Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Post Thanks / Like

if lowry walks and we did manage to get one of Dragic/Bledsoe i don't think it'd be the big step back everyone else does
    @jerboat

2. Like Puffer, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    if lowry walks and we did manage to get one of Dragic/Bledsoe i don't think it'd be the big step back everyone else does
    I agree on Bledsoe - at the very least, it's pretty close to a wash talent wise, and Bledsoe is quite young. I'd be less pleased with Dragic, but he's close to Lowry's level as well.

Raptors Republic Rookie jarvis295's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

100% with ya on that, but wouldnt mind bringing Isaiah Thomas see what hes asking/looking for

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think Thomas is a FA
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie TdotRTZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think Thomas is a FA
    He's a restricted free agent
    Fuck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    If Lowry walks you don't blow it up, and you don't go all in on Bledsoe/Deng/Monroe/etc. You bring back GV, get a guy like Sessions as backup PG.. then go into free agency in 2015 with lots of cash and then sign Rondo. Or scour the trade market for a good PG on a team that isn't going anywhere (Teague from Atlanta, possibly Lawson from Denver).
    Rondo will be going to partner up with whatever star(s) possible.

He isn't coming to Toronto.

..... and DD is not the "star" other stars go to partner with - at least not yet.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still optimistic that Lowry's coming back. And based on his personality, there's not better place than Toronto: Here, he's the leader, the coach, gm, owner and teammates are on his side, fans and the nation love him.

I also hope we get Greivis and 2Pat back. They are key players too. Greivis is our Manu Ginobili. Maybe 2Pat can develop into a Boris Diaw.

I think Deng and Ariza are expensive. If we're keeping Lowry, how about Thabo Sefolosha? Like Deng and Ariza, he's a great defender. He can also hit 3's. And he's got the size to guard the likes of Lebron, Joe johnson, Paul George, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

thabo suxxxxxxxxxxx
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Yuck. So, waste this year entirely? Or overpay with assets to get an established PG? You either go all in with this core, or you rebuild. Incremental steps only work if they are in the right direction. With Lowry gone, the only way to keep moving forward is to add top talent immediately. Even with Bledsoe in the fold, you still have enough cap room in 2015 to make a splash (not a max guy, but a solid Lowry-level player). If you can't build immediately, there's no point in putting together a .500 team.
    It's being patient. And one thing we didn't have with BC is patience. Losing Lowry would be a severe blow. I suspect anywhere between 8-11th seed in the East. Bledsoe is going to cost a lot because he's an RFA. Spending a lot on him could create an Eric Gordon type of situation in New Orleans. Being capped out with no options. Bledsoe is also not that great (he sure had a good contract year despite his injuries though).

The Raptors still have a young team with JV/TR and the 2014 pick, and possibly a good 2015 pick so there is still growth to be had. They will also have a really good trade chip or asset to help attract talent.

Last thing I want to do is wasting cap space on mediocre talent that will be difficult to build around or to trade without getting worse. I think Bledsoe's contract will make him very difficult to trade. I think Deng is too old. Monroe wont' work with JV. Hayward duplicates talent we have. I just don't see a free agent out there that's worthwhile to keep moving in the same direction as last season without Lowry in toe.

With regards to wasting assets.. it really depends on those assets. Cap space is an asset too and using that on a guy like Bledsoe who might command $13M is probably worse than giving up a future first for a guy like Teague or Lawson.

I also don't think they need to blow it up. I mean the only guy you blow up is DeMar I guess, but I don't think he moves the dial that much for the win/loss column to have any affect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Rondo will be going to partner up with whatever star(s) possible.

He isn't coming to Toronto.

..... and DD is not the "star" other stars go to partner with - at least not yet.
    Toronto was linked to a Rondo rumour last season. Toronto has no stars but without Lowry, Toronto could have enough cap space in 2015 for two stars who might want to play together (say Rondo and Love for example).

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto was linked to a Rondo rumour last season. Toronto has no stars but without Lowry, Toronto could have enough cap space in 2015 for two stars who might want to play together (say Rondo and Love for example).
    we don't have the clout for that sadly, not without a really good season this year. we need people to notice us before we're a destination for stars.

there's a ton of teams with cap space and a half-decent roster, that's not gonna be enough.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It's being patient. And one thing we didn't have with BC is patience. Losing Lowry would be a severe blow. I suspect anywhere between 8-11th seed in the East. Bledsoe is going to cost a lot because he's an RFA. Spending a lot on him could create an Eric Gordon type of situation in New Orleans. Being capped out with no options. Bledsoe is also not that great (he sure had a good contract year despite his injuries though).

The Raptors still have a young team with JV/TR and the 2014 pick, and possibly a good 2015 pick so there is still growth to be had. They will also have a really good trade chip or asset to help attract talent.

Last thing I want to do is wasting cap space on mediocre talent that will be difficult to build around or to trade without getting worse. I think Bledsoe's contract will make him very difficult to trade. I think Deng is too old. Monroe wont' work with JV. Hayward duplicates talent we have. I just don't see a free agent out there that's worthwhile to keep moving in the same direction as last season without Lowry in toe.

With regards to wasting assets.. it really depends on those assets. Cap space is an asset too and using that on a guy like Bledsoe who might command $13M is probably worse than giving up a future first for a guy like Teague or Lawson.

I also don't think they need to blow it up. I mean the only guy you blow up is DeMar I guess, but I don't think he moves the dial that much for the win/loss column to have any affect.
    Well, to me you either waste the next year (DD would NOT take another losing year well at all), leaving you with ONE year to convince DD to stay, losing the final year of Amir's contract (and having to convince him to stay on a losing team, possibly losing him or having to overpay), and ending up with a middling late lotto or just-outside-the-lotto pick...

Or you avoid that treadmill status (no "winning culture", no high pick, no lure for free agents, none of your own players happy) and go one of two ways - you pay a premium for talent that could well get better (Bledsoe), knowing that the cap is rising quickly and a 14M deal for Bledsoe really isn't going to kill you long term, not as much as devaluing your other assets; or you trade away those assets that would be devalued (Amir and DD - both are too close to the end of their contracts) now while their value is high, get picks and young prospects in return, and build around JV and Ross, and then look to move pieces like GV and Patman (for the right price), as well as our expirings, closer to the deadline.

14. Like mcHAPPY, stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rondo is not a star -_- he is a above average pg that can't shoot for shit. that's it. All he has is his passes.

I don't want him to ever dawn a raptors jersey, from what I read he's also kind of a dick. If you put him on the currently constructed team, we would be lucky to win 40 games.

Where's the spacing in a rondo dd ross Amir Jv starting lineup. All you have is ross and he can't even space the floor on a consistent basis. That sounds terrible.
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Linked to Toronto via trade. Big difference. Trade is not his choice, free agency is all his choice.

Raps won't have enough cap space for 2 max/near max free agents if Lowry resigns unless Lowry, JV, Ross, and DD are only ones on roster.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Well, to me you either waste the next year (DD would NOT take another losing year well at all), leaving you with ONE year to convince DD to stay, losing the final year of Amir's contract (and having to convince him to stay on a losing team, possibly losing him or having to overpay), and ending up with a middling late lotto or just-outside-the-lotto pick...

Or you avoid that treadmill status (no "winning culture", no high pick, no lure for free agents, none of your own players happy) and go one of two ways - you pay a premium for talent that could well get better (Bledsoe), knowing that the cap is rising quickly and a 14M deal for Bledsoe really isn't going to kill you long term, not as much as devaluing your other assets; or you trade away those assets that would be devalued (Amir and DD - both are too close to the end of their contracts) now while their value is high, get picks and young prospects in return, and build around JV and Ross, and then look to move pieces like GV and Patman (for the right price), as well as our expirings, closer to the deadline.
    DD isn't a superstar.. convincing him to stay or leave will be there even if they win. Him leaving isn't going to tear apart the team. I think he's good just not a guy that's super important for a championship team. Amir is a role player. I don't think you have to do much convincing to keep him around. And even if the team sucks.. their stock won't change much. DD will always be labeled as an all-star.. And Amir will always be labeled as an analytic dream.

The treadmill status is defined by being a 7-11 team with no way to improve. The Raptors will have a sh!t load of cap space for once. Hell even the Pistons can get free agents. Just need to get the right talent and Toronto should be able to especially with TL around.

$14M is a terrible deal for Bledsoe.. sorry that would making me vomit. Yeah sure cap space will go up.. but that's ridiculous. We are talking about the same Eric Bledsoe right? A 6'1 PG/SG that was coming off the bench for the Clippers? A guy that only played in 43 games last season in a contract year? And before that hasn't really done much in the league. He might be special.. but that's a really big risk in my opinion.

I'd feel better about the team without $14M going to Bledsoe and having much less money in 2015 than I would with just going into next season with the same team without Lowry.. Just my personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Linked to Toronto via trade. Big difference. Trade is not his choice, free agency is all his choice.

Raps won't have enough cap space for 2 max/near max free agents if Lowry resigns unless Lowry, JV, Ross, and DD are only ones on roster.
    They'd have room if Lowry doesn't resign.. You only go after Rondo if Lowry isn't here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Rondo is not a star -_- he is a above average pg that can't shoot for shit. that's it. All he has is his passes.

I don't want him to ever dawn a raptors jersey, from what I read he's also kind of a dick. If you put him on the currently constructed team, we would be lucky to win 40 games.

Where's the spacing in a rondo dd ross Amir Jv starting lineup. All you have is ross and he can't even space the floor on a consistent basis. That sounds terrible.
    Rondo is fine.. he's not a super star but he's a multiple all-star. Rondo can attract other stars. I'd rather have Rondo than DD.. if spacing is an issue trade DD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    we don't have the clout for that sadly, not without a really good season this year. we need people to notice us before we're a destination for stars.

there's a ton of teams with cap space and a half-decent roster, that's not gonna be enough.
    TL is our star

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rondo is fine.. he's not a super star but he's a multiple all-star. Rondo can attract other stars. I'd rather have Rondo than DD.. if spacing is an issue trade DD.
    Please tell me what dd is? Last i checked hes an allstar who should go back multiple times.

Whos younger? Oh yeah dd is

Whos played with 3 future hof? Oh yea rondo has right. Compare allen pierce and kg to fucking sunny weems james johnson and jose calderone.

One last thing, whos improved every year since coming into the league? Oh shit i think it might be dd. I heard hes improving his threepointer too!

Like honestly, i dont understand why you guys hate dd much and would take rondo over him. Pg thr deepest postion in the whole fucking league while sg is sooooooo thin right now.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

They'd have room if Lowry doesn't resign.. You only go after Rondo if Lowry isn't here.
    Right. My bad.
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information