondo, they sag like 2 feet away because they know he can't hit a shot on the break. He can only shoot in rhythm off a pass and he still isn't good at it.
      The term superstar is subjective.. my definition is top 3-5 in the league. I don't think DD ever reaches that. He might be a franchise talent, but I wouldn't bet on it. When you define 'better' are you only looking at scoring? Getting an easy basket is my definition of better. Setting up a teammate is a skill. Not many PG's are good at it. Rondo is an elite play maker. Most PG's in the league are scorers not playmakers and there is a difference. Plus IQ means a lot in the NBA. The Spurs and Heat were in the finals for a reason - they have smart players. Rondo knows how to play the game both offensively and defensively.

As for Rondo's scoring.. he's not elite at it sure but DD is not elite at a lot of other things including defense. Yet that doesn't seem to bother you.

Second, lowry is a dick on the court. Rondo is a dick off the court. There's a difference. It's a lot easier to find a pg than to find a shpg btw if you hadn't known.
      Rondo is a dick on the court too.. but off the court how so? Is it because Ray Allen left Boston to play with Lebron and Wade? He's not a drunk, a wife beater, a drug addict. He's never had a rap sheet. Doc had a lot of good things to say about him. The off court stuff is just a bunch of rumours with no substance. What I like about Rondo is that he's not scared to go up against the best. That's who I want on the team.

The point behind this is that a duo of Rondo and DD would be hard to watch. I think it would be easier to find a SG that can play off Rondo.. basically a 3&D type of player than it would to get a PG that can handle the ball, and shoot the 3pt shot at an elite level and bring it on D. That's why I think it would be easier to find a SG that fits Rondo's style than a PG that fits DeMar's.

Third, how the fuck does rondo have any superstar friends. All he does is talk shit about them behind their back. Why would you wanna play with a guy like that. He thinks he is the biggest shit ever. People probably like rondo as a rival friend than a actual 'friend' and dd is balling with so many superstars all the time. Him and James harden are like best friends. And he's not the only one. And rondo doesn't know how to win, he played with people who know how to win. Take him off that team and put him on the raptors 4 years ago. Dude would look like shut

And we never had a guy with a ring because we've sucked for the last like the entire existence. Why would a ringcahser want to come to a lottery team.
      Rondo has been a perennial all-star and has won a ring. His skill is to set you up and make your game easier. He will do anything to win. He's been around success his whole career. That's contagious. DeMar has not. He's been on a sh!tty team for most of his career. Not his fault but winners breed winning. I'd rather have a guy that has won it than a guy who doesn't know how (yet).

Comment

The term superstar is subjective.. my definition is top 3-5 in the league. I don't think DD ever reaches that. He might be a franchise talent, but I wouldn't bet on it. When you define 'better' are you only looking at scoring? Getting an easy basket is my definition of better. Setting up a teammate is a skill. Not many PG's are good at it. Rondo is an elite play maker. Most PG's in the league are scorers not playmakers and there is a difference. Plus IQ means a lot in the NBA. The Spurs and Heat were in the finals for a reason - they have smart players. Rondo knows how to play the game both offensively and defensively.

As for Rondo's scoring.. he's not elite at it sure but DD is not elite at a lot of other things including defense. Yet that doesn't seem to bother you.

never have I said rondo is not a elite passer. Yes he is an elite passer. But that's it, that's all he got. And there's a reason not many teams have passing pg anymore. They are only effective if you surround them with supreme superstar talent around them. If the celtics don't land kev love or some other superstar this summer. Give me a shout out of how great that team is going to be because of rondo.

Not once have I mentioned dd defence, yes it does bother me, but it'd rather his suspect defence than rajon 'need superstars to win' rondo lack of offence other than passes and lay ups

Rondo is a dick on the court too.. but off the court how so? Is it because Ray Allen left Boston to play with Lebron and Wade? He's not a drunk, a wife beater, a drug addict. He's never had a rap sheet. Doc had a lot of good things to say about him. The off court stuff is just a bunch of rumours with no substance. What I like about Rondo is that he's not scared to go up against the best. That's who I want on the team.

The point behind this is that a duo of Rondo and DD would be hard to watch. I think it would be easier to find a SG that can play off Rondo.. basically a 3&D type of player than it would to get a PG that can handle the ball, and shoot the 3pt shot at an elite level and bring it on D. That's why I think it would be easier to find a SG that fits Rondo's style than a PG that fits DeMar's.

he straight up told Perkins that cp3 sucks because he always has the ball in his hands than perk told the media. -_- it's not just rumors there is substance in them

Do you think that dd is afraid to go up against the best hahaha if you do. All nba players are competitors dude, of course they wanna play the best

We'll we actually have ross so that is a 3 and d guy. Do you think that is going to be a championship level backcourt? It will if you have Lebrun at the 3. There's no way a 3 and d guy and rondo can lead you to a championship. It took rondo a 3 and d player (Allen) a long with prime pierce and kg to win a championship. Take that into account buddy. As for finding a pg to fit dd, we actually have 2 right now. Albeit gv is terrible at defence, he is just as good a passer (probably a little worse) as rondo and he can actually shoot a three and there are 2 pg in JuST this draft that fit the bill. Payton and ennis.

Rondo has been a perennial all-star and has won a ring. His skill is to set you up and make your game easier. He will do anything to win. He's been around success his whole career. That's contagious. DeMar has not. He's been on a sh!tty team for most of his career. Not his fault but winners breed winning. I'd rather have a guy that has won it than a guy who doesn't know how (yet).

rondo is only a perennial all star and won a ring because he played with 3 future hofs to get it man. Nobody would bat an eye if he put up the same numbers on the bobcats. Playing for the celtics really boosted his value. And it is not demars fault he was a sought after prospect that got drafted early on to a lottery team. I'm sorry about that, I guess the way to go is to make sure you get drafted late in draft to make sure you make it to a team that is already stacked. You know to breed a winning character.
        I still don't understand how you can want rondo over dd other than just wanting him gone for no reason

It's like a clique thing, one person wants him gone and than everybody thinks it's cool so they say the same.

Quote me on this rondo will never win another championship/make it to the playoffs if he is the best player on the team. He needs superstars and amazing talent around him
        Last edited by yabadabayolo; Tue Jun 24, 2014, 12:09 PM.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Rondo has been a perennial all-star and has won a ring. His skill is to set you up and make your game easier. He will do anything to win. (space between bolds) He's been around success his whole career. That's contagious. DeMar has not. He's been on a sh!tty team for most of his career. Not his fault but winners breed winning. I'd rather have a guy that has won it than a guy who doesn't know how (yet).
          Bold 1: Being a good playmaker is certainly a big asset to have in the game, but is hardly the only facet of a complex game that makes a player "better". Many different skills are needed in a successful team game, and if you don't have elite scorers who can make plays for themselves, you'll never go far.

Bold 2: Does getting suspended 4 times in 11 months, 3 of them for throwing balls/chest bumping officials count in his IQ rating? Pretty selfish and team-dumb if you ask me.

Bold 3: Like getting suspended over and over, or taking a vacation in Mexico when suspended 2 games, instead of working on his game, with his team. Or showing the rest of his team how hard working and serious he is, by coming out for warmups with untied shoes and practicing his left handed FTs. A model teammate for sure.

Bold 4: Except when he doesn't have 3 HOFers near their peak around him.

Bold 5: It might mean something if he'd shown he knows how to win without 3 HOFers around him, and with a HOF coach. He hasn't, so what has he learned from this winning? If that's such a key point to you, I'd rather a guy who never takes a day off, and who can actually stay on the court, even when he isn't suspended. In his last 4 years, Rondo:
          2010-11: missed 14 games
          2011-12: missed 13 games out of 66
          2012-13: missed 44 games
          2013-14: missed 52 games

DeMar has missed 11 games in 5 seasons

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Just watching a bit of NBA tv and saw that Luol Deng was in town attending a celebration event MU was organizing for Nelson Mandela. Though I admit I the details on MU's involvement are hazy as I wasn't paying attention. I'm thinking he would be a great fit with the Raptors at this stage.
            So whats better ? Because there is only enough budget for one.
            3 years of Deng at 10M per
            or
            4 years of Kyle at 11M per
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              So whats better ? Because there is only enough budget for one.
              3 years of Deng at 10M per
              or
              4 years of Kyle at 11M per
              Is that still the case if Raptors don't pick up options or sign Salmons, Hayes, PP? I would be okay with seeing those guys as well as maybe Vasquez go if it was to clear space for Deng. Vasquez is the only real roster spot that would need to be filled with a quality guy since Deng would be replacing what PP gives.

Comment

Is that still the case if Raptors don't pick up options or sign Salmons, Hayes, PP? I would be okay with seeing those guys as well as maybe Vasquez go if it was to clear space for Deng. Vasquez is the only real roster spot that would need to be filled with a quality guy since Deng would be replacing what PP gives.
                I'm pretty sure we could sign both as long as we sign Deng first to go up to the cap, then sign Lowry next to go over the cap using his bird rights.

I don't really want Deng though. Declining FG%. Poor 3pt shooter (we need a good one next to DD). Too expensive. He will also be almost 30 by the time the season starts, and hasn't played a full season since 2010-11. If we're getting a wing who can't shoot the 3 I'd rather pay half or less for someone like Aminu who still has some upside and isn't injury prone.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  I'm pretty sure we could sign both as long as we sign Deng first to go up to the cap, then sign Lowry next to go over the cap using his bird rights.

I don't really want Deng though. Declining FG%. Poor 3pt shooter (we need a good one next to DD). Too expensive. He will also be almost 30 by the time the season starts, and hasn't played a full season since 2010-11. If we're getting a wing who can't shoot the 3 I'd rather pay half or less for someone like Aminu who still has some upside and isn't injury prone.
                  Bird Rights don't work like that. Until we sign Lowry he has a cap hold that sits on the cap and prevents us from using it. So if we want to sign both, we need cap room for both.

That said, if we let our other free agents walk (PP, GV, deColo), then we would have 18.7M to split between the two. So assuming they make the same starting salary, we could offer Lowry a 5 year, 53.7M deal and Deng a 4 year, 39.9M deal. Then we'd need 4 more guys signed at the minimum and with the room MLE. 2 of those could be our 2nd rounders.

That said, I don't want Deng, would rather have PP and GV.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

Deng is a bit older than I would like, but keep in mind it wasn't until after we added veterans last year that we started to play better (plus he's not thaaaat old). Deng has battled some injuries, but in the Chicago where starters get ridden like horses you have to expect that. He's sort of been in limbo the last few years with Rose getting injured in Chicago and then being shipped to the mess that's in Clevland.

I think he could thrive in a system oriented team like the Raptors.

Comment

Deng is a bit older than I would like,
                      Kyle is 28.. Old man Deng is 29

We have been looking for a high calibre SF type since the days of Tracy McGrady. We can look to draft one again, but Deng should have 3 years left in the tank for sure. Just not sure he signs with us for 30 over 3.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 24, 2014, 02:42 PM.
                      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        Kyle is 28.. Old man Deng is 29

We have been looking for a high calibre SF type since the days of Tracy McGrady. We can look to draft one again, but Deng should have 3 years left in the tank for sure. Just not sure he signs with us for 30 over 3.
                        He may be 29 but Deng has a lot of mileage on him, Thibs used to run him into the ground in Chicago
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          He may be 29 but Deng has a lot of mileage on him, Thibs used to run him into the ground in Chicago
                          So true ! Jimmy Butler must be wondering if he can play 46 a game again next year.
                          Deng has pretty much had this year off. Playing in Cleveland with nothing on the line may have healed some of those Thibodeau miles. If he would come to play fo 3 over 30 I personally would be happy with that.
                          - TGO

Comment

Rondo had greatness around him.. can't argue with that point. But I like DeMar. I just don't think he's special. Nobody here believes DeMar is a superstar.. but from a non-superstar/all-star point of view I think Rondo is better. Rondo makes others around him better. He's not that bad of a shooter if given space.. and he is smart. I love players that are smart.

Lowry is a dick too.. and we want him back. If Lowry wasn't here and the choice was to find a PG for DeMar or a SG for Rondo I'd take the SG for Rondo because it would be easier to find and I think the team would be better off.

Also Rondo I think has more super-star friends in the league. Despite their age differences I think a super star would rather play with Rondo (because he shares the ball) than DD (who likes to keep the ball in his hands). This is totally a subjective point of view since I have no idea if DD has super star friends or not. Rondo also knows how to win. DD doesn't. That's a quality I'd love to have in a player that plays for the Raps.

When was the last time we had a guy play for the team that has a ring?
                            Finding a shooting guard is easier than finding a point guard? I think we're watching two different sports.

Comment

What is wrong with Teague ?

Comment

I still don't understand how you can want rondo over dd other than just wanting him gone for no reason

It's like a clique thing, one person wants him gone and than everybody thinks it's cool so they say the same.

Quote me on this rondo will never win another championship/make it to the playoffs if he is the best player on the team. He needs superstars and amazing talent around him
                                I think Rondo is better than DeMar.. and I think Rondo will be better than DeMar in 3/4 years. We can argue about it but that's how I feel.

But I like DeMar and would never trade him for the 'sake of trading him'... but the question is who would I rather have DeMar or Rajon.. my answer would be Rajon.

Comment

Working...
                                X