No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Lowry does walk, I would like the idea of bringing in Deng. A starting five of
    Vasquez, DeRozan, Deng, Amir, and Jonas with Ross coming off the bench and possibly drafting Ennis doesn't sound too bad.

Deng was just at Masai's function as well but I haven't heard anything in the rumor mill about him... I know the event had nothing to do with Raptors, but it still intrigued me that he was there.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
      If Lowry does walk, I would like the idea of bringing in Deng. A starting five of
      Vasquez, DeRozan, Deng, Amir, and Jonas with Ross coming off the bench and possibly drafting Ennis doesn't sound too bad.

Deng was just at Masai's function as well but I haven't heard anything in the rumor mill about him... I know the event had nothing to do with Raptors, but it still intrigued me that he was there.
      Not a fan of signing deng at all. He's an okay 3 point shooter and especially if Lowry walks, that starting line up's best shooter is a streaky Vasquez. Teams would play us zone all day. We need spacing from our 3, which is why putting Ross in worked.

Comment

Nope, if Lowry walks, we need an upgrade at PG above all else - go all in for Bledsoe, or if that fails, the team as constructed will struggle. So if no Bledsoe, tear it down. Deng doesn't solve any of our issues - he's not the defender Thibodeau makes him seem, and he's just as inefficient as DD offensively.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If Lowry walks you don't blow it up, and you don't go all in on Bledsoe/Deng/Monroe/etc. You bring back GV, get a guy like Sessions as backup PG.. then go into free agency in 2015 with lots of cash and then sign Rondo. Or scour the trade market for a good PG on a team that isn't going anywhere (Teague from Atlanta, possibly Lawson from Denver).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            If Lowry walks you don't blow it up, and you don't go all in on Bledsoe/Deng/Monroe/etc. You bring back GV, get a guy like Sessions as backup PG.. then go into free agency in 2015 with lots of cash and then sign Rondo. Or scour the trade market for a good PG on a team that isn't going anywhere (Teague from Atlanta, possibly Lawson from Denver).
            Yuck. So, waste this year entirely? Or overpay with assets to get an established PG? You either go all in with this core, or you rebuild. Incremental steps only work if they are in the right direction. With Lowry gone, the only way to keep moving forward is to add top talent immediately. Even with Bledsoe in the fold, you still have enough cap room in 2015 to make a splash (not a max guy, but a solid Lowry-level player). If you can't build immediately, there's no point in putting together a .500 team.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

if lowry walks and we did manage to get one of Dragic/Bledsoe i don't think it'd be the big step back everyone else does
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                if lowry walks and we did manage to get one of Dragic/Bledsoe i don't think it'd be the big step back everyone else does
                I agree on Bledsoe - at the very least, it's pretty close to a wash talent wise, and Bledsoe is quite young. I'd be less pleased with Dragic, but he's close to Lowry's level as well.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

100% with ya on that, but wouldnt mind bringing Isaiah Thomas see what hes asking/looking for

Comment

i don't think Thomas is a FA
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i don't think Thomas is a FA
                      He's a restricted free agent

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Rondo will be going to partner up with whatever star(s) possible.

He isn't coming to Toronto.

..... and DD is not the "star" other stars go to partner with - at least not yet.

Comment

I'm still optimistic that Lowry's coming back. And based on his personality, there's not better place than Toronto: Here, he's the leader, the coach, gm, owner and teammates are on his side, fans and the nation love him.

I also hope we get Greivis and 2Pat back. They are key players too. Greivis is our Manu Ginobili. Maybe 2Pat can develop into a Boris Diaw.

I think Deng and Ariza are expensive. If we're keeping Lowry, how about Thabo Sefolosha? Like Deng and Ariza, he's a great defender. He can also hit 3's. And he's got the size to guard the likes of Lebron, Joe johnson, Paul George, etc.

Comment

thabo suxxxxxxxxxxx
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              Yuck. So, waste this year entirely? Or overpay with assets to get an established PG? You either go all in with this core, or you rebuild. Incremental steps only work if they are in the right direction. With Lowry gone, the only way to keep moving forward is to add top talent immediately. Even with Bledsoe in the fold, you still have enough cap room in 2015 to make a splash (not a max guy, but a solid Lowry-level player). If you can't build immediately, there's no point in putting together a .500 team.
                              It's being patient. And one thing we didn't have with BC is patience. Losing Lowry would be a severe blow. I suspect anywhere between 8-11th seed in the East. Bledsoe is going to cost a lot because he's an RFA. Spending a lot on him could create an Eric Gordon type of situation in New Orleans. Being capped out with no options. Bledsoe is also not that great (he sure had a good contract year despite his injuries though).

The Raptors still have a young team with JV/TR and the 2014 pick, and possibly a good 2015 pick so there is still growth to be had. They will also have a really good trade chip or asset to help attract talent.

Last thing I want to do is wasting cap space on mediocre talent that will be difficult to build around or to trade without getting worse. I think Bledsoe's contract will make him very difficult to trade. I think Deng is too old. Monroe wont' work with JV. Hayward duplicates talent we have. I just don't see a free agent out there that's worthwhile to keep moving in the same direction as last season without Lowry in toe.

With regards to wasting assets.. it really depends on those assets. Cap space is an asset too and using that on a guy like Bledsoe who might command $13M is probably worse than giving up a future first for a guy like Teague or Lawson.

I also don't think they need to blow it up. I mean the only guy you blow up is DeMar I guess, but I don't think he moves the dial that much for the win/loss column to have any affect.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                Rondo will be going to partner up with whatever star(s) possible.

He isn't coming to Toronto.

..... and DD is not the "star" other stars go to partner with - at least not yet.
                                Toronto was linked to a Rondo rumour last season. Toronto has no stars but without Lowry, Toronto could have enough cap space in 2015 for two stars who might want to play together (say Rondo and Love for example).

Comment

Working...
                                X