No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the reason Gortat deal is good is because he has spent the majority of his career at a backup so there is not a lot of wear and tear. Second reason I think it's good, he relies on his strength and IQ more then freak athleticism. The deal may not be ideal in his 4th and 5th year but I doubt the drop off is huge. Also its the cost of getting the first three years
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
      Looks like LeBron is cock blocking everyone again.. just like in 2010.

C'mon free agency, we need more action! Fuck LeBron, you got no chance to sign him anyway
      read an article that basically said all the teams should head hunting all the top free agents in advance so that Miami can't do shit to round out their super team with
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Avery Bradley just signed for 8M per year. If Bradley is worth 8M, I shudder to think of what the final offer for Lowry will be.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Another tuff guy is getting paid

Comment

• Avery Bradley re-ups with the Celtics for four years, $32 million.

Between him and Meeks this is starting to look like the Year of the Mid-Level Overpay. (Gortat was a bit questionable but not too bad; Livingston got exactly what he deserved.)

Comment

• These contracts are ridiculous.

This is the fall out of GMs clearing cap space for the last few years in anticipation of big free agents.

Those that fail are left with money burning a hole in their pocket.

Big congratulations to the players but this does not bode well for 2017.

As for Lowry, I hope they can agree to a base of something like $11M and then load it up with performance incentives like games played and All-NBA, AllStar, etc. If he ends up making the incentives, great, if not, no huge loss. Although, and DanH can correct me if I'm wrong, the incentives count towards cap hit I believe.

I've mentally prepared myself for 5 years and $60M.

Comment

• Incentives count against the cap hit (Chicago was making moves last year to avoid falling into the tax as Joakim Noah hit his incentives) but frankly $12m per year for five years was perfectly reasonable before the Year of the Overpay and it'll be perfectly reasonable now, especially with the way the cap is jumping upwards every year.

UPDATE: Pacers sign Damjan Rudez to a three-year deal using part of their MLE; they apparently want to sign CJ Miles with the rest of it, and given Miles made 2.25 million last year with Cleveland and played respectably you have to figure they're saving $3m or so of it for him. Rudez probably got 1.5-2 per year.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                  I love Lance, if he leaves the Pacers, Raptors have to be favorite for 2nd seed.
                  What if Lance goes to Atlanta? I can easily see that happening if Atlanta can't get Deng. The fact ATL isn't mentioned in the Lance rumors makes it more likely. Ferry plays it very close to the vest, just like Masai. That Millsap signing last year came out of nowhere.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                    Incentives count against the cap hit (Chicago was making moves last year to avoid falling into the tax as Joakim Noah hit his incentives) but frankly $12m per year for five years was perfectly reasonable before the Year of the Overpay and it'll be perfectly reasonable now, especially with the way the cap is jumping upwards every year.

UPDATE: Pacers sign Damjan Rudez to a three-year deal using part of their MLE; they apparently want to sign CJ Miles with the rest of it, and given Miles made 2.25 million last year with Cleveland and played respectably you have to figure they're saving $3m or so of it for him. Rudez probably got 1.5-2 per year.
                    Not only do incentives count against the tax calculation if they are realized, they also count against the apron calculation even if they are considered unlikely to be achieved. So you could end up hard capped well below the apron, or unable to use the MLE even though you are below it, because those incentives artificially increase your salary figures.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• With the new TV deal coming up soon, teams are overpaying anticipating a larger than usual salary cap increase in the coming years.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                        With the new TV deal coming up soon, teams are overpaying anticipating a larger than usual salary cap increase in the coming years.
                        New TV deal doesn't start until 2016-17 season. Seems a tad early to be planning on those revenues offsetting these mid level overpays. Some serious forward thinking at least. I doubt Boston's mindset was "this Bradley deal won't look so bad in 2016-17 when the cap goes up". More likely, if we don't make a strong offer now Bradley will go a true contender instead of going through this bullshit rebuild.

Comment

• Ben Gordon signs a two-year deal with Orlando, total value $9m, which is $9m more than I thought any NBA team would ever pay him again.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                            Ben Gordon signs a two-year deal with Orlando, total value $9m, which is $9m more than I thought any NBA team would ever pay him again.
                            Terrible signing.
                            Myself (March 2014):
                            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• what is going on with the spending...Gordon Hayward is about to get a max deal from Cleveland...fuck my face right off

Comment

• If Hayward is getting the max Lowry is gonna ask for the max...fml.

Comment

Working...
                                X