Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Basketball

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,
    Makes sense. I'd expect all of this years draftees to be working with their new teams all summer. Olynyk and Bennett would be nice additions. Would also like to see Sacre there since we are desperate for a true center.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..
    Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Brazil had Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, and Splitter.

Argentina had Scola, Ginobli, Prigioni, and Delfino.

Russia had Kirilenko, Mozgov, and Shved.

Kirilenko was certainly an NBA starter in 2012.

Good finds though. Easy to see how Canada's squad will quickly surpass those clubs talent wise. The real surge should come from Wiggins, Stauskas, and Ennis though. So 2016 will be mighty interesting if all the Canadians are on board.
    The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
    Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Think we medal in the 2020 O's. We'll have Lyles and a bunch of other NBA guys by that point.
    Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing but rumours for now but if Wiggins goes to Minny, that will be too bad for the Canada Basketball training camp we would have run all season in Cleveland. On the plus side, start the clock ticking to the Raptor Wiggins.
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Ennis will all be in their primes as well.
    Yeah it's just perfect for us really.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Would you guys trade DeRozan straight up for Wiggins?

i would do it but clevland wouldnt
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

DD for Stauskas + stuff would be realistic

12. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    An ALL STAR for draft picks? On a good contract? Straight? You guys are insane!
    An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

An all star for an exact 6 year younger version of him but taller, longer, and more athletic is something you might want to consider, except that this team would take steps back with this trade unless you trade Lowry, PPatt, Vasquez, Will, etc.

Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.

16. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who hasn't proven anything. Whose one year in NCAA's was a disappointment. Who is YEARS behind DeMar in his development.

Also, you think that trade would set the team back UNLESS you trade Lowry, 2PAt, Vasquez...how many years must I type the exact same things on this site? Team stability, experience and team success are all connected.

Look at the last 3 champions... SA, Miami, and Dallas. They all have vets, and had very little turnover when they won those titles. This past championships was between the 2 oldest teams in the league.

Vets with playoff experience win championships. If you can put together the Heat and have superstars that's awesome. But if you can't, the only other option is to get young talent, help them grow, retain them, get playoff experience and add bits and pieces to get over the last hurdle.

History has shown that their are only so many ways to win titles -- trading young, established talent, for rookies is not one of those ways. That's a great way to get on a treadmill to mediocrity, or rebuild. You NEVER trade one of your top 2 players for a rookie.

PLUS this is a DeMar thread not a ridiculous trade idea thread.
    DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

Raptors Republic Rookie kopite91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    The thing I worry about is that the Euro and South American teams in general have players who are used to international ball rules and single-elimination tournaments, a style of competition that north american players don't get outside of college. The US has been able to overcome those obstacles through a huge talent differential, high participation rates (at least for major tournaments) and a good international program. The talent differential that the US holds should translate to 30 pt wins over every other country. But it doesn't, because of these other factors.
    Which is why I worry that NBA talent alone may not be enough to elevate Canada above some of the Euro clubs. We saw how much Nicholson - who at the FIBA Americas, could have often been the most dominant player on the court - struggle with adapting to the rules and the style of play. We may have the same weaknesses as the US, (unfamiliarity with international rules and style of play, a more gruelling regular season), without their excellent participation rates, sheer talent differential, and coaching. We have little control over the talent differential; we might get to the point of having more talent than most Euro teams, but we'll never have near the sort of advantage that the US has. Which is why the program-related stuff (coaching, participation, preparation) will be crucial.
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball....
    Hope a lot of them play together this summer. I understand the recent draftees might not be there but it would be nice if they could be. I'm hoping watching the Canadian team play international ball this summer will be a better experience than watching summer league play with the Raptors...

On a side note, nice to see the expanded coverage of summer league and international ball. 5-10 years ago you couldn't see a lot of this stuff. Tip of the hat to NBATV Canada and the Cable Sports Channels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post
    Interesting cause Nash did stress about the lack of international experience in this video. The fact that the kids haven't played in clubs in Europe and aren't familiar with their style of play and the rules in international ball.

That is just the built in excuse if we do poorly, and I think it's bullshit. Pretty much everyone on team Canada played for team Canada junior teams growing up (Wiggins, Ennis, Bennett, Olynyk, etc....), so they all already have experience in that rule set. Also, it's still basketball, it's not that much different. Fucking Mexico won the America's last summer, with one fringe NBA talent and a team full of guys who don't play in Europe. No reason a team Canada with the talent we should have now doesn't steamroll every team in those America's tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like

DeMar didn't prove anything when we picked him, and he improved. Wiggins is a much better prospect than DeRozan was 5 years ago, don't get my wrong I love DD, he's my favorite player in the world, but who do you think will have a better career?

And I said if we were to trade for Wiggins, why keep those guys who will be in their primes without an all star like DeRozan to help them get further in the playoffs? You think Wiggins is gonna lead them to the promise land at 20 or 21? No

IF we traded DD for Wiggins, then why would we keep a 25 year old Patterson, 27 year old Vasquez, 28 year old Lowry, 26 year old Amir and waste the years of their prime where we would get no where instead of trading them for picks, young players, and rebuild with Wiggins, Ross, Bruno, Bebe, JV, and those young players/picks acquired by the trades?

I asked if we would trade Wiggins (Canadian basketball player who has to do with this thread) for DeRozan straight up. That doesn't mean I'm saying Cavs would accept, I'm just playing the game of 'who would you rather have'.

Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.

22. Like chico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, DeMar hadn't proven anything as a rookie, but he has now. My point is that the team as currently constructed, can't wait for Wiggins to pique. Trading DeMar for Wiggins sets the team back years, and puts leadership responsibilities on a kid who has never displayed those qualities.

Also, I disagree that Andrew is a better prospect than DeMar was. Does he have more hype? More potential? Sure. But DeMar did more for USC than Wiggins did for Kansas.

Do I think Wiggins will become a better player than DeMar? Yes. But you don't build a team with excellent personal chemistry, create a culture, start winning, and then trade your best player. That would kill a locker room. It would set back the team by years.

The best thing for basketball in Canada is a Toronto Raptors that is consistently in the playoffs, that at some point has a legit shot at a title, and changes the media landscape of how basketball is reported. I don't care where the players are from.

Do I want Wiggins to one day wear a Raptors uniform? Yes. But not at the expense of destroying what is being built here.
    Exactly what I was saying when if we were to trade for him he wouldn't fit with the team.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information