No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so the whole issue revolves around Mike Miller then?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Ok, so the whole issue revolves around Mike Miller then?
      It was a trust issue. All three took less to get a Mike Miller then he was amnestied to save money.

Comment

• But how much more did they add since (signing) Mike Miller?

And name me a successful team that makes decisions based on player directives?

Comment

• If they were committed to spending, they would've used Miller's expiring in a trade to acquire another player with less injury issues.

Comment

• Alright, so one decision tells all. Does this mean then that if I see you buy a Big Mac at McDonald's then I can conclude you're committed to obesity and heart disease?

Comment

Alright, so one decision tells all. Does this mean then that if I see you buy a Big Mac at McDonald's then I can conclude you're committed to obesity and heart disease?
              It's not the only reason LBJ left but it's part of it.

Comment

Alright, so one decision tells all. Does this mean then that if I see you buy a Big Mac at McDonald's then I can conclude you're committed to obesity and heart disease?
                no but you can with 100% certainty conclude that with 22 minutes of me eating said Big Mac I will be in a washroom performing what can only be described as the title of Daniel Day Lewis's last Oscar Winning film
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                  It's not the only reason LBJ left but it's part of it.
                  I think Mike Miller had nothing to do with it at all. If it were all about capabilities of management to build a winner around LeBron then he would have never went back to Cleveland. Those teams they built around him in Cleveland were crap compared to the Heat.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    no but you can with 100% certainty conclude that with 22 minutes of me eating said Big Mac I will be in a washroom performing what can only be described as the title of Daniel Day Lewis's last Oscar Winning film
                    When your fully capped out amnestying a higher than mid-level player means never filling that hole with the current salary structure. Only way is through trade which means losing assets. The writing was on the wall with the Miller amnesty, things are going to get worse.

Comment

• My take is that ultimately Gilbert promised to spend while Arison probably balked. Both are businessmen but Lebron could do more to leverage Gilbert's Quicken Loan brand name than the Arison Carnival Cruise Lines. And then of course there is the going home stuff and the much better talent on the Cavs. Lebron saw the Heat and felt he had a better chance to win with Cleveland. Wonder how Bosh & Wade feel about that deep down.

Comment

• I personally think it represents the failure of the three star model. Supporting casts are near impossible to assemble around them. Two stars are a lot easier to fill in gaps around
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

In your vision do you see who they should have signed and for how much? It's easy to toss out the criticism but let's see the supporting information on your stance.
                          You are asking me to do a lot of work creating fake trade ideas. And I kind of don't see the point. I'm not sure what you disagree with. Do you disagree that there are decent players on bad contracts that become available each year for next to nothing? Do you disagree that a team has ways to raise their payroll, if they really want it? Do you think that Miami had a good talented rotation outside the big 3? Like, do you think that Joel Anthony, Norris Cole, Rashard Lewis are good enough to play significant minutes in the playoffs for a title contender?

I think if there's confusion or disagreement about some particular aspect, it would be more productive for me to focus on that aspect and explain my opinion, rather than spend an hour creating fake trade ideas. There's a hundred of them that we could come up with, it's just kind of pointless.

I can give you an example of what they could've done this summer (if the Big 3 stayed together). Just off the top of my head, no research, so some detail could be wrong. I think they have Battier Bird rights by now. Offer him a huge 3 year deal (only the 1st year has to be guaranteed) and sign and trade him for Eric Gordon, Tyreke Evans, Josh Smith or Ilyasova. All 4 are overpaid players on long term contracts,and their teams might want to clear cap space. Either of them would be a very good role player and a major upgrade compared to Miami's 2014 rotation. If not one of these two, then there are plenty of other quality players who are overpaid.

Something similar could've been done last summer. Create an expiring and add several picks, offer that for Omer Asik or Gortat.

These are the type of moves that Dan Gilbert or Cuban were willing to make, and Micky Arison was not.

I won't create a bunch of specific trade ideas, that's way too time consuming. Ultimately I don't think these fake ideas matter. There are plenty of real life examples of such trades in recent years. Joe Johnson for expirings and a pick, Okafor and Ariza for expirings, Rudy Gay for expirings and small assets, that same Gortat for an expiring and a pick, Courtney Lee for an expiring and I believe a 2nd rounder (btw, Courtney would've been awesome in Miami instead of Shane Battier this year).

Basically, the type of trades that Miami was never willing to make.

And creating an expiring is very easy, if you plan for it.

Now look, I think we might be losing the focus here a little. I'm not saying that Micky Arison should've spent that money. It's not my money. He did spend some money. He went into tax, he had one of the high spending teams overall. If that's all he could afford to do, fair enough.

I'm just saying that I look at Cleveland, and I see an owner who's maybe a dick but he's willing to spend more than Arison did, and I also see a collection of great young talent. Then I look at a declining Heat roster and a cheaper owner who can't come up with anything more than a Josh McBob. And it's not a hard choice at that point. So I wouldn't be surprised if the owner's willingness to spend played a role in LeBron's decision.

Micky Arison is no worse an owner than most of them. But a player who's chasing the GOAT would probably want an owner with more ambition and a wide open wallet.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                            My take is that ultimately Gilbert promised to spend while Arison probably balked. Both are businessmen but Lebron could do more to leverage Gilbert's Quicken Loan brand name than the Arison Carnival Cruise Lines. And then of course there is the going home stuff and the much better talent on the Cavs. Lebron saw the Heat and felt he had a better chance to win with Cleveland. Wonder how Bosh & Wade feel about that deep down.
                            It would be interesting to see how teams are funded. Like Sperling - Slum Lord to Dolan - HBO.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              I personally think it represents the failure of the three star model. Supporting casts are near impossible to assemble around them. Two stars are a lot easier to fill in gaps around
                              I sure hope so, gotta spread the talent around!!

Comment

• in fact if Houston kept their current setup..and added Millsap at 10m kept Ariza at 8 and kept Beverley. That starting lineup would be both strong defensively, versatile offensively, and you could still afford a half decent bench with exceptions and rookies.

Comment

Working...
                                X