Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Basketball

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    That's fiba, for IOC (olympics) he has to wait 3 years.

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Apologies for being a bit of a buzzkiller...but joining/playing for the national team is fast becoming a bit of an anachronism. In case we have forgotten most if not all athletes performing at the Olympics in the "popular" sports (team or individual) are highly/very highly paid professional athletes. I am not referring to water polo or fencing of course and such there are great competing interests involved not least of which is the individual athlete concerned about his/hers ability to perform best for those who pay their salaries...or else.

The lure of national pride still exists of course and will continue for awhile as long as it is a once in 4 yr. commitment. But its more and more becoming an effort for personal gain I believe. A gold medal winning athlete gets a better paying endorsement than not. Sticking with basketball, joining/playing for the Canada basketball team is not just an olympic year commitment but joining the team for practices and playing qualifying games during each of the intervening years. Tough call for the players especially those who have a prominent role on their NBA team.

As an aside...following the soccer world cup, many an analyst has prognosticated that a big reason Messi did not have a particularly good tournament (at least by his standards) is that he was quite worn out...not just by the close marking by opposing teams but by the brutal schedule he had to endure in club and euro soccer prior to this tournament. Fiba of course milks its players and soccer leagues big time and then they have to play in the world cup. Refusal of course unacceptable.

One other point...check out the number of US players declining the invitation to join their national team this year. In previous years this would have been an anathema...refusing to play "for your country"? Traitor!
    I'm not sure what your point is.

Refusing to play in the FIBA world cup is one thing, refusing to play in the Olympics is another. I don't think representing your country in the Olympics will ever get old; unless a player has suffered injuries or has a ton of mileage, they're going to be there.

A country like the USA has such an abundance of talent that it doesn't make a difference if Kawhi Leonard opts not to participate. When Canada gets going in the next couple of years we are going to need all our NBA-level talent. But if they've been hurt or excessively fatigued I'm not going to be angry if they decline the call, I'll just be disappointed.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

PG: Corey Joseph, Tyler Ennis
    SG: Nik Stauskas
    SF: Andrew Wiggins
    PF: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson
    C: Tristan Thompson

Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.

4. Like chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    No way in hell Wiggins ever plays for USA basketball. Look at us fans, trying to get ourselves worked up over astronomically unlikely scenarios.

On the plus side, I expect Canada to have squad stacked with NBA talent for the Pan Am and Fiba Americas tournaments next summer.

Others to consider: Khem Birch, Robert Sacre, Melvin Ejim, Brady Heslip, Kevin Pagnos, Sim Bhullar

I feel like I'm missing some guys, and I haven't even looked at 2015 NCAA players to see if it is again stacked with Canadian talent.

Realistically, Canada is the only team with a shot of dethroning the US team (should be legit competition by 2020 Olympics). Spain and Argentina had their time, but they haven't injected any new talent into the NBA in forever, while the Canadian talent keeps growing every year.
    Trey Lyles is likely our best NBA prospect for the 2015 draft. Should go top 10.

We're a little weak at C but by 2020 somebody will emerge, and we're deep at every other position. I'd actually consider travelling to the Olympics to see the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Trey Lyles is likely our best NBA prospect for the 2015 draft. Should go top 10.

We're a little weak at C but by 2020 somebody will emerge, and we're deep at every other position. I'd actually consider travelling to the Olympics to see the team.
    2020 Olympics are in Tokyo, so start saving now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Other young guys I see as having a shot (in rough order of likelihood)
    Olynyk
    Bachynski
    Powell
    Kris Joseph
    Wiltjer
    Rathan-Mayes
    Hanlan

plus Lyles, as Scraptor mentioned

France also has a lot of up-and-coming talent and they're actually a little ahead of Canada in terms of where they're at right now, and they continue to produce a couple draft-quality guys every year.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Other young guys I see as having a shot (in rough order of likelihood)
    Olynyk
    Bachynski
    Powell
    Kris Joseph
    Wiltjer
    Rathan-Mayes
    Hanlan

plus Lyles, as Scraptor mentioned

France also has a lot of up-and-coming talent and they're actually a little ahead of Canada in terms of where they're at right now, and they continue to produce a couple draft-quality guys every year.
    Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit, forgot about a lot of guys didn't I. Can't believe I forgot Olynyk, his game is tailor made for International ball.

Other than Tony Parker and Diaw, who are probably going to be done with international ball soon, who are the good french players? Fournier is the only one that comes to mind.
    Nic Batum
    Alexis Ajinca
    Jokim Noah
    De Colo
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Noah and Batum play for France.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Other NBA-calibre (or just below NBA-calibre) guys are: Batum, Noah, Ajinca, Turiaf, Mahinmi, Petro, Peitrus, Nando, plus our local pre-draft favorite, Damien Inglis. If they get a full turnout for the Olympics in 2016, that's a great team.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post

you forgot Kelly Olynyk, he will start
    Ball Don't Lie

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Realistically, Canada has an excellent chance of qualifying for Rio in 2016 (not a slam dunk). Having a roster chock full of NBA players does not guarantee very much in the FIBA world (Canada is ranked 25th).

Post Thanks / Like

Our current PG is Corey Joseph. I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it into Rio, and if we do, we won't get far. But Tokyo? We could win it all by Tokyo
    @Boymusic66

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Realistically, Canada has an excellent chance of qualifying for Rio in 2016 (not a slam dunk). Having a roster chock full of NBA players does not guarantee very much in the FIBA world (Canada is ranked 25th).
    Was there ever an international team chock full of NBA players that didn't have great success? The only international squads that have challenged the USA had a lot of NBA players.

I think it does guarantee you'll do well in FIBA. Eventually talent wins out when the disparity becomes big enough.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night

N. Stauskas 6 for 8 good efficent night
    A.Wiggins 10 pts 3 steals 2 Blocks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvyjeMBpKY
    A. Bennett 14 pts

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there ever an international team chock full of NBA players that didn't have great success? The only international squads that have challenged the USA had a lot of NBA players.

I think it does guarantee you'll do well in FIBA. Eventually talent wins out when the disparity becomes big enough.
    Chemisty and a great understanding of international rules is important and so Canadian ballers need to give up a lot of their summers . Just ask the U.S who started not taking it seriously for awhile and a roster of NBA allstars in 2002 finished 7th ..Italy has had better sucess internationally before all NBA players started making up their roster ...

Thompson even said it .. It takes awhile to get used to this FIBA game ..
    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lithuania challenged the usa in 2012. Greece is always top 5 in rank too

Post Thanks / Like

I guess, but they are like two years away from being two years away from having a chance to be two years away.. Since US national team started taking preparations seriously, the only team that challenged them was Spain, and Spain had
    - two legit all stars (Gasols)
    - multiple quality NBA starters (Ibaka, Rubio, Calderon)
    - the rest of the roster was filled with NBA role players and Euro stars, who probably could've been in the NBA if they wanted to
    - and last but not least, they were a very big team that could dominate US in the post. Talent helped, but they were a mismatch too. If they were just a team with a couple perimeter all stars, US probably blows them out.

So my approach is wait and see. Lots of things have to go right for Canada. These prospects have to develop into multiple all stars and NBA starters, stay healthy, commit to national team at the same time, adjust to FIBA rules well, and even that isn't a guarantee that US won't blow them out.

By the way, I'm actually more optimistic about Bennett now than I ever was. When he was in college, I thought he's Brandon Bass. But now he's lost some weight and he actually looks fine in this summer league, he doesn't look lazy, he's showing talent. I'm intrigued about him going into the next season.

Post Thanks / Like

USA teams with NBA rosters finished fifth at FIBA World Championship in 2002, 3rd at the Olympics in 2004, and 3rd in FIBA World Championship in 2006. Greece beat the USA in the FIBA World Championship with zero NBA players. The USA squad included LBJ, Melo, Wade, Bosh, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be super cool if Canada hired David Blatt as a coach, he's already coaching 4 canadians, he's one of the best fiba coaches right now, has coached many succesful national teams, but sotuation with coaching a NBA team and a national team could be tricky, dont know if that's even legal...

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information