Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 357

Thread: Canada Basketball

  1. #121
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,
    Makes sense. I'd expect all of this years draftees to be working with their new teams all summer. Olynyk and Bennett would be nice additions. Would also like to see Sacre there since we are desperate for a true center.

  2. #122
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

    How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..
    Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

    Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

    Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

    Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

    Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.

  3. #123
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

    Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

    Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

    Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

    Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.
    The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
    Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.
    tank-agnostic

  4. #124
    Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.

  5. #125
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.
    Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  6. #126
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nothing but rumours for now but if Wiggins goes to Minny, that will be too bad for the Canada Basketball training camp we would have run all season in Cleveland. On the plus side, start the clock ticking to the Raptor Wiggins.
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

  7. #127
    Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
    Yeah it's just perfect for us really.

  8. #128
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default




  9. #129
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  10. #130
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    i would do it but clevland wouldnt
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  11. #131
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DD for Stauskas + stuff would be realistic

  12. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  13. #132
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!

  14. #133
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!
    An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  15. #134
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

    Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

    Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

    Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

    History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

    PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.

  16. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
  17. #135
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

    Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

    Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

    Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

    History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

    PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.
    DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

    And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

    IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

    I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  18. #136
    Raptors Republic Rookie kopite91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    T-Dot
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
    Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

    Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

  19. #137
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball....
    Hope a lot of them play together this summer. I understand the recent draftees might not be there but it would be nice if they could be. I'm hoping watching the Canadian team play international ball this summer will be a better experience than watching summer league play with the Raptors...

    On a side note, nice to see the expanded coverage of summer league and international ball. 5-10 years ago you couldn't see a lot of this stuff. Tip of the hat to NBATV Canada and the Cable Sports Channels

  20. #138
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

    That is just the built in excuse if we do poorly, and I think it's bullshit. Pretty much everyone on team Canada played for team Canada junior teams growing up (Wiggins, Ennis, Bennett, Olynyk, etc....), so they all already have experience in that rule set. Also, it's still basketball, it's not that much different. Fucking Mexico won the America's last summer, with one fringe NBA talent and a team full of guys who don't play in Europe. No reason a team Canada with the talent we should have now doesn't steamroll every team in those America's tournaments.

  21. #139
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

    And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

    IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

    I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

    Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

    Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

    The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

    Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.

  22. Like chico liked this post
  23. #140
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

    Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

    Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

    The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

    Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.
    Exactly what I was saying when if we were to trade for him he wouldn't fit with the team.



    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. stretch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •