Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Basketball

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that long-term, the potential advantage we're going to have over most teams is our shooting and floor-spacing. Look at the number of stretch big-men we have: Olynyk, Nicholson, Bennett, Powell, and Lyles are all solid floor-stretchers, We've got traditional knock-down shooting wings in guys like Stauskas and Heslip (who I think will be a big part of the team even though he won't make the NBA). Wiggins and Justin Jackson (who'll be a big part of the team by 2020) will have loads of room to go to work in the lane and kick-out to the open guy. Should be a really entertaining brand of basketball.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Our current PG is Corey Joseph. I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it into Rio, and if we do, we won't get far. But Tokyo? We could win it all by Tokyo
    Joseph looked good in international ball last year. The big problem was that their was nothing behind him. Backup PG was a major problem.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Tyler Ennis gets some good development time in.. doesn't look good considering the depth that the Suns have at PG. Hopefully a trade is brewing there.

But if Tyler ends up in the D-League for most of the year or next year he's not going to be that good for Canada and that will be a disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I hope Tyler Ennis gets some good development time in.. doesn't look good considering the depth that the Suns have at PG. Hopefully a trade is brewing there.

But if Tyler ends up in the D-League for most of the year or next year he's not going to be that good for Canada and that will be a disappointment.
    That reminds me, Philip Scrubb (of the Carleton Ravens) is probably in the mix as an option for PG for Canada in the coming years.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    That reminds me, Philip Scrubb (of the Carleton Ravens) is probably in the mix as an option for PG for Canada in the coming years.
    Canada's next PG is a Scrubb.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    USA teams with NBA rosters finished fifth at FIBA World Championship in 2002, 3rd at the Olympics in 2004, and 3rd in FIBA World Championship in 2006. Greece beat the USA in the FIBA World Championship with zero NBA players. The USA squad included LBJ, Melo, Wade, Bosh, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard.
    Everyone is dancing around the point I was making, but you came closest to giving me a real answer. The 2002 USA team is the only international team that had a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal. That was the year where the US famously didn't give a fuck, and caused the whole program to get revamped.
    Greece, and all those other teams are irrelevant to my point, since as you pointed out, they didn't have NBA players.

I'm making the point that if you have a team full of NBA players in international ball, you will medal. Not the inverse, that if you have a team devoid of NBA talent, you won't medal.

Other than that 2002 USA squad, I don't think there has been a single international team with a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Everyone is dancing around the point I was making, but you came closest to giving me a real answer. The 2002 USA team is the only international team that had a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal. That was the year where the US famously didn't give a fuck, and caused the whole program to get revamped.
    Greece, and all those other teams are irrelevant to my point, since as you pointed out, they didn't have NBA players.

I'm making the point that if you have a team full of NBA players in international ball, you will medal. Not the inverse, that if you have a team devoid of NBA talent, you won't medal.

Other than that 2002 USA squad, I don't think there has been a single international team with a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal.
    Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post

There might be minutes for him. There's 96 combined minutes every night at PG/SG, and him and Thomas could split those 30 leftover. If Bledsoe, Dragic or Thomas go down though, there's a whole bunch of minutes for him.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Anonymous NBA GM Would Take Tyler Ennis Over Kyrie Irving Right Now

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ving-right-now

Dumb GM ?? or did his stock drop ?
    Last edited by guyroch; Wed Jul 16th, 2014 at 11:12 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..
    Well...there were all those years that Dirk was on Germany but they didn't do anything. Or Deng on England. Otherwise I agree. When Canada didn't qualify I wasn't surprised. Those NBA guys were all young, and if Thompson is considered your best player you're in trouble. Just give it a few years and the depth and experience will be huge.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

anyone else worried that Stauskus and Ennis both ended up in horrible development situations...Olynyk isn't really getting the necessary burn either
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    anyone else worried that Stauskus and Ennis both ended up in horrible development situations...Olynyk isn't really getting the necessary burn either
    Not really. Stauskus will at least get a ton of playing time. Ennis will be in the D-League a lot this year, as long as the Suns re-up Bledsoe.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Stauskas, but Ennis for sure. I have to believe Phoenix wants in on the Love sweepstakes or is preparing some other gambit. Dragic/Lowry/Thomas makes no sense otherwise.

I also am a little concerned that Wiggins isn't going to get the requisite reps with a win-now focus in Cleveland. He needs the responsibility of being the man; I don't want him to develop an attitude of relaxing while Lebron takes care of all the toughest situations. Plus I don't think Lebron would be a great mentor. Would much prefer to see Wiggins end up in Minnesota, even if it means breaking up the Cleveland Canadians.

Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento seems to be starting to turn things around, Stauskas will be to good to keep off the floor. Phoenix still has not re-signed Bledsoe yet, there is a chance he get playing time early, also if he does stay with the big club he will be learning from some solid guards.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Post Thanks / Like

Basketball Canada is going to announce in the next day or two who is on the roster for the SMNT making the trip to Europe for exhibitions against World Cup qualifiers. I think it's important to get a pool of players practicing and playing together this summer under FIBA rules in preparation for next summer's Olympic qualification tournament.

Wiggins and Tyler Ennis are not under contract yet. Stauskas is.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Basketball Canada is going to announce in the next day or two who is on the roster for the SMNT making the trip to Europe for exhibitions against World Cup qualifiers. I think it's important to get a pool of players practicing and playing together this summer under FIBA rules in preparation for next summer's Olympic qualification tournament.

not under contract ? I thought you had to be signed in order to play in summer league .

Post Thanks / Like

not under contract ? I thought you had to be signed in order to play in summer league .
    Players under contract can still be traded so some teams hold off. Players don't need to be under contract to play Summer League games just be insured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Players under contract can still be traded so some teams hold off. Players don't need to be under contract to play Summer League games just be insured.
    A good example: our own BeBe. He is not yet signed, and he's playing for our team.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,

20. Like stretch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,
    Thanks. Last year's roster was weakest in depth at the point guard position and they could have used a true center, a low post type threat and rim protector.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information